PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Magic Nets?

EnnPeeCee
2018-01-16, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for a way to make a better net, but I'm struggling to find any info on whether it is possible or not. I'd like to be able to use a net with the character I'm working on, and was hoping to find a way to improve it.
Is there any way to improve the escape/break DCs for a net? Any way to improve its HP/hardness?
Any special materials a net can be made out of by RAW?
Any weapon enchantments that particularly benefit a net?
I found the Force Web in the AEG, which it tougher than a normal net, but still has the DC20 escape artist. Also out of my price range at the moment.
Are there any other special magic nets?
Google has failed to give me anything good so far, so I'm guessing either nets are unpopular, or no options exist.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Alternatively, is there any way to mass-produce nets on the fly? Something along the lines of the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades, except with nets? Spool of Endless Rope + Craft (Net)?

Bucky
2018-01-17, 12:33 AM
Nets can be enchanted like any other ranged weapon. Can I interest you in a +1 Spell-Storing Frost Net?

For mass producing mundane objects there's always Fabricate, just be sure to carry a lot of rope. Since busted nets are made of rope, you can use Fabricate again to recycle them.

EnnPeeCee
2018-01-17, 01:18 AM
Nets can be enchanted like any other ranged weapon. Can I interest you in a +1 Spell-Storing Frost Net?

For mass producing mundane objects there's always Fabricate, just be sure to carry a lot of rope. Since busted nets are made of rope, you can use Fabricate again to recycle them.

Right, but the enchantment doesn't benefit the break/escape DC. It does increase the hp and hardness a little, but it would still be easy for most combatants to destroy it in one hit.
Spell storing is a good idea.
Unfortunately, I'm not playing as a wizard, so no fabricate for me.

SangoProduction
2018-01-17, 01:34 AM
Not exactly what you are wanting, but for Lasso, which is almost the same mechanical effect, there is the Divine Lariat (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/divine-lariat) archetype for the Mageknight, in Spheres of Power. It's honestly underwhelming as all get out, and you may as well just refluff something else as a net, but it's there.

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-17, 10:38 AM
Not exactly what you are wanting, but for Lasso, which is almost the same mechanical effect, there is the Divine Lariat (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/divine-lariat) archetype for the Mageknight, in Spheres of Power. It's honestly underwhelming as all get out, and you may as well just refluff something else as a net, but it's there.

Here is some more lasso optimization that might help with ye old net. augment crystals and desmodu cable standing out. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?507609-Optimize-this-weapon-1-Lasso-from-BOED-p34&p=21442311#post21442311

Darrin
2018-01-17, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for a way to make a better net, but I'm struggling to find any info on whether it is possible or not. I'd like to be able to use a net with the character I'm working on, and was hoping to find a way to improve it.

Check out: Ways to optimize a net? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?309498-Ways-to-optimize-a-net)

Is there any way to improve the escape/break DCs for a net?

Well, just being entangled by a net imposes a -4 Dex penalty, so there's that to start with. From there... maybe try a contact poison? Terinav root (750 GP, DC 16, DMG/CAdv) does 1d6/2d6 Dex damage, although the paralysis from carrion crawler brain juice is tempting (200 GP, DC 13, DMG/CAdv). Sasson juice (500 GP, DC 18, BoVD) has a higher DC but does less Dex damage: 1d4/1d4.

Any way to improve its HP/hardness?

If the net is made out of metal wires or tiny chains, then you could apply the Dwarvencraft template (+600 GP, Races of Stone p. 159). This increases the hardness by 2, HP +10, and gives it a +2 on saving throws. The trailing rope can be made out of earthsilk (same book next page), which is stronger than silk rope: hardness 1, 10 HP, Str check DC 26 to break.

A net crafted by a chain devil or another denizen of the Nine Hells could add the Hellforged template (+1500 GP, DMGII). This increases hardness by 1 and HP by +5. Soulforged does the same thing, but is cheaper: 800 GP.

There's a spell in the Spell Compendium called hardening, which increases the hardness of an object by +1/2 CL. There's no maximum cap on the caster level, so you could abuse Circle Magic to give the net nigh-infinite hardness.

Any special materials a net can be made out of by RAW?

That's... kinda tricky, as the net has to be flexible enough to wrap around an opponent. Nets made out of wires or tiny chains should be possible, though, so in theory almost all the metallic special materials should be possible. Riverine, which would be unbreakable short of anything except disintegration/disjunction is a bit dodgy, but the rules allow chainmail to be made out of riverine, so presumably chain-links fashioned into nets should be possible. Aurorum (BoED) allows you to put the net back together if broken.

Any weapon enchantments that particularly benefit a net?

The net doesn't do any damage by itself, so that usually rules out any property that enhances or deals damage. Spell-Storing is probably the best option, and Bloodstone (+1 enhancement, MIC) is a variation on that. Any effect that triggers on a successful hit should work, though. Torturous (+1/+2 enhancement, Ghostwalk) comes to mind. Domineering (+2 enhancement, MIC) might be overpriced, but if the save vs. shaken fails, this incurs a -2 penalty on the Escape Artist check to get out. Stygian (+1 enhancement, MIC) bestows a negative level, which incurs a -1 penalty on checks to get out of the net.

