PDA

View Full Version : Thought exercise: you have the ability to live in the OOTS universe for a bit....

elliott20
2018-01-18, 05:01 PM
Let's say some weird magic in Rich's books pulls you into the comic for a short while. You know your time there is limited (let's say enough time to interact with them in a meaningful way), that you will come home, but you find yourself in the presence of characters. (whoever that may be)

Who would you want to speak to, and what would you say to them?

I personally would love to speak with Durkon and get to know him better and maybe lend some empathy to his struggles. I would also love to hang with Elan and just bask in his unmitigated enthusiasm and maybe also tell him that I came THIS close to naming my daughter after him. (Not even kidding about that. My wife veto'ed that in the end but still....)

edit: for clarification, assume that you can pick any moment to get into the story, and you're still you so you're not going to show up and be a level 16 fighter. (I assume, for example, that I'm probably an expert 2 at most)

martianmister
2018-01-18, 06:33 PM
I would ask Malack out for a date.

Darth Paul
2018-01-18, 06:51 PM
Sabine needs comforting from a sensitive and caring man. I'm thinking we could have a nice dinner. :smallwink:

Fyraltari
2018-01-18, 06:56 PM
I would ask Malack out for a date.

Sabine needs comforting from a sensitive and caring man. I'm thinking we could have a nice dinner. :smallwink:

Is it okay for me to get your stuff if you don't come back?

Darth Paul
2018-01-18, 07:05 PM

If you're going to pay my credit cards too, go for it, Fyraltari!

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-18, 07:11 PM
We're not gonna give the characters massive spoiler dumps of pertinent plot-information? No? Okay.

Uh... I murder Nale. As early as possible.

Fyraltari
2018-01-18, 07:23 PM
If you're going to pay my credit cards too, go for it, Fyraltari!
... You know what? I'm good as is, forget about it.

We're not gonna give the characters massive spoiler dumps of pertinent plot-information? No? Okay.

Uh... I murder Nale. As early as possible.
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait Can we choose at which moment we pop up or must we go at the in-comic time of strip 1110?

Syncro
2018-01-18, 07:26 PM
It depends of how powerful you are and whether to characters would like you enough to hang out

If there were no consequences, and all the stars are aligned, Belkar, just for the thrill of fantasy GTA

If I was still me and a defenseless human, Elan because he's also fun to be around and I'm curious about his backstory. The music would be a plus too.

Jaxzan Proditor
2018-01-19, 07:26 AM
I’d want to chat with the IFCC to see what they know. If that’s out, then I’d settle for a dinner with the Order when they’re no longer trying to save the world (or maybe some point during Azure City).

KillingAScarab
2018-01-19, 12:42 PM
If I could hang out with Ferdinand and Eartha (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0976.html) for a bit, maybe I could learn something about crafting with special materials.

...and if I was around Big Folks Inn at the right time, it might be nice to meet Wrecan.

D.One
2018-01-19, 01:31 PM
Ask some questions to the Oracle and spend the rest of my life trying to decypher the answers...

Give some massive spoilers to Roy and V in the very beggining of the story...

Celebrate new year in Azure City...

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-20, 04:12 AM
Ask some questions to the Oracle and spend the rest of my life trying to decypher the answers...

Beat me to it. The oracle does not seem limited to knowledge about the in-comic world, and leaving his domain through other means than walking past the edge of the memory charm let's you remember everything. That's a big opportunity.

Euclidodese
2018-01-20, 04:33 AM
I'm going out on the town with The Belkster... It'll probably end badly, but it'll be one hell of a ride.

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-20, 06:02 AM
Beat me to it. The oracle does not seem limited to knowledge about the in-comic world, and leaving his domain through other means than walking past the edge of the memory charm let's you remember everything. That's a big opportunity.
If the Oracle somehow has perfect fore-knowledge of the real world, he's also going to foresee that loophole and close it. You could always pay for some winning lottery numbers, but I hope you brought gold bars with you.

RatElemental
2018-01-20, 07:02 AM
I'd probably try to get Durkon to cast a bunch of clerical spells on me. Got a few cysts I think a remove disease would fix right up.

Maybe see if I could get a permanent polymorph of some sort too, that'd be pretty cool. To a different looking human, of course, or maybe a sufficiently human-looking and long lived thing.

Wait, does magic still follow us back? If not, do instantaneous effects revert?

Hell, you could swipe the most minor of wondrous items and come back to basically be a god and probably win that million dollars from the James Randy foundation.

