PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a character?

Falcii
2018-01-17, 04:50 PM
Hi, I have a wierd request. I have a stat block and no idea how I am going to utilize it.
Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con:17
Int: 18
Wis:9
Cha: 12

Now here is where the wierd comes in. I am allowed to switch Dex and str if I want. I must reduce one of my scores that are currently 16 or above to a 13.

Now here is my problem. I have never loved wizard. I've still got a sour taste in my mouth from 3.5. I just got done with a character who was an Eldritch Knight (with much worse stats). So I'd like to avoid full wizard and Eldritch Knight. I would like at least some casting as I tend to find classes without some utility rather boring.

We are starting at level 3 but are leveling fast so I need to have a plan for the next 3 or so levels. Allowed books are PB, swordcoast & xanathars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Balthasaurus
2018-01-17, 04:55 PM
Um, you realise that when you roll for ability scores, they are not assigned in that order. You can assign them in any order you want. You could make 18 your strength, for example, even if you rolled it fourth.

I may be misinterpreting this though, are you required to use your scores in this order?

Edit: you could switch your strength with your dexterity and create an Arcane Trickster, that would be aright with the stats you have. :smallwink:

LtPowers
2018-01-17, 04:56 PM
If you want casting and you have a 9 WIS and a 12 CHA then your only reasonable choices are Eldritch Knight, Wizard, and Arcane Trickster.

Your other option is to go Ranger or Paladin and make sure you don't take any spells that require a spell attack roll or saving throw.

Powers &8^]

kebusmaximus
2018-01-17, 04:58 PM
You could reduce your intelligence and play a half-elf paladin, if you're interested. Or reduce your constitution, switch strength and dexterity, and play and arcane trickster.

MxKit
2018-01-17, 05:06 PM
Personally, I would switch Strength and Dexterity, and lower Intelligence. Pick a race with +2 Charisma and go either Valor Bard or Swords Bard.

As a Half-Elf, for example, you could start at:

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con:18
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 14

For your first ASI, either bump Charisma or take the Elven Accuracy feat and get your Intelligence up to an even 14. (For a Bard, you almost certainly want to raise your Charisma first.)

Actually, with the same stats, race, and feat I just suggested (taking the feat ASAP this time), you could also make a really good Arcane Trickster! You could also not worry so much about Charisma or bumping up Constitution further and switch the race over to Wood Elf, start with a Dexterity of 18. I just wasn't sure if you might want to avoid Arcane Trickster as well. :P

Nidgit
2018-01-17, 07:19 PM
Play against type and be a Barbarian. With a background granting you Investigation you'll be clever enough to find the traps and tough enough to disarm then with your pecs.

But if you want to be a square, you'll make a pretty good Paladin. Particularly if you go Half-Elf.

the secret fire
2018-01-17, 07:55 PM
Well, if you don't want to be a wizard or EK, then it sounds like Arcane Trickster is your deal. Switch Str and Dex, and lower that Con score to 13. So you'll look like this:

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con:13

Start as a Wood Elf, and take Resilient (Con) as your first feat. There, done. You'll make a terrific Arcane Trickster with that set-up. Focus on save-or-suck spells once you can cast them, and go to town.

opaopajr
2018-01-17, 09:18 PM
I'd be a cheesy munchkin -- because I wouldn't be able to help myself in this situation -- and lower the STR 16 to 13 (covering the MUST clause) and then switch STR for DEX.

With DEX 13 I can do just about anything class-wise, covers most races, and I still get to keep the 17 and 18.

And since you'd have 3+ odd stats at the end of this, I'd probably go Human, Vuman, or Half-Elf. An Arcane Trickster would be a strong choice.

PopeLinus1
2018-01-17, 09:23 PM
Maybe Arcane Archer?

Only if you have XGtE, though.

Nifft
2018-01-17, 09:30 PM
Hi, I have a wierd request. I have a stat block and no idea how I am going to utilize it.

Now here is where the wierd comes in. I am allowed to switch Dex and str if I want. I must reduce one of my scores that are currently 16 or above to a 13.

Can you ONLY swap Str <=> Dex?

Or can you swap any two ability scores?

