PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help to create a statistics wizard

JohnStone
2018-01-18, 02:30 PM
Hello, My name is Johnstone (obviously) and I Would like to walk you through my character concept development.
I am interested in playing a lvl 6 Divination Wizard (or rather a 5 DivWiz/ 1 KnoCler)
I really like Treantmonks God Wizard

The concept is a very smart character that can analyze statistics and predict/effect outcomes.
---This is where portents and the Lucky feat come into play---
Ill also be the party Know-it-all (I am highly intelligent with expertise in 2-3 knowledge skills)
If I am right this should be a very good controller type.

So thats a good start...
next I need a race (and Picture Since this will be PBP)
-The only real options seem to be
---High Elf (hmm haughty cocky Know it all maybe)
---Rock Gnome (annoying know-it-all +bonus History)
---V-Human (boring but I get lucky and a Stat boost)
I think I like Gnome cause i found a sweet Pic
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yKqWoEThEs8/ThrbwppcouI/AAAAAAAAAF4/xuie1z3TxL0/s320/Oki%2BDoki.JPG

OK now I need help....
Her personality is annoying (my favorite DnD character of all time is Tasslehoff)
I was thinking Time would be an important part of her studies (Einstien like time and statistics)
Maybe she has seen far off worlds somehow
--Azeroth- explains her appearance
--Krynn- explains her personality (Maybeshewilleventalkwithagnomishaccent)

here is the ad for the game:
You are an adventurer and you and your companions have begun to make a good name for yourselves. From your humble beginnings in Baldur's Gate where you were brought together and took down a bandit encampment that had been harassing caravans along the Coast Way. From there you traveled south to Candlekeep at the behest of the scholars who were asking for help in recovering a tome from the Isles off the coast, which you accomplished in short order. From there your meanderings took you through the Wood of Sharp Teeth where you helped the dryads deal one of their own that had been corrupted and was raising an army of undead. In Berdusk you spent almost a year, aiding the Harpers in shattering a slave ring that took you from Berdusk to Scornbul and finally to the gates of Darkhold. Returning to Berdusk to claim your bounty, you spent some time there enjoying the laurels of your exploits.

After a night of rest you and your companions headed out again, this time headed north to the city of Waterdeep. One of the Harpers you had been working closely with knew of a noble in Waterdeep by the name of Naedil that needed help with something important. Although he could not discuss it he assured you the rewards would be more then worth it.

So north you headed to Waterdeep, you managed to locate Naedil Cassalanter. He explained to you that he had discovered the existence of a secret devil cult that had taken hold along the Sword Coast. He believed they had cells in both Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate and possibly reaching as far as Amn to the south and Neverwinter to the north, but those were just his suspicions. He stumbled upon the existence of the cult when going over the books of a new client. He had thought he had kept the discovery to himself but about a week later his father, Cion, disappeared.

Naedil has offered to pay you handsomely for both the return of his father and your assistance in taking down this cult before it becomes a real threat to the Sword Coast. Given the information he has provided you believe the best place to start your search is the fort of Thornhold, a way station for traders of all sorts. There you need to find Freglyn and see what he has to say about cults and devils and missing patrons, surreptitious like of course. If he figured out you knew anything or he somehow managed to get away.....

So to SUM UP i just want to hear some discussion/Ideas abot what to do with this character.
Maybe just a simple anecdote i could work in to play, or an epic idea I haven't though of.

Laserlight
2018-01-18, 02:39 PM
Her personality is annoying (my favorite DnD character of all time is Tasslehoff)

Don't make an annoying character. What works in fiction doesn't work when you're in an actual group of people.

I have a forest gnome Know 1 / Div 8 cleric wizard and it's worked out well for me. Single large target may get a Polymorph, which they fail due to Portent. Multiple targets gets Fireball. Otherwise I just Bless my team, hang back and offer advice. Cast Guidance for any skill checks. Familiar and Arcane Eye for scouting.

I think I've taken damage twice in three levels, and one of those was a Life Transference to get our Bearbarian back in the line.

LeonBH
2018-01-19, 02:23 AM
I will say, you can play an annoying character if you know how to be endearingly annoying. But if you play a nuisance, your fellow players will think of you as a nuisance, which is never good.

As for the character, I like the idea. But I think the mechanical implementation would be better with no magic and an unnatural race. Like an Aasimar Mastermind Rogue, or a Half-Orc Battlemaster.

Knowing statistics is fun if you - the player - enjoy doing statistics. Relying on classes that give you options to implement those statistics-based tactics is the best way to run it.

Otherwise, it will get old real quick, like it's the 10th time you said "this tactic has a 100% chance of success!" But when others ask "what if I do X instead of Y?" you won't have an answer, because you've run out of Portent or Luck dice.

Better to know the stats and make tactics yourself, rather than to pretend to know the stats and force the tactics to work. It's like the difference between playing chess and playing a character who supposedly knows chess. The former is more multifaceted than the latter.

Greywander
2018-01-19, 02:58 AM
This isn't dissimilar to a build I've looked at playing. I like wizards, and it's hard to say no to dipping one level into cleric, especially knowledge cleric to go along with the whole scholar theme.

If you've read Treantmonk's guide, then you already know to stay away from blasting spells. That said, I'd still prepare fireball just in case. But focus on spells that manipulate the battlefield, buff your allies, or debuff your enemies. In particular, you get access to the following spells as a 1st level cleric that you wouldn't normally get as a wizard: bane, bless, command, guiding bolt, healing word, and sanctuary.

Although there's always the temptation to optimize in order to get the most out of your build, you can come up with some interesting concepts if you allow yourself to stray beyond the narrow confines of pure optimization, and you're really not giving up that much. For example, try one of the following:

Tiefling scholar and archeologist. Sort of a cross between Indiana Jones and the stereotypical absent-minded professor. You are adventuring to discover the secret of an ancient relic or map that is in your possession.

Also Tiefling, but this time a mystical gambler. You've used your powers of prediction to cheat at games, and one time you got caught and joined up with an adventuring party to skip town.

Dwarf lorekeeper. You carry ancient and forgotten tales of dwarven heroism that you seek to share with dwarves everywhere. You're also chronicling the adventures of your party, and adding them to your lore.