DaOldeWolf
2018-01-20, 09:57 AM
Maybe join the Order on their quest to save the world if I can stay there for a long time.

If its for a short period of time maybe meet with O-Chul to talk and play a game.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-20, 10:02 AM
If its for a short period of time maybe meet with O-Chul to talk and play a game.During which period would you want to share in O-Chul's experiences? When he was cleaning Mr. Scruffy's litter box, preparing for a hobgoblin invasion, being fed to acid-breathing sharks, or in the arctic circle on a stakeout?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-20, 10:24 AM
If the Oracle somehow has perfect fore-knowledge of the real world, he's also going to foresee that loophole and close it. You could always pay for some winning lottery numbers, but I hope you brought gold bars with you.

O, I don't think the oracle will actually have perfect foreknowledge or even want to help me, he just can't help letting most of what he does know slip in order to mess with people.

I guess it's possible the guy just really likes Roy but doesn't want to show it, but most evidence suggests the loophole somehow escaped the Oracle's attention so far.

DaOldeWolf
2018-01-20, 10:25 AM
During which period would you want to share in O-Chul's experiences? When he was cleaning Mr. Scruffy's litter box, preparing for a hobgoblin invasion, being fed to acid-breathing sharks, or in the arctic circle on a stakeout?

Right now while he keeps on check of the last gate. He seemed like he could use someone to play with while waiting.

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-20, 10:59 AM
I guess it's possible the guy just really likes Roy but doesn't want to show it, but most evidence suggests the loophole somehow escaped the Oracle's attention so far.
Oh, you mean the time that Roy spent hovering after him in incorporeal form? ...Maybe. I'm not sure how useful the information Roy actually got was, but I'm fuzzy on the details there.

So, uh, if we're limiting ourselves to social visits... well, I'm tempted to say Miko, but I suspect she doesn't have a ton of free time and I'd basically have too many questions. Uh... maybe that teleporting azurite wizard? He's clearly got some beef going on.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-21, 10:09 AM
Right now while he keeps on check of the last gate. He seemed like he could use someone to play with while waiting.I suppose perpetual monotony is preferable to the other options. Lien is there to keep him company, though. Eh, whatever the case, you'll want something warm that blends in with the environment to bring along. I suggest a wand of Leomund's/OotS-equivalent-Mage's tiny hut (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tinyHut.htm).

Synesthesy
2018-01-21, 01:27 PM
If I can't ask the Oracle my own Grays' Sports Almanac, I would play a game with O-Chul. I would either like a talk with Redcloak, but I'm afraid he would only speak about work and religion.

Oh, and as third option, I would try to become an undead, one that retains both his body (unlike Xykon) and his mind (unlike Durkula), then I would date Tsukiko <3

LadyEowyn
2018-01-21, 02:30 PM
Would definitely want to talk with Redcloak. (Would have to appear as a goblinoid, for obvious reasons.). About work, politics, history, the most effective methods of destroying liches, etc.

SilverCacaobean
2018-01-24, 04:05 PM
I'd want to meet Solt Lorkyurg and I'd tell him not to get all his information from Fox news :'(

brian 333
2018-01-24, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't mind going fishing with Grandpa Greenhilt. We'd talk about nothing much, drink a few brews, and go home with vague memories of camaraderie. And we'd each have caught a fish this big! *Holds hands a meter apart.*

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-24, 05:35 PM
Hang out with the crew of the Mechane. They seem like decent, non-murdery folks that are now out of the way of the plot so should be safe enough for the duration of my stay. And I am definitely asking Felix for some ideas on fashion.

LuminousWarrior
2018-01-24, 06:49 PM
I'm going to stab Xykon as a baby. Maybe. Is it evil to kill a baby you know is going to grow up to be a literal monster? If so, I'm gonna go back and try delaying Miko during her little outburst that ended up destroying Soon's gate. A few rounds longer and the series would have ended happily ever after right there.

Also, you're still you means that you go in with whatever you have. If a gun fits that list, you can do a lot.

RatElemental
2018-01-24, 07:01 PM
Also, you're still you means that you go in with whatever you have. If a gun fits that list, you can do a lot.

Eh. In DND-like systems guns tend to just be bows that target touch AC if you're in a certain number of range increments. Those are usually primitive guns though, bringing a modern gun would probably just be one that targets touch AC just in general and maaaaybe has multiple attacks share an attack roll.

