PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Ridiculous encounter ideas

Kafana
2018-01-18, 01:18 PM
I liked Undertale. I liked the idea of an RPG in a ridiculous land with completely wacky encounters. I even liked the music. Hated the graphics though, and the gameplay was meh at best, at least for me.

Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys got any inspiration for D&D encounters from Undertale (or from being a wacky loon yourself). I'd like to have a few encounters ready for situation when a party gets massively confused, drugged or transported into an unreal realm where encounters aren't resolved with axe and fireball. This might be a regular encounter fought under very strange circumstances - i.e. the party gets attacked during a massive orgy in which the PCs are taking part, or it can be something which plays by completely different rules (roleplay wise), but at its core can be fitted to the d20 system.

Any ideas?

Mike Miller
2018-01-18, 01:24 PM
Earthbound and probably the Mother series itself has ridiculous encounters and story. Take one example: the police bring a kid in after the kid helps them clear up a street gang and try to beat the kid up. Things get wackier

Koo Rehtorb
2018-01-18, 01:39 PM
Tyrannosaurs in f-14s.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-18, 03:07 PM
Subvert the rules. Make it so that there is no max HP but if you heal too much you turn into a flesh blob.
Or make it so that dice rolls don't matter, rather success or failure is decided on how many dice you have in your hand. (encourage people to steal dice from each other by saying their own personal dice don't count)

Segev
2018-01-18, 03:41 PM
In a patch of desert that is woefully out of place, and just big enough that you can't see the edges from the middle, you find a red, frog-like being with a blue pointy hat. Turns out that this cowardly red slaad has levels in the PF Witch class and the D&D 3.5 Sandshaper class. The party has discovered the chicken slaad sand witch.

The party encounters a horrific piece of modern art. It turns out to be a prima donna of a mimic that is trying to find inspiration for its next beautiful form. This can be a recurring encounters, with it demanding critique and hoping for praise.

In the woods, the party encounters an awakened dire wolf that tries to lure them off the path, and then steals one or more suits of clothes from them while they sleep. If they find its lair, it has costumes of all walks of humanoid life. It may even try to unconvincingly pretend to be somebody else by dressing up (poorly) in the appropriate clothing.

Jama7301
2018-01-18, 04:34 PM
Super Mario RPG from the SNES comes to mind. Literal power ranger knock offs, Sentient, walking weapons serving a castle sized sword... a cake monster...

Tinkerer
2018-01-18, 04:42 PM
Tyrannosaurs in f-14s.

That is entirely too ridiculous. How would they reach the controls? That's why I have psychic mutant Tyrannosaurs in Veritech fighters. Much more realistic. Also a perfectly valid and official level 1 Palladium character.

Lord Torath
2018-01-18, 05:41 PM
Tyrannosaurs in f-14s."This is so cool!"
"This is so stupid." (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/t-rex-jet)