PDA

View Full Version : Eve?

MandibleBones
2007-08-24, 11:14 PM
Anyone play EVE-Online?

I'm just starting out (been on for a week) playing a Gallente Intaki. Any other OotSers in the EVE-verse?

Maxymiuk
2007-08-25, 01:43 AM
Aye aye, cap'n. Though if you cut me open it'd be Caldari all the way through. :smalltongue:

The Evil Thing
2007-08-25, 02:43 PM
Present and (slightly un)accounted for.

My character's name is Penchance.

I'm Caldari and my appalling track record with Apocs and Geddons has earned me the nickname "The Great Perish of Battleships". Have never lost a Raven or Scorp though. w00t.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-25, 04:33 PM
EVE is a game that has numerous features that I love to death, but for some reason I never managed to sink myself into it properly.

Stoneburr
2007-08-25, 04:38 PM
Meh, it when I tried it, all the cool things seemed sooooo far away, all the time you have to invest into the game, without really being able to work towards your goal. :smallfrown:

The Evil Thing
2007-08-26, 02:35 AM
That's certainly true if you take the industrial route, but if you just want to fight stuff then it's very quick and easy to move up the ladder. You can (theoretically) fly a BS in about two-three weeks, but that time is much better spent training up skills to reliably fly a frigate.

Hypothetical
2007-08-26, 05:02 AM
I have 3 Characters, 2 Gallente Jin-Mei's ( one Spec Ops one Army) and one Gallante Gallante in the CAS.

My Army Jin-Mei is named CloudWilliam.

Still waiting for anyone to get that reference...without Googleing it.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-08-26, 02:56 PM
I tried, I really did, but those damn tutorials were agonizing. I never got through them.

NEO|Phyte
2007-08-26, 03:12 PM
If I ever get a job so that I could afford to play, I'd start playing as quick as I can get it downloaded again, trial account limitations aside, I found it quite enjoyable, and that was with pretty much 0 player interaction on my part.

I'll be Caldari, because missiles and railguns are awesome. Not sure whether I'll be fighty, worky, or something else, but my pipedream is to build and pilot a Titan. Alone. I'm well aware that it will most likely NEVER HAPPEN, but dammit, can't a man dream?

GrayMatter
2007-08-26, 03:52 PM
I had very high hopes for Eve as I love space games, but I got somewhat discouraged at the realization that the training system would always keep previous players ahead of me, and there wasn't any skill, tactic, stratagem, flash of genius, or act of God that could change that. Just the way that all of the manufacturing and research slots were locked tight for real-time months by players that were suppressing competition told me something very bad about the game.

It got much more discouraging when I ventured into the lower-sec territories. I found that the worst kind of people were griefing for the worst reasons, and using the lame excuse that "the game lets me, so it must be ok". The chat logs alone qualified as X-rated material, and there wasn't anything you could do to fix their attitude against their uber ships and weapons, no matter how smart you were or how good you could pilot your ship. It takes a medium sized corp just to clean a small sector, and it'll cost you a bazillion isk (and your real life for months) to keep it clean until the pirates finally go find someone else to bother.

Add to that the Dev/Guide "deals" being given out to selected corporations that buttered the right side of the bread in chat (personally saw a weekly half-billion isk profit sweetheart deal made by a Serpentis Admiral and a corporation I belonged to - this was not open to anyone else) and it became very clear that this was not a "level playing field" where anyone could win if they were good enough and tried hard enough. The long-term players own the game, and unless you want to polish their spaceboots, you are just grist for their mill.

Sorry to bring you down, hope you have fun doing what you are doing, but I thought you should have some warning about what you might find going on if you venture past .5 sec.
Best of luck!

Triaxx
2007-08-27, 02:40 PM
I considered EVE, several times, but I've discovered two things. I have really, really, bad internet connection. And I've found more horror stories, than I have games that require patching on release.

There is a competing project, by the name of Infinity. You might check it out.

alchahest
2007-08-29, 07:36 PM
I had the good fortune to be in one of the most fun - if most reviled - corps in the game. because of membership to a certain group elsewhere, I was able to join what would become the largest single corp in the game, and had a blast right from day one. The corp gave me some frigs to start with while I learned the skills I needed, and I started in zero sec, and because of the backing of my corp, I was able to make sure that while I learned the ropes, there were always people to help me, and people I could help. I ended up flying interceptors and defending the miners, or helping blockade our jump points and take out rail snipers on the other side.

I had a blast. played amarr, btw. lasers were pretty underpowered but I liked them anyways.

leperkhaun
2007-08-31, 01:53 AM
part of the swarm ehh? bzzzzzzz

alchahest
2007-09-03, 07:00 PM
yup. probably the most fun I've ever had starting off in an MMO.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-10, 03:08 PM
So, I've started up yet another 14-day trial, and in the interests of trying something new, made a miner, and took up the recruitment offer I received from a fledgling corp about 3 hours into my dude's life.

I think I'm well and proper hooked now, having other people to experience the game with makes quite a difference. Now I just need to get a job so I can pay for the game. Currently flying a Bantam, But I'm close to being able to fly an Osprey, which I *think* is the best for mining I can get on a trial account. I certainly plan on going for a mining barge once I can.

Dude's name is Gabriel Lochheed, if anyone cares.

Berand
2007-09-11, 10:37 PM
I'm glad you asked about Eve!

The thing is, Eve is exactly what you make of it.

People who get bored with Eve early, almost invariably spent weeks of their time doing boring industrial work by themselves. Maybe they made a brief foray in to low-sec and got pwned by some pirates, or joined a tiny little start-up corp with bad leadership. But that's about it. There is most definitely a learning curve in this game, and if button-mashing and games with no real risk involved are your bag, Eve isn't for you. The things you earn have serious value to them, because other players can take them away. Dying has serious repercussions, unlike every other MMO out there.

Eve is defined by your interaction with the other players. Here's how to get started in five easy steps:

1. Download it (https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=102321&nogreet=1) and set up your free trial account.

2. Go through the tutorial, which has been recently updated.

3. Spend a few days running missions and doing mining, etc. Just get a very basic feel for how things go. At this stage, stay in 0.5 security systems and above, no matter what. No exceptions.

4. Join the corporation Eve University, in the Ivy League Alliance. Their forum with recruiting information is here (http://www.eve-ivy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28). This is a player group that does nothing but recruit and train new players, then send them out in the world.

5. After that, you need to make your way in to 0.0 space. Join a territory-holding alliance and jump in with the big dogs. Don't worry about flying your t1 frigate or cruiser in a gang with a bunch of BS and HAC pilots. Everyone has a role they can fill. Before you know it, you're a big dog yourself. :)

For the person who was complaining that there's no way for a new player to compete with an old, I couldn't disagree more. There's a serious point of diminishing return on skillpoints. A veteran player may be able to fly dreadnoughts and carriers, but that does them no good at all when you're flying small ships. They may have a few more skills at V then you, but those only make a difference when all other things are equal. There are a million ways to get an advantage. If PvP is your place of interest, you might try looking up Agony Unleashed. It's another player corp that specializes in running PvP classes for the inexperienced.

Anyway, I've been playing for years, and I can say without a doubt that it's the best game I've ever seen. It has its share of issues, but it's the only game in the world regularly running 30,000+ concurrent users on the same shard at once. It's not like WoW, where there's many different worlds that are not in any way connected. That means Eve has an extremely rich political environment, because we're all playing the same game. Status actually means something in the community. Just be prepared to dive in with both feet :)

Berand