PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Verb for Psionics Use?

tmjr6
2018-01-16, 10:47 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering what word would make the most sense as a verb for psionics. With spellcasting we cast spells so what would we use for psionics?

Naanomi
2018-01-16, 10:51 PM
Historically? ‘Manifest’ I think

sambojin
2018-01-16, 11:00 PM
5e, it's called "cheesing".

*runs*

tmjr6
2018-01-16, 11:03 PM
5e, it's called "cheesing".

*runs*

In 5e, you're not wrong.

Regitnui
2018-01-16, 11:17 PM
Historically? ‘Manifest’ I think

I can confirm this. 3.5's Expanded Psionics Handbook was insistent that psionicists "manifest powers". I dare say calling them spells that are cast wouldn't offend anyone. Heck, it'll reflect the ideas most people (in-universe. Not players) have of psionics in Eberron.

Lawful Good
2018-01-16, 11:26 PM
In my limited experience with psionics, ive always just had them "cast" powers, like the above poster said.

Im probably offending so many people right now:smalltongue:

sambojin
2018-01-17, 12:38 AM
It's *manifest*.
"A psionicist is *manifesting* their power", if you'd like it in a sentence.

In 5e, it's still "Gee, I hope they don't make psionics too *cheesy*."
"A player in my group is *cheesing* their character with the Mystic UA."

Is that what you were looking for?

tmjr6
2018-01-17, 12:39 AM
Yes, thanks everyone.

Finlam
2018-01-17, 08:42 AM
I still prefer the term

Mindfreak!

Lawful Good
2018-01-17, 08:50 AM
I still prefer the term

Mindfreak!

Dont make me mindfreak you!

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-17, 09:03 AM
While 'manifest' and 'power' clearly have historical provenance, I'd like to point you to page 160 of the 5e Monster Manual. It specifies that the gith 'cast' 'spells' psionically.

Just throwing that out there.

Millstone85
2018-01-17, 10:02 AM
It specifies that the gith 'cast' 'spells' psionically.Some interesting quotes from Unearthed Arcana.
Psionics and magic are two distinct forces. In general, an effect that alters or affects a spell has no effect on a psionic effect. There is one important exception to this rule. A psionic effect that reproduces a spell is treated as magic. A psionic effect reproduces a spell when it allows a psionic creature or character to cast a spell. In this case, psionic energy taps into magic and manipulates it to cast the spell.

For example, the mind flayer as presented in the Monster Manual has the Innate Spellcasting (Psionics) feature. This feature allows the mind flayer to cast a set of spells using psionic energy. These spells can be countered with dispel magic and similar effects.
Psionics is a special form of magic use, distinct from spellcasting.

[...]

Psionics and spells are separate effects, and therefore their benefits and drawbacks overlap. A psionic effect that reproduces a spell is an exception to this rule.

As you can see, they changed their approach regarding whether or not psionics is magic.

But two things haven't changed:
1) Psionics is not spellcasting.
2) Psionics can be used for spellcasting.

This is coherent with the MM gith casting spells psionically, without making "cast" and "spell" part of the psionic jargon.

Regitnui
2018-01-17, 12:16 PM
While 'manifest' and 'power' clearly have historical provenance, I'd like to point you to page 160 of the 5e Monster Manual. It specifies that the gith 'cast' 'spells' psionically.

Just throwing that out there.

I follow the rules that they can counter each other if it comes up, so I agree with this.