PDA

View Full Version : Ways to conceal wings.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-24, 11:27 PM
How do you go about hiding wings on a half-celestial? I'm looking for a magical solution, as I don't want the PCs to have a legitimate chance of finding out until the big reveal. The easy way would be to arbitrarily give the villain an alternate form ability, but I would like to have a legitimate source of this ability if possible.

Currently a lvl 9 half-celestial crusader. I would like to keep as many crusader levels as possible while remaining CR 11-12.

I would rather he not have an item of alter self, given that such an item is very powerful.

I suppose I could settle for a disguise check augmented with a hat of disguise, but the party will likely be able to beat that spot check earlier than I would like (sice disguise is cross-class).

MrNexx
2007-08-24, 11:50 PM
How about a Hat of Disguise? It won't actually change his shape, but it will conceal the wings. He takes off his helmet and the wings show up.

Or remove one of his special abilities and give him "Alternate Form".

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-24, 11:55 PM
Magically speaking, there are a dozen different ways, ranging from the illusory (hat of disguise, silent image of empty space where the wings are, etc.) to the real (alter self, polymorph, etc.). Nonmagically, you could just have him keep them tucked around him like a nice white cloak, whenever the PCs are around.

Karsh
2007-08-24, 11:55 PM
Is he the villain? What about having him cut his wings off in a rebellion against his celestial nature?

Or, you could make his wings much more impressive, like being of fire or something that he can choose to manifest at will. Perhaps he was descended from an Asura and therefore has their flame wings?

Hectonkhyres
2007-08-25, 01:01 AM
Is he the villain? What about having him cut his wings off in a rebellion against his celestial nature?

Been watching 'Dogma' much?

I would declare that, when not in use, the wings go chameleon. Just say that they look indestinguishable from the bastard's cape or cloak or trenchcoat. Nobody would be the wiser. Or have them runed to be unnoticeable by mere mortals and have those runes destroyed by a well timed superficial wound.

kpenguin
2007-08-25, 01:15 AM
I think the X-Men's Angel had some sort of vest to that concealed his wings. It wasn't very high-tech and perfectly reasonable to use in a typical D&D setting.

Green Bean
2007-08-25, 02:11 AM
Cut them off. If you need them, that's what scrolls of Regeneration are for. It may seem extreme, but you can't make an omlette without temporarily crippling someone. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2007-08-25, 03:52 AM
I think the X-Men's Angel had some sort of vest to that concealed his wings. It wasn't very high-tech and perfectly reasonable to use in a typical D&D setting.

Yes. You conceal them under a billowy/heavy cloak or vest?

lord_khaine
2007-08-25, 04:17 AM
i would just go with a hat of disguise, no reason to make this harder than it has to.

Zaggab
2007-08-25, 06:23 AM
Since it is a highly magical character anyway (being half-celestial and all), I would go for wings that only look like wings when they are being used.

Like Mink's wings in Darken (http://www.darkencomic.com/d/20040821.html). She is a half-dragon whose wings normally looks like a cloak, but when she wants to use them they turn into a pair of wings.

Dausuul
2007-08-25, 07:44 AM
How do you go about hiding wings on a half-celestial? I'm looking for a magical solution, as I don't want the PCs to have a legitimate chance of finding out until the big reveal. The easy way would be to arbitrarily give the villain an alternate form ability, but I would like to have a legitimate source of this ability if possible.

Currently a lvl 9 half-celestial crusader. I would like to keep as many crusader levels as possible while remaining CR 11-12.

I would rather he not have an item of alter self, given that such an item is very powerful.

I suppose I could settle for a disguise check augmented with a hat of disguise, but the party will likely be able to beat that spot check earlier than I would like (sice disguise is cross-class).

Pick up the Skill Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) feat. Use the "special" option to make Disguise into a class skill from 1st level on. Combine with high Charisma and a hat of disguise. If you're really worried, you could add Skill Focus (Disguise) as well.

UserClone
2007-08-25, 10:19 AM
I was in an adventure where the DMPC was a half-celestial monk with VoP. He just kept his wings wrapped in bandages and tied to his back, and wore them under a robe. When asked about his "deformity," he truthfully answered, "That's been that way since I was born." We were none the wiser until my kender halfling kicked him in the back one day to wake him up.

