PDA

View Full Version : Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

kpenguin
2007-08-24, 11:17 PM
Resilient sphere's spell description says that nothing passes through the sphere. Would it be safe to say that someone within the sphere sense anything outside? After all, no soundwaves, light, or smells could pass through. Also, could you use a Telekinetic Sphere (the upgraded version of Resilient Sphere) as a diving bell?

Dausuul
2007-08-24, 11:28 PM
Resilient sphere's spell description says that nothing passes through the sphere. Would it be safe to say that someone within the sphere sense anything outside? After all, no soundwaves, light, or smells could pass through.

It's debatable whether it's meant to include those; force effects are usually, but not always, transparent.

Also, could you use a Telekinetic Sphere (the upgraded version of Resilient Sphere) as a diving bell?

Don't see why not.

Zeful
2007-08-25, 12:47 AM
The DMG encourages that the player describe the effect of the spells, so it's possible for light, sound etc. to pass through

As for Telekenetic Shpere as a diving bell, it doesn't work all that well, you weigh 1/16 normal weight inside and I'm pretty sure you can physically push the sphere, so unless you carry a ton of material inside you're going to be buffeted by the currents, IIRC.

Manave_E_Sulanul
2007-08-25, 01:12 AM
The spell does make shooting minotaurs out a canons much easier and with little harm to the idio- I mean helpful dragon slayer inside.

kpenguin
2007-08-25, 01:19 AM
As for Telekenetic Shpere as a diving bell, it doesn't work all that well, you weigh 1/16 normal weight inside and I'm pretty sure you can physically push the sphere, so unless you carry a ton of material inside you're going to be buffeted by the currents, IIRC.

You can't move the sphere.

The subject may struggle, but the sphere cannot be physically moved either by people outside it or by the struggles of those within.

That's why I said Telekinetic Sphere. It allows you to mentally move the sphere.

Zeful
2007-08-26, 05:01 AM
That's what I thought but I was to lazy/tired to look it up, must be thinking about a different spell then.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-26, 09:01 AM
Resilient Sphere can't be moved. You can't get into/out of it while the spell is active. This means every time you want your diving bell, you have to cast it again.

Telekenetic Sphere, on the other hand, can be used as an impromptu submarine. However, let's not forget Duration: 1 min./level. In other words, it won't be lasting long, and it is an 8th level spell, which means you aren't going to be having too many of them.

Starbuck_II
2007-08-26, 11:22 AM
Resilient sphere's spell description says that nothing passes through the sphere. Would it be safe to say that someone within the sphere sense anything outside? After all, no soundwaves, light, or smells could pass through. Also, could you use a Telekinetic Sphere (the upgraded version of Resilient Sphere) as a diving bell?

Wouldn't you die from no air if nothing passes through?!

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-26, 12:01 PM
Wouldn't you die from no air if nothing passes through?!

And again, another catgirl dies. The description of the spell does not mention suffocation. In fact, it is commonly used for a wizard to defend himself against an attacker. Therefore, such is not taken into consideration. In short: It's magic, it breaks the laws of physics already. Trying to apply real-life physics to magic will only lead to headaches.

factotum
2007-08-26, 12:14 PM
Given the short duration of the spell and the size of the sphere I don't think it matters if air DOES pass through it--a 15th level wizard would cast a Telekinetic Sphere 15 feet across, which would contain nearly 1800 cubic feet of air. I'm pretty darn sure that would contain plenty enough oxygen to sustain someone (or even several someones) for the 15 minute duration of the spell.

Zeful
2007-08-26, 12:19 PM
It's an 8th level spell and at 15th level (which is what you need to be to cast it at) you can afford a bottle of air so if your Dm really believes you that air can't pass through it you can still breath.

Jade_Tarem
2007-08-26, 01:06 PM
It's an 8th level spell and at 15th level (which is what you need to be to cast it at) you can afford a bottle of air so if your Dm really believes you that air can't pass through it you can still breath.

Can't... resist...

If you take a bottle of air in there with you (and use it) then the pressure may cause problems, since you're pumping in gas from somewhere else into an area that won't let any out. ORS and OTS can't burst, so the only remaining option is squashing you.

It's more effective with that infinite fountain bottle thing, though. Liquids don't compress like air does (You can even use this technique to make impromptu bombs! Your DM will hate you, but still - bombs!).

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-26, 01:12 PM
Can't... resist...

If you take a bottle of air in there with you (and use it) then the pressure may cause problems, since you're pumping in gas from somewhere else into an area that won't let any out. ORS and OTS can't burst, so the only remaining option is squashing you.

It's more effective with that infinite fountain bottle thing, though. Liquids don't compress like air does (You can even use this technique to make impromptu bombs! Your DM will hate you, but still - bombs!).

Ahh, yes... you can make a nuclear device with a Resilient Sphere and an Endless Decanter set on Guyser contained within. After the time is up, the pressure is so insane that you literally create fusion at room temperature.

Of course, this would result in the killing of catgirls, and so not suggested.

Zeful
2007-08-26, 01:30 PM
Except that the decanter of water wouldn't survive the pressure and get destroyed long before pressures became strong enough to detonate in a nuclear blast.