PDA

View Full Version : The breakup/down - not a spoiler IMO

darrell
2007-08-25, 07:09 AM
Been meaning to mention this for a while, and a quick scan of current threads doesn't pick up anyone else covering it.

I think I've spotted a theme regarding how the Order has been spilt.

We've always assumed that each of the main characters has an individual dump-stat, but each also exemplifies a specific d&d stat too.
:durkon: wisdom :elan: charisma :haley: dexterity :roy: strength :vaarsuvius: intelligence :belkar: constitution ('cause it's all that's left)

So, with current happenings the three physical stats have ended up split from the three mental stats. The Order's brain has split from its brawn.

OK, so the fact that Roy is as well known for his intelligence as his strength throws a small spanner in the works, but...

boomwolf
2007-08-25, 09:00 AM
actually i see it more as a:

:belkar: strength :durkon: constitution :elan: charisma :haley: dexterity :roy: intelligence :vaarsuvius: wisdom

so i kina disagree with you....

MoelVermillion
2007-08-25, 09:05 AM
actually i see it more as a:

:belkar: strength :durkon: constitution :elan: charisma :haley: dexterity :roy: intelligence :vaarsuvius: wisdom

so i kina disagree with you....

I've never thought V had particuarly high wisdom, but he/she definately has high intelligence, V him/herself even stated it when they encountered the mindflayer. If anything i think Roy has a high wisdom as hes often the common sense of the party.

boomwolf
2007-08-25, 09:50 AM
its true V has high intelligence, but the mindflyer chose to attack ROY, therefor he has even more.

(BTW-i made myself a new avatar, like it?)

NerfTW
2007-08-25, 10:15 AM
Actually, the Roy thing implies that the mindflayer simply found him more appetizing, perhaps due to his well rounded wisdom and intelligence stats.

Kind of like how a hamburger is far more appetizing when on a bun with all the fixings than it is just sitting plain on a plate.

Roy can't have more intelligance than V, and have the strength scores to do what he does.

Metal Head
2007-08-25, 10:22 AM
Roy can't have more intelligance than V, and have the strength scores to do what he does.

Maybe he rolled really well on his stats?

boomwolf
2007-08-25, 10:34 AM

says who?

they might have used the "choose then roll" system and he got a 6/6/6 dice score on intelligance, add a tome he might have found in some place and he COULD have reached 19-20 int, supressing V's 18....

darrell
2007-08-25, 10:48 AM
I'm working on what used to be called "prime-requisits" (sp?). Or to put it at its most straight forward which stat' a class needs most.

Clerics need wisdom, hence Durkon has high Wis rather than Int. Rogues need Dex, Bards need Cha and Wizards Int. Fighters need strength, hence Roy symbolises Str.

It just falls down a bit with our friendly maniac ranger/barbarian.

Actually, whilst I think about it, a better description would be the Order's mind splitting from its body.

Tirian
2007-08-25, 10:50 AM
It is hardly remarkable that a party is well-balanced. But it sort of puts the cart before the horse when you say that Belkar must have a high constitution because that is necessary for your theory to be true. If there were any evidence up to this point that it were true, the geeks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912) would have pounced on it by now.

And mind flayers feed off of a combination of intelligence, wisdom, and charisma, which is why Roy was targeted. If you don't believe me, listen to this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211493#post211493).

blackspeeker
2007-08-25, 10:51 AM
says who?

they might have used the "choose then roll" system and he got a 6/6/6 dice score on intelligance, add a tome he might have found in some place and he COULD have reached 19-20 int, supressing V's 18....
And who says V couldnt have done the sae thing?

Actana
2007-08-25, 10:58 AM
its true V has high intelligence, but the mindflyer chose to attack ROY, therefor he has even more.

What mind flayer are you talking about? Its a squid thingy!

Who says that the mind flay.. um.. Squid thingy :smalltongue: attacked the one with the most intelligence? As NerfTW said, its more of a mixture of the "mental" stats than plain intelligence IMO.

To the point of the thread. I'd put their attributes like this:
:roy:: Strength :haley:: Dexterity :durkon:: Wisdom :vaarsuvius:: Intelligence :belkar: Strength :elan: Charisma

Yes, I put Belkar and Roy to the same attribute. Just because constitution doesn't apply as their primary attribute to either of them.

Wikkin
2007-08-25, 11:50 AM
Could just say the melee got split from the casters and leave it at that? :)

Elan's getting better at melee, but yeah.

Wik

John Campbell
2007-08-25, 12:00 PM
Elan's no good at casting, either.

blackspeeker
2007-08-25, 12:02 PM
Well that isnt entirely true, I mean V is workin on fixing some of Elan's ineptitudes.

Mr.Ace
2007-08-25, 12:08 PM
:roy:: Strength :haley:: Dexterity :durkon:: Wisdom :vaarsuvius:: Intelligence :belkar: Strength :elan: Charisma

Yes, I put Belkar and Roy to the same attribute. Just because constitution doesn't apply as their primary attribute to either of them.

Actana said it perfectly-yet Roy (information from the Class and Level Geekery II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912) thread) is said to have 14-18 intelligence, but Varsuuvius's intelligence is higher.

SPoD
2007-08-25, 01:45 PM
Yeah, the split seems simpler than that: magic-using vs. non-magic-using. That way, the non-magic-using team can encounter obstacles that V or Durkon could solve with a single spell, and it will still be interesting.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-25, 02:58 PM
I think of it sort of like this:

:roy: Strength :haley: Dexterity :belkar: Physical in general :elan: Charisma :vaarsuvius: Intelligence :durkon: Wisdom

So yes, I think the team is (sort of) split into mental stats and physical stats. The only problem is that Roy and Haley are also very smart and rather charismatic, and Elan is dexterous and Durkon is a pretty good warrior.

I see it sort of as magic and non-magic, really. Like SPoD said.