PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Giant Killer in SKT?

PeteNutButter
2018-01-17, 02:16 PM
Giant Killer, as in the level 3 hunter ability, is a bit too specific for me to usually pick on a character, but now that I'm going to start playing SKT, I figured it might be worth it. Considering that SKT is supposed to be about giants, I figured it'd get a lot of use, but things aren't always so clear cut.

My basic question is without spoiling the game, what % of the foes will be giants/large sized?

I'd hate to take the ability and find out that 90% of the game isn't giants at all. I am hoping to get the feature to work more often than not. I'm considering a Hunter 5/Rogue x build that functions like Battlemaster/rogue except using Giant Killer instead of riposte.

Provo
2018-01-17, 02:22 PM
Yeah, you will be fighting giants creatures a lot. Not every encounter will have them. A handful of very important encounters won't have any large creatures. But for the vast majority of the game, you will be fighting big things.

Edit: my experience is from playing it. I haven't actually read the module so I can't say how your experience could differ.

However, I only remember maybe four encounters (random encounters excluded) without anything bigger than medium size.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-17, 02:35 PM
I am hoping to get the feature to work more often than not.

If that's the case, then don't take it.
Giants have big attack bonuses, and Giant Killer requires that the attack misses.
The attack bonus of various Giants ranges between +8 to +14. Call it +11 on average. That means 21 AC will be hit 50% of the time. As a Ranger, we'll say your AC might be 17 or so. They have to roll a 6 to hit you, on average. Some higher, some lower, but 6 will be a good estimate.
This means that you'll only be able to use the feature about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time.... you just got clobbered by a Giant.
That's not good enough for me to want to spend my reaction to make a single attack. Personally, I'd go with Colossus Slayer. Much more consistency, no reaction eaten, and higher DPR.
Your mileage may vary.

edit:
I just noticed it says "hits or misses." I had never noticed that before.
Might actually be worth it here if you were planning on being in melee anyway....

PeteNutButter
2018-01-17, 02:44 PM
edit:
I just noticed it says "hits or misses." I had never noticed that before.
Might actually be worth it here if you were planning on being in melee anyway....

Yeah, in that way it's much easier to get off than Riposte, and has unlimited uses. By level 8, Hunter 5/Rogue 3, reaction attacks can slap for a a solid 1d8+2d6+4. The sneak attack scaling is required to really make it competitive with the other choices.

Balthasaurus
2018-01-17, 02:44 PM
I am actually also playing as a revised ranger in SKT, and I took Giant Killer. I know that Colossus Slayer is generally the best option to take, but I decided that I would pick something else to be different, and Giant Killer is working out pretty well so far.

As well as Giants, the giants have quite a lot of Large minions as well, such as ogres, so Giant Killer isn't 100% exclusive.

I also feel that Giant Killer is more thematically appropriate, and to me it is much more satisfying than just dealing some extra damage per turn. :smallbiggrin:

PeteNutButter
2018-01-17, 02:45 PM
I also feel that Giant Killer is more thematically appropriate, and to me it is much more satisfying than just dealing some extra damage per turn. :smallbiggrin:

To be honest, that's probably the biggest appeal to me. I wish I could do revised ranger in AL, because that favored enemy is so awesome.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-17, 02:48 PM
My only issue here is being in melee with giants. Giants are particularly susceptible to ranged tactics but you really don't want to stand next to them (and you usually can avoid it).

If you're set on this, may I suggest Barbarian 5 / Ranger (hunter) 3 instead? Sure, you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, but not every encounter will require you to go into a rage. Sometimes Hunter's Mark will be plenty good enough. And you'll really want that resistance to nonmagical damage if you plan to be attacked by giants. Additionally, a reaction attack with a greatsword while raging is roughly equivalent in DPR to a sneak attack reaction from a level 3 rogue.

PeteNutButter
2018-01-17, 02:50 PM
My only issue here is being in melee with giants. Giants are particularly susceptible to ranged tactics but you really don't want to stand next to them (and you usually can avoid it).

If you're set on this, may I suggest Barbarian 5 / Ranger (hunter) 3 instead? Sure, you can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging, but not every encounter will require you to go into a rage. Sometimes Hunter's Mark will be plenty good enough. And you'll really want that resistance to nonmagical damage if you plan to be attacked by giants. Additionally, a reaction attack with a greatsword while raging is roughly equivalent in DPR to a sneak attack reaction from a level 3 rogue.

I thought of this also. Might be enough to just take 1 level in barbarian. Barbarian 1/Ranger 5/Rogue x with str rapier attacks is on the table. Two rages a day isn't always enough, but it is a big help.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-17, 03:27 PM
I thought of this also. Might be enough to just take 1 level in barbarian. Barbarian 1/Ranger 5/Rogue x with str rapier attacks is on the table. Two rages a day isn't always enough, but it is a big help.

One thing: if you do a Strength-based barbarian / ranger multiclass, you'll basically need to play a human, Half-orc, dwarf, or Goliath to get the right stat spread. 14 constitution is a minimum if you plan to be in melee with giants. Maybe a Dragonborn would be fine, too. Anything with a bonus to Strength and to Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom should be fine.

Specter
2018-01-17, 05:08 PM
Yeah, in that way it's much easier to get off than Riposte, and has unlimited uses. By level 8, Hunter 5/Rogue 3, reaction attacks can slap for a a solid 1d8+2d6+4. The sneak attack scaling is required to really make it competitive with the other choices.

Don't forget Hunter's Mark!

PeteNutButter
2018-01-17, 05:41 PM
One thing: if you do a Strength-based barbarian / ranger multiclass, you'll basically need to play a human, Half-orc, dwarf, or Goliath to get the right stat spread. 14 constitution is a minimum if you plan to be in melee with giants. Maybe a Dragonborn would be fine, too. Anything with a bonus to Strength and to Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom should be fine.

Probably Human Variant 16, 14, 14, 9, 13, 8

Could go deep into the str aspect and make it GWM instead of rogue...

Don't forget Hunter's Mark!

Oh yeah. If you did a bonus action attack, hunter's mark alone adds a potential 4d6 damage. Or 8 rage damage if going the barbarian route.