PDA

View Full Version : One unlimited/per day 3rd lvl spell: which one would you choose and why?

Unoriginal
2018-01-16, 08:56 PM
Hi folks!

I was thinking about some NPC statblocks to tweak for a BBEG, and a question came to mind:

If you had the choice to make your character have one 3rd level spell that they could cast an unlimited number of time per day (but with all the other limits in place and no way to upcast it), from any caster list, which one would take?

sambojin
2018-01-16, 08:58 PM
Suggestion. Might be a lvl2 spell, but yeah. Biggest BBEG. It might be concentration, but that's one character a round doing something "reasonable", on top of all the other things it can do to "explain everything".

Counterspell for a perpetual "screw you" on magical resources would be nice too.

Or Conjure Animals. Release the spam! Forever!

Pex
2018-01-16, 09:02 PM
Aura Of Vitality

Potato_Priest
2018-01-16, 09:05 PM
If I wanted to be OP, I'd choose Animate Dead or Tiny Servant from xanathars.

I usually don't want to be that kind of OP, but I really enjoy just hammering my way through dungeons, and there's only one spell that could add greatly to my capacity for doing so: Dispel magic. I could spam it at any magical barriers or traps or whatever presented itself, clearing the way for some good old pick axe and maul action.

Jerrykhor
2018-01-16, 09:05 PM
Counterspell

Kane0
2018-01-16, 09:09 PM
Thunder Step.

Damage, mobility, can transport a lackey AND is an obnoxious entrance/exit. The perfect BBEG spam spell.

Runner up is Counterspell. Nothing else comes close when it comes to annoying PCs.

mephnick
2018-01-16, 09:14 PM
It might not be the most useful, but I'm not a subtle person, so there ain't much that beats tossin' Fireballs around.

Tanarii
2018-01-16, 09:18 PM
Speak with Dead, Speak with Plants, Fly or Gaseous Form for an NPC that's a plot device Villian that operates solo. Sending for one that leads a group that the PCs are going to be dealing with. Counterspell if the PCs are going to kill him directly in battle*.

If 2nd level spells were on the table, Invisibility or Suggestion for sure for a plot device Villian.

*If you put the Pcs in the same room as a villain, assume that Villian is dead.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-16, 09:25 PM
Alter self:
1. The caster can impersonate a player.
2. When times are rough hides behind mooks and become a damsel in distress in some room further ahead and assassinate the party at night.
3. Cool arm blades or reinforced skin for some magic caster kung fu.
4. Can switch appearances at will.
5. Can troll the party by being underwater and cast illusion spells or flee while having a full cover.

the secret fire
2018-01-16, 09:27 PM
Counterspell is a great choice.

If the BBEG has minions to slow the party down, Spirit Guardians can be deadly.

Actually, now that I think of it...a bit unconventional but, spamming Leomund's Tiny Hut over minions with ranged weapons could be Run Away! level of scary and annoying. You'd have to give it a 1 round casting time, tho.

Potato_Priest
2018-01-16, 09:29 PM
Counterspell is a great choice.

If the BBEG has minions to slow the party down, Spirit Guardians can be deadly.

Actually, now that I think of it...a bit unconventional but, spamming Leomund's Tiny Hut over minions with ranged weapons could be Run Away! level of scary and annoying. You'd have to give it a 1 round casting time, tho.

The 1-min casting time and vulnerability to dispel seems like it would make this a less than stellar choice for a boss fight, unless you also shortened the casting time.

Naanomi
2018-01-16, 09:33 PM
Clairvoyance or Mass Healing Word, depending on the type of villain

LeonBH
2018-01-16, 09:33 PM
Agree that Counterspell is top pick.

Another good one is Major Image. Weave it in with your sometimes-real conjurations.

bc56
2018-01-16, 09:41 PM
For a BBEG, probably Vampiric Touch or Gaseous Form (healing and escape) feign death would be fun.
We're finally at the Dark Lord's chamber! Quick, cast Haste on me before we start the fight! (Enters room) ...WHAT?! He's dead already?!

IRL, I would choose Fly or Alter Self(a second level spell, I know). Those just seem like the.most fun.

