PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting with weapons questions

Whit
2018-01-16, 02:35 PM
Hi all.
Verbal speak
Somatic hand and or body gestures
Material l. Material components or a focus item

My simple question would be do I need warcaster feat if I知 using a two handed weapon to cast a spell like shield or fire bolt

Or is it for those that have a weapon and shield or a weapon in each hand

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-16, 02:38 PM
Hi all.
Verbal speak
Somatic hand and or body gestures
Material l. Material components or a focus item

My simple question would be do I need warcaster feat if I知 using a two handed weapon to cast a spell like shield or fire bolt

Or is it for those that have a weapon and shield or a weapon in each hand

If you've got a two-handed weapon, but aren't actively swinging it, then you can just hold it in one hand and cast with the other. Not sure if that is completely RAW or not, but it seems to be fairly standard around here. Dual-wielding or Sword-and-board: you need Warcaster Feat.

Whit
2018-01-16, 02:44 PM
Is RAW used in adventure league and if so or not what痴 the final rule. Up to the DM?
Example. I知 in combat swinging my two handed sword. On creature turn it hits my ac. I use reaction spell shield to increase my ac and now the hit missed

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-16, 04:50 PM
It's in errata, or Sage Advice, but it's specifically mentioned that 2-handed weapons only require the second hand at the time of making an Attack with it.
Meaning that 2nd hand is free to do somatic and/or material components for spells at all other times.