Nettlekid
2018-01-18, 01:36 AM
Swap Str and Dex, drop Con to 13, and try out the Bladesinger from the SCAG. You said you don't like outright Wizards and I recommend giving them a little benefit of the doubt because 5e has definitely balanced them a little better, but Bladesinger does not play like a normal Wizard. You're a lithe and nimble Elf warrior who fights like a Swashbuckler, skirmishing in and out of battle and giving a resounding Rapier slash augmented with Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade. You won't deal nearly as much damage as the axe-hefting Barbarian, but you'll feel like a dashing fencer with very good AC since with Studded Leather you've got 12+Dex (3 for you now) plus Int when Bladesinging (4 for you now) and an extra +5 from the Shield spell if you REALLY need to dodge something. And then when the chips are down and your back is up against the wall...you remind people that you're a single-classed Wizard and bring out the Charm Person and Disguise Self, Suggestion and Invisibility, Haste and Fly and Fireball, Dimension Door and Banishment, Wall of Force and Bigby's Hand, all that good stuff that gives you some out-of-combat versatility and utility and some in-combat oomph.

Citan
2018-01-18, 07:17 PM

Now here is my problem. I have never loved wizard. I've still got a sour taste in my mouth from 3.5. I just got done with a character who was an Eldritch Knight (with much worse stats). So I'd like to avoid full wizard and Eldritch Knight. I would like at least some casting as I tend to find classes without some utility rather boring.

We are starting at level 3 but are leveling fast so I need to have a plan for the next 3 or so levels. Allowed books are PB, swordcoast & xanathars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi OP ;)

Basically you have two ways to go: play those strengths or eat at INT to build something very different...

Swap Str and Dex, drop Con to 13, and try out the Bladesinger from the SCAG. You said you don't like outright Wizards and I recommend giving them a little benefit of the doubt because 5e has definitely balanced them a little better, but Bladesinger does not play like a normal Wizard. You're a lithe and nimble Elf warrior who fights like a Swashbuckler, skirmishing in and out of battle and giving a resounding Rapier slash augmented with Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade. You won't deal nearly as much damage as the axe-hefting Barbarian, but you'll feel like a dashing fencer with very good AC since with Studded Leather you've got 12+Dex (3 for you now) plus Int when Bladesinging (4 for you now) and an extra +5 from the Shield spell if you REALLY need to dodge something. And then when the chips are down and your back is up against the wall...you remind people that you're a single-classed Wizard and bring out the Charm Person and Disguise Self, Suggestion and Invisibility, Haste and Fly and Fireball, Dimension Door and Banishment, Wall of Force and Bigby's Hand, all that good stuff that gives you some out-of-combat versatility and utility and some in-combat oomph.
My gut suggestion would have also something to do with Bladesinger, but I would REALLY advise against following this idea, at least without a bit of safeguard tweak.
Cutting CON to 13 on a d6 caster that wants to wade into melee is a very bad idea.

With that said, I understand why he suggested that: if you can only swap STR with DEX, AND you have to dumb down one of your high stats, you are indeed in a conundrum, since all your three stats (with DEX and STR swapped) would actually be very useful for a Bladesinger.

So, in case you'd like to try a Bladesinger, and keeping in mind you dont want to play a "pure" or "normal" caster, I'd suggest either solution.
1. Follow the "dumbed CON" suggestion, but aim towards a Rogue / Wizard multiclass with an Elf race that provides +2 DEX: start Wizard 5 (pick Resilient: CON), actually not even trying to go into melee until you get 14 CON, Mirror Image and either Haste or Blur. Beyond that, either start Rogue, picking Swashbuckler for the "mini-Mobile feat" or any other tyou like and going straight to 5, or first bump Wizard a bit more.

2. Swap STR and DEX and drop the latter to 13 instead, then pick High Elf (+2 DEX, +1 INT) so you are a sturdy Wizard, using your first ASI to max INT and bump DEX to 16, then whatever you wish: pure Wizard, multiclass Rogue/Fighter...

3. Same as 2. except you pick Drow Elf: this opens a whole lot of new options for multiclass and feats (you can keep 18 INT for a while if you'd like): you could pick Inspiring Leader feat to buff yourself and others with THP, multiclass into Bard for Bardic Inspiration, Expertise and shenanigans, into Divine Soul Sorcerer for great self-buffs (Extended Shield of Faith/Aid/Sanctuary).

Option 2 is the easiest to play at low levels, option 3 is the one i'd pick personally because I love having the ability to pick dips a bit everywhere for funky (but still functional) multiclasses. But that's me. ^^