On the topic of Alter Self, I used an Oni as a boss once. Wanted to have him be a recurring villain, but behind the scenes. He confused the players by using Invisibility and Darkness, then, when he was too injured, snuck into a secret room behind his throne and shapeshifted into a commoner. When the players didn't buy it, he used Gaseous Form to escape. It was a fun fight

sambojin
2018-01-16, 09:42 PM
Still thinking Conjure Animals as a goody. Spam, anti-tank knockdown and grapple, concentration tapper, or getaway vehicle. Even if the DM gets to pick what's summoned, guess what? You're the DM :)

Up to you if they get an action round after casting them in, but pulling a -Gandalf/Old Spice on them ("And now I'm riding an Eagle") should be funny.

All the other suggestions are good, but what BBEGs need is unlimited minions. Problem solved. Add portal plot if necessary. There's plenty of other spells/abilities that go "choose celestial, fey, or fiend" for the thingy summoned, so go wild. Typify them for your plot. Giant Fiendish Chaos-spawn Squids from Hell? Go right ahead. Fey Hunting Hounds of the Forever Forest? Sure. Crushing Phalanx of the Angels (reskinned Warhorses)? Yeah, why not... But they're "balanced/underpowered" in combat, until you have unlimited amounts of them. It just gives you, as the DM, options. Without it looking totally hand-wavy.

pdegan2814
2018-01-16, 10:05 PM
Counterspell would probably be my first choice, it's just too useful. Honorable mentions go to Fireball, Spirit Guardians, and Thunder Step.

alchahest
2018-01-16, 10:07 PM
It might not be the most useful, but I'm not a subtle person, so there ain't much that beats tossin' Fireballs around.

likewise, though to my taste, I like lightning bolt more.

the secret fire
2018-01-16, 10:19 PM
likewise, though to my taste, I like lightning bolt more.

If you play with old school lightning bolts that reflect off of solid surfaces (yay!), this could be dope with the right terrain.

sambojin
2018-01-16, 10:49 PM
The funny thing is, Fireballs aren't exactly uncommon against PCs. And Lightning Bolts, whilst awesome, are pretty hard to make liven up a game, or aim against players.

Against PCs, you usually want to do status ailments/conditions, or make the encounter interesting in whatever way you can. In many ways it's why Druids (kind-of the good, nature'y people) are great BBEGs. Get surprise on the party, slap down something as simple as Spike Growth on most of them, see what occurs.

There's not that many PCs at most tables. Usually 3-6 is "normal" for any adventure. So saying "unlimited fireballs!" isn't that great, because it just becomes dice rolling, and not thought put into it.

It's also kind of strange that the entire animal/beast section of the MM tends to have pretty cool, if underpowered DC/CR-wise, abilities. It's a pity they didn't extend this all over the place for lower level monsters, and given some basic guidance on how to ramp them up for higher level encounters.

So that's why I reckon Conjure Animals. The OP hasn't even said what sort of villain. But it sounds like he needs interesting combat options for encounters, not damage spam.

BoxANT
2018-01-16, 10:51 PM
Sending

Information is power.

lordshadowisle
2018-01-16, 11:51 PM
Unlimited Animate Dead is probably the most gamebreaking option, which works for a BBEG too.

For a good NPC, Create Food and Water might be the option with the greatest economic impact- a town or city could be easily fed by devoting one or a few hours to casting.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-01-17, 12:03 AM
I'd be tempted to choose Gaseous Form, but if if the BBEG could use it at-will, the PC's would be justified in murdering the GM. Talk about annoying....

Arcangel4774
2018-01-17, 12:33 AM
Thunder Step.

Damage, mobility, can transport a lackey AND is an obnoxious entrance/exit. The perfect BBEG spam spell.

Runner up is Counterspell. Nothing else comes close when it comes to annoying PCs.

Because ive been playing it recently, all i can imagine is zeke from xenoblade chronicle 2. Particulalry his first few encounters.

BobZan
2018-01-17, 06:14 AM
Blinding Smite!

Zanthy1
2018-01-17, 07:35 AM
I am going to echo Thunder Step. God for NPCs, but also so much fun for a PC.

Gardakan
2018-01-17, 07:55 AM
I'd have to go with either Mass Healing Word / Aura of Vitality or Counterspell.

Having that heal from a distance within a ''cantrip'' makes it quite good.

Counterspell on the other hand is just the ultimate way to nullify a spellcaster. A cantrip way to Counterspell at higher levels.