MrNexx
2007-08-25, 10:20 AM
Like Mink's wings in Darken (http://www.darkencomic.com/d/20040821.html). She is a half-dragon whose wings normally looks like a cloak, but when she wants to use them they turn into a pair of wings.

Oi, Dragon Half flashbacks...

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-25, 10:43 AM
Just wear a big cloak, and look like a hunchback. Or just have them dissapear when he doesn't want them there.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-25, 11:03 AM
Kill anyone that asks about your wings. Then wear their head for a hat. Eventually, people will make a conscious effort to stop noticing your wings.

Vaynor
2007-08-25, 11:22 AM
Have him (as a crusader, thus good and holy) have wings of light that manifest at will. It's legitimate, makes sense, and hides your wings.

EDIT: Plus, that will look pretty bitchin'.

martyboy74
2007-08-25, 11:35 AM
Have him (as a crusader, thus good and holy) have wings of light that manifest at will. It's legitimate, makes sense, and hides your wings.

EDIT: Plus, that will look pretty bitchin'.

Nope. Half-celestial's wings are, apparently, an Extraordinary ability. With feathered wings, it's fairly obvious. If you wings of light, on the other hand, what do you think of? Yep, magic. And that could possibly impair their ability to fight it, because magical flight is almost always (perfect) maneuverability, whereas feathered wings are often only medium, creating different tactic for dealing with them.

Desyth
2007-08-25, 11:38 AM
With a little DM magic, you could bunch his wings up, then slip a bag of holding over each one, then press 'em flat against his back. That might work at least for ahwile

Metal Head
2007-08-25, 11:50 AM

It was some sort of strait jacket that just kept his wings completely flat against his body. But seriously, just get a hat of disguise.

Shisumo
2007-08-25, 11:53 AM
A half-celestial what? You could make him a changeling, for example, and have the shapeshifting be innate - it would function just as a hat of disguise would, but couldn't be dispelled and would give you a bit more freedom to justify the wings disappearing.

A more radical solution would be to make him a doppelganger - a half-celestial doppelganger crusader 6 would be CR 11 (with an IL of 8th, if I'm doing my math right). That would seal the deal nicely...

Wraithy
2007-08-25, 12:28 PM
continual flame on your hair?
It'd certainly take their minds off your wings

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-25, 07:50 PM
a half-celestial doppelganger crusader 6 would be CR 11

That works nicely, thanks.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-25, 09:46 PM
play a hot chick with a huge rack. you could have a third arm and noone would notice.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-25, 10:13 PM
With a little DM magic, you could bunch his wings up, then slip a bag of holding over each one, then press 'em flat against his back. That might work at least for ahwile

That's not half bad. Coat with portable hole(s) stitched into the inside back, that you stuff your wings into.:smallbiggrin:

Drider
2007-08-25, 10:17 PM
play a hot chick with a huge rack. you could have a third arm and noone would notice.

do you mind if i quote this for my sig?

Setra
2007-08-25, 10:27 PM
Actually I'd certainly notice the wings on the hot chick.

Mostly cause I have a thing for chicks with wings.

ocato
2007-08-25, 10:35 PM
I had this situation once as well. Give him a tattoo on his upper back/shoulders of angel wings that he can manifest into real wings at will.

Kizara
2007-08-25, 10:50 PM
Actually I'd certainly notice the wings on the hot chick.

Mostly cause I have a thing for chicks with wings.

Wings own. No question.

My current character is basically Cassandra from Soul Calibur 2-3, with a bit more maturity and a version of the half-celestial template. Wings FTW. :)

Ramza00
2007-08-26, 12:07 AM

hot jock with wings is so much sexier :smallwink:

Starsinger
2007-08-26, 12:12 AM
hot jock with wings is so much sexier :smallwink:

Zomfg YES!! <3

... now that I'm in command of my mental faculties again... :smallredface: hide the wings behind a big cape like Magneto's? Or possible have him wear armor with wing slits, but make the armor all celestial looking so they just look like they're part of it?