PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Heroes of Talssen - A D&D5 game with random characters

ok.name
2018-01-17, 03:28 PM
Your company of heroes has recently arrived in the city, looking for opportunities to fight evil and earn gold!

The group is formed by Lyrika, the sorcerer, Archibald, the fighter, Zenaida, the rogue and an unusual goblin companion, Thokla, with mysterious magical powers.

Yearning for adventure, you chose the best spot in town to find it: The Golden Trout Tavern and Inn.

Right in the center of the city of Talssen, under the shadow of the endless tower, the Golden Trout has long been considered the home of adventurers! A place to rest, drink, eat and find quests posted on the bulletin board.

The walls of the tavern are completely covered in posters of the resident hero: The famed gladiator, “The Miro”!

Well, fame might be a strong word to describe him. Let’s say.. up-and-coming.

Nevertheless, the Golden Trout regulars are his captive audience and biggest fans. He owns a room at the top floor and is assured free meals and drinks. Which makes it all that more surprising that such a celebrity would ask to join your band of adventurers. But the truth is Miro has had enough of the Arena scene and is ready to test his might against new challenges.

But despite all the group’s excitement, today is a very troubled morning for the patrons of the golden trout! A worrying event happened in the early hours of the day and it is all everyone is speaking about.

“What could it mean for us?”

“Are we all doomed?”

“Was it some kind of attack? We should evacuate the city!!”

The Pyre of Shells has been lit! The peculiar shimmering purple smoke can be seen on the horizon. And the magic guard is urgently recruiting volunteers to send to the inner sea!

“What is going on..?!?”

To the west of Talssen, near the continent’s inner sea, there is a costal settlement of sentient humanoid turtle-like creatures, a race known as the Tortle.

Aeons ago, the founding Mage Talssen himself befriended the Tortle and sworn to protect them.
If anything threatened the coastal settlement, they should light a special pyre to signal for help, the Pyre of shells! However, throughout the entire history of the city, the pyre has never been lit...

Until today.

Zergrinch
2018-01-17, 07:48 PM
Zenaida approaches one of the magic guardsmen.

'Scuse me. What's in it for me? If I go, I mean.

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-01-17, 08:27 PM
It felt odd being back with an adventuring group, but with the recent events he supposed that it was best he had some people at his back. It was also nice to have companions who would speak to the guard without fear. Hanging back within ear shot, Liryka watches as Zenaida progresses through the conversation. Eyes constantly drifting towards the rising purple smoke.

Kushina43
2018-01-17, 08:55 PM
Miro was in the middle of drinking and boasting about his last match- a hard-fought and respected battle, but one where he inevitably emerged victorious- when he had first heard the Pyre was lit and of its significance. Knowing he had to ease the populace, and that his new adventuring pals were likely ready to go on an adventure anyway, Miro stood up and proclaimed to the tavern his intent.

"Denizens of the Golden Trout and the town around it, do not fear! Though The Miro's days in the ring are coming to a close, the bell rings on his next step towards glory: Hero of the Coast! Who so ever is terrorizing our allies shall taste naught but The Miro's Iron Fist through their stomachs once I am through!" To accompany his shout he raises his flail and wooden shield; the latter emblazoned with a blood red fist and the former crudely decorated with ink to make the end resemble a fist.

josienoms
2018-01-17, 11:12 PM
Thokla struggles to see through the crowd. All these thoughtless big people standing in the way, without taking into consideration small goblins whose line of sight would be blocked. Once she manages to see what's going on, she doesn't immediately grasp the significance. She's not from around here, after all.

However, after Zenaida mentions going somewhere, and The Miro's speech before the crowd, she feels confident enough in what's going on to make an informed decision.

"If people need out help, we should go."

She then adds in an undertone to Zenaida,

"They'll probably be grateful enough to give you a reward!"

Zergrinch
2018-01-17, 11:15 PM
"Listen up, Tokkie, gratitude can only get you so far," Zenaida answers in a conspiratorial whisper. "If you don't got it in writing, you don't got nothing!"

