PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 8 lovecraftian feats PEACH

Requilac
2018-01-17, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone, I am nearing the completion of my long planned, lovecrafitan mini-supplement and one of the things that I feel any good 5e supplement needs is a collection of feats. Here I have created eight different eldritch feats for you here. All the information you need should be in the link below. Any advice on how to improve this project will be very appreciated. Thank you to everyone who helps me out on this!

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SybjGMJMFM

Blackbando
2018-01-17, 01:06 PM
Ooh, lovecraft feats.

There's a lot of formatting issues, but I'm too busy to list all of them. I still get the points of most of the feats, at least, but if someone with more time would like to point them out, feel free to.

Agonizing Assault
Pretty alright, maybe? The psychic damage replacement isn't a huge deal once magic weapons are in the party (magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing is comparable to force and radiant in how many creatures resist it), but the stunning critical is pretty scary.

Semi-Amorphous Form
Acid resistance is fine, advantage on escaping grapples is fine... And, the wording on the other bullet is really, really weird. It says 'saving throw throw' for example. This feat feels a little too good to be a half-feat in my opinion, so maybe remove +1 Constitution from it?

Deep Dweller
Acceptable.

Iron Will
Probably fine.

Monstrous Mutations
Definitely not fine. There was a thread a week or two back talking about why 13 + Constitution modifier is a bad idea, and since this is a feat instead of a racial trait, this might actually make it even worse. I'd say keep it 13 + Dexterity modifier. I'm iffy on it being a half-feat, but since for the most part 1d6 light unarmed strikes (aside from being a variant human monk) are practically just refluffed handaxes/shortswords, I'll give it a pass.

Telepathic
So for the cost of a feat, you completely devalue the 1st level feature of GOOlock, but, not only that, you also double the range it can go? And it's a half-feat? This is real damn good, and while telepathy isn't so godlike that it shouldn't be a half-feat, I don't think it should be better than GOOlock's. Maybe lower the radius to 30 feet, and possibly give it a language restriction?

Unnatural Resilience
Everyone's a Goliath and Half-Orc, now. I don't get the oddly specific number of 14 damage, but I really dislike this feat as a whole. You're just slapping 2 defining racial traits of races onto a feat.

Weird Constitution
See, this should be a half-feat. Probably +1 Constitution. It's actually a pretty good feat.

One last note; unless a feat is a racial feat, almost all feats in 5e are something someone can call themselves. Like, "I am lucky" or "I'm a grappler!" Racial feats, like Elven Accuracy or Svirfeniblin(???) Magic break away from this.

Requilac
2018-01-17, 01:28 PM
Ooh, lovecraft feats.

[QUOTE=Blackbando;22761907]
Semi-Amorphous Form
Acid resistance is fine, advantage on escaping grapples is fine... And, the wording on the other bullet is really, really weird. It says 'saving throw throw' for example. This feat feels a little too good to be a half-feat in my opinion, so maybe remove +1 Constitution from it?

Fair enough, I will remove the +1 constitution bonus.

Monstrous Mutations
Definitely not fine. There was a thread a week or two back talking about why 13 + Constitution modifier is a bad idea, and since this is a feat instead of a racial trait, this might actually make it even worse. I'd say keep it 13 + Dexterity modifier. I'm iffy on it being a half-feat, but since for the most part 1d6 light unarmed strikes (aside from being a variant human monk) are practically just refluffed handaxes/shortswords, I'll give it a pass.

I am going to take your word for it and make it so that they cannot use their constitution modifier to calculate their unarmored DC. May I see a link to this thread, because I am curious as to what precisely would be unbalanced with it.

Telepathic
So for the cost of a feat, you completely devalue the 1st level feature of GOOlock, but, not only that, you also double the range it can go? And it's a half-feat? This is real damn good, and while telepathy isn't so godlike that it shouldn't be a half-feat, I don't think it should be better than GOOlock's. Maybe lower the radius to 30 feet, and possibly give it a language restriction?

All good cases. I will decrease the range and set up a language restriction.

Unnatural Resilience
Everyone's a Goliath and Half-Orc, now. I don't get the oddly specific number of 14 damage, but I really dislike this feat as a whole. You're just slapping 2 defining racial traits of races onto a feat.

It is probably my least favorite in the collection too, but the whole "It just will not die" trait was way too good of an opportunity to pass up. I would hardly call the first feature a defining racial trait though. Both barbarians, wereboars, and zombies get a similar trait. The reason it only works if the damage is 14 or less is because the wereboar's endurance has the same thing, and I wanted to make sure it was properly balanced. But I will admit that I was more than a little nervous about putting this one in. By the time it actually goes to the supplement, there is a good chance it is not going to get included in, but I did not see a good enough reason to not include it. I also considered basically making an undead fortitude trait that works once per long rest, but I was a little worried with how that would work for a PC.

Weird Constitution
See, this should be a half-feat. Probably +1 Constitution. It's actually a pretty good feat.

This feature is trivializing a massive swath of the exploration pillar and to me is already questionable as is, so I shall avoid it making it a half feat for now.

One last note; unless a feat is a racial feat, almost all feats in 5e are something someone can call themselves. Like, "I am lucky" or "I'm a grappler!" Racial feats, like Elven Accuracy or Svirfeniblin(???) Magic break away from this.

I was aware of that, I just had way too much trouble coming up with the names as is. If you think you can come up with something more appropriate, I would gladly accept your help, but otherwise I am hard pressed to determine what to do.

Blackbando
2018-01-17, 01:35 PM
I am going to take your word for it and make it so that they cannot use their constitution modifier to calculate their unarmored DC. May I see a link to this thread, because I am curious as to what precisely would be unbalanced with it.
Here you go.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?546672-Would-like-some-feedback-for-my-race-the-Norker!

I also considered basically making an undead fortitude trait that works once per long rest, but I was a little worried with how that would work for a PC.
Shadow Sorcerer in Xanathar's gets that, except it's a Charisma saving throw instead of Constitution. If you made that the only feature of the feat, and make it Constitution, it might be acceptable.

This feature is trivializing a massive swath of the exploration pillar and to me is already questionable as is, so I shall avoid it making it a half feat for now.
Fair enough.

I was aware of that, I just had way too much trouble coming up with the names as is. If you think you can come up with something more appropriate, I would gladly accept your help, but otherwise I am hard pressed to determine what to do
I'll try to think of some names that fit the theme. If I think of any, I'll post them.

Oh, one I thought of right now? Monstrous Mutations could quite simply be Mutant, or even Monstrous Mutant.

Requilac
2018-01-17, 01:59 PM
Here you go.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?546672-Would-like-some-feedback-for-my-race-the-Norker!

Thank you.

Shadow Sorcerer in Xanathar's gets that, except it's a Charisma saving throw instead of Constitution. If you made that the only feature of the feat, and make it Constitution, it might be acceptable.

It does? I am going to replace it with that then. I was entirely unaware the shadow sorcerer had that.

I'll try to think of some names that fit the theme. If I think of any, I'll post them.

Oh, one I thought of right now? Monstrous Mutations could quite simply be Mutant, or even Monstrous Mutant.

The only issue with mutant is that I am worried it might sound to sc-fi, which is a major issue I run into with lovecraftian things for D&D.