LuminousWarrior
2018-01-24, 07:24 PM
Eh. In DND-like systems guns tend to just be bows that target touch AC if you're in a certain number of range increments. Those are usually primitive guns though, bringing a modern gun would probably just be one that targets touch AC just in general and maaaaybe has multiple attacks share an attack roll.

That is true. Bah. To paraphrase V, it's almost like the universe trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can wield world-changing advanced weaponry and those who cannot!

But at least I could get Miko to wait a few rounds by distracting her. If I made sure I was wearing all blue and I appeared right in front of her, I might be able to get her to think I'm some sort of messenger from the Northern Gods. If I appeared at right the fourth panel of 460 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html). That should buy Soon's ghost a few more combat rounds, and then Miko would come in just in time for Soon to tell her to smash the phylactery.

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-24, 07:36 PM
But at least I could get Miko to wait a few rounds by distracting her. If I made sure I was wearing all blue and I appeared right in front of her, I might be able to get her to think I'm some sort of messenger from the Northern Gods. If I appeared at right the fourth panel of 460 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html). That should buy Soon's ghost a few more combat rounds, and then Miko would come in just in time for Soon to tell her to smash the phylactery.
If you're going for that sort of opportunity, I'd just tell Shojo to teleport all his highest-level paladins and clerics on top of Redcloak after Dorukan's Gate was destroyed. And ask him why the hell he wasn't doing that already (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545494-Questions-about-the-early-strip-and-Sapphire-Guard).

KillingAScarab
2018-01-24, 09:21 PM
But at least I could get Miko to wait a few rounds by distracting her. If I made sure I was wearing all blue and I appeared right in front of her, I might be able to get her to think I'm some sort of messenger from the Northern Gods. If I appeared at right the fourth panel of 460 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html). That should buy Soon's ghost a few more combat rounds, and then Miko would come in just in time for Soon to tell her to smash the phylactery.Think you meant Southern pantheon there. You could just grab the garb of one of the non-high priests of the twelve gods (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0456.html). Miko might be distracted by the fact you would smell like a swimming pool (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html).

If you're going for that sort of opportunity, I'd just tell Shojo to teleport all his highest-level paladins and clerics on top of Redcloak after Dorukan's Gate was destroyed. And ask him why the hell he wasn't doing that already (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545494-Questions-about-the-early-strip-and-Sapphire-Guard).Well, they were the Sapphire Guard. They guard the sapphire, which wasn't in Dorukan's dungeon. If they left the sapphire, it wouldn't be guarded and then they would need a new name.

Darth Paul
2018-01-25, 01:09 AM
Well, they were the Sapphire Guard. They guard the sapphire, which wasn't in Dorukan's dungeon. If they left the sapphire, it wouldn't be guarded and then they would need a new name.
"Blue Squadron?"

Oh... crap. That's right... I just watched Rogue One again the other day. I remember now why Blue Squadron didn't appear in any of the other Star Wars films.

Let's not rename them Blue Squadron.

emduck
2018-01-25, 01:15 AM
"Blue Squadron?"

Oh... crap. That's right... I just watched Rogue One again the other day. I remember now why Blue Squadron didn't appear in any of the other Star Wars films.

Let's not rename them Blue Squadron.

Oh wow, I didn't put that together. Thanks!

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-25, 07:34 AM
Well, they were the Sapphire Guard. They guard the sapphire, which wasn't in Dorukan's dungeon. If they left the sapphire, it wouldn't be guarded and then they would need a new name.
The Cobalt Crusade? The Lapis Legion? The Opal Order?

PopeLinus1
2018-01-25, 08:19 AM
I would go to the time of OaPC and meet the characters, hang out with Haley, annoy Roy, have sex with Elan, and than as I’m about to leave, I whisper to Roy- “Beware of Blue turned Brown.”

Fyraltari
2018-01-25, 08:21 AM
The Cobalt Crusade? The Lapis Legion? The Opal Order?

The Cyan Sentinels? The Nightly Knigths? The Sky Samurai? The Azure Army... wait.
The Ultramarines?

brian 333
2018-01-25, 10:33 AM
The Cyan Sentinels? The Nightly Knigths? The Sky Samurai? The Azure Army... wait.
The Ultramarines?

Cerulean Crusaders

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-29, 10:03 AM
The Indigo Go-Team? The Empyrean Avengers? The Navy ZEALs? The Cordon Bleu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Holy_Spirit#Cordon_Bleu)?