The halfling was clearly speaking from experience.

galdre
2018-01-18, 01:03 AM
Archie had been standing patiently in what he thought was a line to speak to the guard. Seeing Zenaida approach the guard directly, he sighs but listens carefully to hear the guard's answer.

ok.name
2018-01-18, 04:55 PM
*Miro gains 1 inspiration point for the speech.

Inside the tavern, a couple of fans grab Miro’s arm and plead “Please don’t go, it could be very dangerous!”

Outside, the guard stares at Zenaida and sneers at the rogue:

“You mean beyond the satisfaction of doing the honourable thing? Greedy halflings… There’s 10 gold pieces if you go and an extra 10 if you return.”

Within a few seconds, the captain of the guard, Hannah, arrives riding her famous unicorn.

Captain Hannah is a Tiefling who proved her worth through the ranks of the magic guard and rose to captain. As the highest ranking officer, her authority falls short only to Lord-Wizard Talssen himself, who founded the city.

From afar she almost looks human. But in close inspection, you’ll notice she has six fingers in each hand, her legs are goat-like and her skin has a green hue and is scaly like a lizard’s.

She shouts to the crowd:

“Attention! The pyre of shells is burning. The magic guard will launch a group within the hour. If any of you mercenary types are in for a reward, please proceed in an orderly fashion to the endless tower!”

“Some of you might have heard rumors that this is an attack of the triton people, but our divination team has found no evidence to confirm this. May I remind you that the triton wars ended over a hundred years ago and prejudice against the ocean-folk is not allowed in our city.”

Among the crowd, many people stare at the smoke in the horizon, but not no one raises their hand to volunteer.

Except maybe for your group?

Note: this is a sandbox world and all quests are optional. Don't feel like you have to accept if this is something your character would rather not do.

galdre
2018-01-18, 05:37 PM
Archie likes the sound of being paid in advance. "Uh, sure. I think I'd be up for it. Guys?" Archie makes motions as if to raise his hand, but does not actually do so, waiting for others to follow suit.

Zergrinch
2018-01-18, 06:09 PM
"Okay, but on one condition!" Zenaida pipes up as she raises her hand, which then points to the guard who insulted her. " He was rude to me, and he's a racist too, calling all halflings greedy. Dismiss him from his post."

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-01-18, 06:16 PM
At the indication of coin, Liryka opens a sad looking coin purse, adorned with loose stitching which hangs from tattered edges of deeply faded leather, to reveal a measly handful of silver. Not normally an eager volunteer, the lack of a worth while pay day drew a contemplative sigh from his drooped head. Would be nice if there were a few more... distractions, to diffuse any potential aggression... Nodding at nothing, Liryka utters, "Don't be so capricious, you'll be fine," before moving forward towards the Unicorn mounted Captain.

Palming his focus in his hand, Liryka gingerly recites an incantation. A moment passes before above Captain Hannah what appears to be a twisting display of radiant orbs separate and begin to pulsate around the Captain and her mount.

Liryka is casting Minor Illusion to create the sparkly orbs.

As those around watch Liryka shouts, "The Heavens have spoken! We are divinely favored, come all let us raise arms as one!"

Hoping to persuade others around to enlist their services.

Persuasion Roll: [roll0]

Kushina43
2018-01-18, 08:11 PM
Miro looks down at the fans, touched by their concern, but shuts his eyes and shakes his head as if to affirm his resolve. "Do not fret, my good people, for The Miro shall emerge victorious!" He puts away his weapon and shield and, after saying his confident farewells to his adoring fans, makes his way toward the rest of the group.

"So! My compatriots, we are to go to smash some bad guys' heads, yeah?"

josienoms
2018-01-18, 10:42 PM
Thokla whispers to Zenaida,

"Might be best to just let it go."

She gives the Halfling a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. Not that she didn't agree that the guard's comment was out of line, but she knew that sometimes there's nothing you can do in the face of that kind of ignorance. Gods knew she'd faced it often enough as a Goblin.

She then turns to The Miro.

"I'll probably let you big guys do the smashing. I'll just stand back and blast 'em from y'know... A safe distance."

Zergrinch
2018-01-19, 11:14 AM
Zenaida's eyes flash with a malicious look as she commits the racist guardsman's face and name into her memory.

He will soon have his comeuppance, even if he isn't a gnoll. Or her name's not Zenaida Gnollkiller!