PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best Wisdom SAD build

D4rkh0rus
2018-01-16, 11:51 PM
Assuming that all stats except con and Wis are 10, and the other 2 are 16 and 20 respectively (after race bonuses). And that the Guided weapon property is allowed if needed (melee weapons only).

what would be the best class in a highly competitive, high magic setting and why?

My character died due to being too weak, and the DM allowed me retrain everything but my stats after being revived, we're at level 10.
The Dm doesnt like dipping, so he said any ability that gives X to Y is capped by the levels in the class that grants it (but it stacks with other classes that grant it).
In order to give us some leeway, he is allowing us 5 'free' levels in the form of Gestalt (but only 5).

The campaign is combat focused with a battle of the week type of session, so I wanted to build something good, but I'm at a loss as to what.

mistermysterio
2018-01-17, 02:16 AM
Third party (DSP) allowed? Paizo only? Any other rules? Do you have a party you are trying to fit in to (and thus, their classes and what not), or anything goes as long as it is individually strong?

Ellrin
2018-01-17, 02:34 AM
Assuming that all stats except con and Wis are 10, and the other 2 are 16 and 20 respectively (after race bonuses). And that the Guided weapon property is allowed if needed (melee weapons only).

what would be the best class in a highly competitive, high magic setting and why?

My character died due to being too weak, and the DM allowed me retrain everything but my stats after being revived, we're at level 10.
The Dm doesnt like dipping, so he said any ability that gives X to Y is capped by the levels in the class that grants it (but it stacks with other classes that grant it).
In order to give us some leeway, he is allowing us 5 'free' levels in the form of Gestalt (but only 5).

The campaign is combat focused with a battle of the week type of session, so I wanted to build something good, but I'm at a loss as to what.

I mean, with those stats it's hard to go wrong with a straight cleric or druid; empyreal bloodline sorcerer will be more than solid, as well.

Is there a specific kind of role/theme you're looking for? And are those gestalt levels already built in at level 10, or are you getting them going forward?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-17, 02:43 AM
I mean, with those stats it's hard to go wrong with a straight cleric or druid;

Agree with this sentiment. There's probably some archetypes and builds that work better than others, but base classes wise these stats are near optimized for cleric or druid, two of the biggest powerhouses in the game.

Druid is a bit more complex to play because of the wildshape and companion mechanics, and it peaks a little earlier in terms of when it's most powerful compared to other classes. The best levels for a druid, comparatively, are something like 8-15 while the cleric is a bit closer to the wizard (although less extreme because of a decent defensive package) in higher being better. Because of wildshape a good con score is going to benefit a cleric more, but a a low strength and dex score are going to bother the druid less.

So as far as there is a difference: for the most power at your current level and for more complex play options: druid. For a slightly simpler build and a stronger focus on the long run: cleric.

If the decision comes down to flavor: Keep in mind a druid in the upper level range attacking someone looks like two bears, one of them casts a spell to summon a third bear and they all eat the enemy.

EDIT: Oh right, gestalt. Something with lots of hitpoints, armor proficiencies and full BaB is always nice to gestalt to a caster, although that's mostly important below level 10. Fighter or Barbarian will work while adding little complexity to the character. That makes the case for cleric slightly stronger, since it reduces the impact of the extra bulk the druid gets from being two bears.

Florian
2018-01-17, 03:03 AM
For the 5 Gestalt levels: Cleric and Empyreal Sorcerer, for the 5 non-Gestalt levels: Mythic Theurge. Done. :P

Edit: Also an interesting option, main class: Spiritualist, gestalt class: Fighter.

D4rkh0rus
2018-01-17, 10:08 AM
Third party (DSP) allowed? Paizo only? Any other rules? Do you have a party you are trying to fit in to (and thus, their classes and what not), or anything goes as long as it is individually strong?

Paizo 1st party allowed, 3rd party needs to be talked with the GM (but at most only 1 3rd party thing), and im looking for an individually strong build.

mistermysterio
2018-01-17, 11:11 AM
As others have said, Cleric or Druid are both solid options for a character with the stats you gave.

You could also try looking up a Zen Archer (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nix8?Zen-and-the-Art-of-Monk-Maintenance-A-Guide#1) monk, though the low dexterity will hurt a little.

Alternatively, a mystic (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sCIm2NOaSgY5hM1fFaBqlMaCerLeyBq0UPonK9fTiY8/edit) might work well as well, though it is third party (DSP - Path of War Expanded).

Good luck!

Geddy2112
2018-01-17, 02:57 PM
I second cleric or druid for tier 1 caster oomph. A full caster druid can make great use of wild shape to simply fly away from battle as a small creature and rain magic. A cleric lacks wild shape but has stronger magic. Both can simply summon spam if need be.

If you want a gestalt, a zen archer monk backup on a cleric could be fun, or you could warpriest with a guided weapon. You could also do warpriest guided and gestalt something onto that.

An empyreal bloodline sorcerer uses wisdom instead of charisma for casting and bloodline powers, could also be fun.

Galacktic
2018-01-17, 03:11 PM
If Dreamscarred Press is an option, a Soulknife with Focused Offense and Focused Defense for their early level blade skills literally only needs con and wisdom.

D4rkh0rus
2018-01-17, 04:00 PM
Sadly DSP is just plain out. I do Like the idea of the Warpriest with guided. It seems interesting.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-17, 05:35 PM
Inquisitor has some good options for a Wisdom-focused build. Monster Hunter and various archetype substitutions, along with the I think it was Reformation Inquisition, let you add or substitute your Wisdom for a whole mess of skill checks.

Eldonauran
2018-01-17, 06:26 PM
Hmm, seems to be something fairly well suited for a Nature Fang Druid that worships Gorum.

Use your Gesalt Levels to pick up Rogue (I suggest Unchained for the debuffs on hit) and slap on the Scout archetype. Pick up Divine Fighting Technique (Gorum) to allow for Vital Striking sneak attack on a charge attack. Take the Feather Domain and Boon Companion, for high Perception and a flanking (pouncing buddy), and pick up Opportunist (psuedo-pounce) with your 10th Level Slayer Talent for a free vital strike AoO after your animal companion strikes your enemy. +1 Guided Fortuitous Greatsword

As far as hit points go, just get a familiar with the protector archetype and have it absorb half the damage you take. Eldritch Heritage is a good route, though you could take the crocodile domain to get a familiar and more sneak attack. I like the feather domain more, simply because it adds back in the wildshape-esque abilities through domain spells.