Are there any other special magic nets?

Ghost net in the MIC, but it only works on incorporeal targets. There are a few magic items that entangle your opponent with something similar to a net: Lash of Sands, Whip of Webs, and Spider Rod.

Edit: Alternatively, is there any way to mass-produce nets on the fly? Something along the lines of the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades, except with nets? Spool of Endless Rope + Craft (Net)?

Shapesand (Sandstorm) might work, although if your target knows how shapesand works they could use a Wis check to reshape it. The psionic power call weaponry or psionic minor creation could be used to create nets.

Thurbane
2018-01-17, 03:46 PM
There are a few specific magical nets about:

Force Web (A&EG p107): +4 net that can affect incorporeal creatures
Ghost Net (MIC p.52): makes incorporeal targets vulnerable to normal attack
Gray Snare (A&EG p.108): +1 net that can transform into a gray ooze
Living Net (A&EG p.112): +2 net that allows free trip attempts

EnnPeeCee
2018-01-17, 09:06 PM
Hey thanks for the help, great suggestions so far.
I'm realizing that I may be getting ahead of myself a little bit though. The character I'm working on will be starting at level 7, which puts a lot of these things outside of my price range for now. Some good stuff to look for in the future, but I think for now I need to settle for something more mundane.

The DM for this campaign is new to DMing, and fairly new to the game in general, so I'd like to stick purely within RAW for this. I don't want to pressure him with making rulings about stuff.
A couple things I've been wondering, with that in mind:

I know it makes sense to be able to make a metal wire net (out of various special metals), but it seems to me that the net as written is a rope net. Is there any precedence laid out in the rules that would allow making a new out of a metal?

Secondly, is it actually possible to repair a net by the rules?
The entry for the net gives it HP and a burst DC, which means it can be broken.
The section about object hp and hardness says that an item is destroyed if its HP drops to 0. Is a "destroyed" item repairable? I'm thinking not.
The craft skill states that you can use craft to repair items, but its not really clear what "repairing" specifically is. Does that mean being able to return a destroyed item to usability, or is it just removing damage from a damaged item?
Enchanting a net seems extremely risky to me, if the first thing you throw it on destroys it and it loses all of its enchantments.

Darrin
2018-01-18, 08:53 AM
I know it makes sense to be able to make a metal wire net (out of various special metals), but it seems to me that the net as written is a rope net. Is there any precedence laid out in the rules that would allow making a new out of a metal?

The rulebook never specifies a material for nets. Here's how the PHB describes it: "A fighting net has small barbs in the weave and a trailing rope to control netted opponents."

So... the rope portion we know could be either hemp or silk. Earthsilk is an option from Races of Stone. The barbs... those are probably metal, akin to fishhooks, but from what I understand by the term "fighting net", they are likely referring to the weighted net wielded by the Roman retiaurius. After some googling, I'm not finding a lot of references to barbed nets. The best I can find mentions barbs that are designed to catch clothing rather than flesh, but from what I understand, Roman gladiators weren't particularly fond of wearing a lot of clothing. The Roman weighted net was usually made out of flax, but hemp was also possible. So, as far as special materials go, you could probably fashion a net out of any special material that could be fashioned into clothing or rope. That... is a very small list. And since we don't have any RAW stats on any kind of net made out of a different material, you'd essentially have to homebrew something and ask if the DM will allow it.

Secondly, is it actually possible to repair a net by the rules?
The entry for the net gives it HP and a burst DC, which means it can be broken.
The section about object hp and hardness says that an item is destroyed if its HP drops to 0. Is a "destroyed" item repairable? I'm thinking not.

Destroyed items can be repaired. You can either consider the remaining pieces to be the "raw materials" necessary to making your Craft checks and you just create a new item out of that, or the DM can assign a monetary value to the repairs and have you make daily/weekly Craft checks until the repair is complete.

The mending cantrip can be used to repair damaged/destroyed items if they are under 1 pound. Unfortunately, a typical net weighs 6 pounds, so you might have to use make whole instead. If I were DM, I'd rule that after a creature breaks out of a net, there is enough good netting remaining that the damage can be repaired with three mending spells.

Enchanting a net seems extremely risky to me, if the first thing you throw it on destroys it and it loses all of its enchantments.

Make whole is a 2nd level spell, you could add a 1/day command-word ability to a magic net that repairs it for only 2160 GP. Just specify that it can be used whenever the net is broken, so long as it isn't disintegrated or disjuncted.

Falontani
2018-01-18, 02:49 PM
if you can find a way to make the net deal piercing or slashing damage the enchantment Fleshgrinding from BVD would work to improve the potency of the net. Although that is a very scary image.