Peelee
2018-01-29, 10:43 AM
"Blue Squadron?"

I dunno, I could see someone make the case that ROTJ is a Star Wars film.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-29, 11:45 PM
The Navy ZEALs?This is my pick for the winning name, at least until their deities consider they have abandoned their oath and they become the Beige Brigade. It will be revealed they are lead by Dun Dun (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0968.html) Dugan (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Dum-Dum_Dugan).

Lacuna Caster
2018-01-30, 07:40 AM
This is my pick for the winning name, at least until their deities consider they have abandoned their oath and they become the Beige Brigade. It will be revealed they are lead by Dun Dun (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0968.html) Dugan (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Dum-Dum_Dugan).
Joking aside, you are aware that Miko was regularly being sent on missions that kept her away from the sapphire for months at a time, and only Fell for entirely different reasons?

2D8HP
2018-01-30, 08:37 AM
Where would it be safe?

Tinkertown in the Gnomelands looked neat, and the folks there seemed welcoming, but I wouldn't want to be around when Crystal attacked, and besides I'd probably bump my head and feel cramped since it's scaled for Gnomes.

Except for when Xykon and Redcloak attack Lirian's Gate, the Great Elven Forest seems relatively safe except when the mother Dragon attacked Inkyrius and the kids in Ivyleaf.

Someone mentioned upthread that most Elves are androgynous, but if Vaarsuvius is any indication the Elves don't seem to hassle you if your not, Lirian and Veldrina both seemed female and no mention is made of them getting troubled because of it.

Actually getting tips from Veldrina and Wrecan on getting by in the Stickverse seems wise, but there's that whole "End-of-the-World" thing to worry about.

All in all, visiting just doesn't seem wise, but I would like to sample some Dwarven ale.

Fyraltari
2018-01-30, 09:36 AM
Where would it be safe?

My problem with every "where would you go if you could go inside X fantasy universe". Ever.

brian 333
2018-01-30, 09:58 AM
My problem with every "where would you go if you could go inside X fantasy universe". Ever.

Be a hero! Heroes always survive the story.

Unless they are flawed heroes redeemed in their hour of death.

Or B-list heroes who die to demonstrate what the Big Bad can do.

Or if the hero dies to save the world...

Know what? Forget the hero schtick.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-30, 10:54 AM
Joking aside, you are aware that Miko was regularly being sent on missions that kept her away from the sapphire for months at a time, and only Fell for entirely different reasons?Joking... aside? No, sorry, you lost me. I'm here 90% for the wordplay.

dps
2018-01-30, 02:35 PM

Asking some of the characters out on a date would be a possibility, but it wouldn't be either of those two. (Not sure who I would ask out if that was my choice; for my tastes, it would have to be a hot non-evil female who is either straight or bi, and who isn't already spoken for--I don't want to cuckold some other guy). Though hanging out with Malack like Durkon did in town would be pretty cool.

On reflection, I think I'd actually like to have a talk with Jirix and find out more about his story.

Fyraltari
2018-01-30, 02:41 PM
Asking some of the characters out on a date would be a possibility, but it wouldn't be either of those two. (Not sure who I would ask out if that was my choice; for my tastes, it would have to be a hot non-evil female who is either straight or bi, and who isn't already spoken for--I don't want to cuckold some other guy). Though hanging out with Malack like Durkon did in town would be pretty cool.

On reflection, I think I'd actually like to have a talk with Jirix and find out more about his story.

What has this to do with me?

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-30, 05:05 PM
Arrive above OoTSverse world and ....
Nuke it from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure. :smallcool:

dps
2018-01-30, 06:12 PM

You replied to 2 earlier posts about asking a character out on a date.

Fyraltari
2018-01-30, 06:14 PM
You replied to 2 earlier posts about asking a character out on a date.

That was meant as a joke on how there dates were probably going to kill them...

KillingAScarab
2018-01-30, 11:15 PM
Arrive above OoTSverse world and ....
Nuke it from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure. :smallcool:Normally, yes, but you're dealing with D&D hit points and saving throws. Someone's going to roll a 20.

RatElemental
2018-01-31, 02:44 AM
Normally, yes, but you're dealing with D&D hit points and saving throws. Someone's going to roll a 20.

Usually just means half damage. However with the law of large numbers, someone will roll a 20, and also be a rogue :smalltongue:

eilandesq
2018-01-31, 03:06 AM
The watchtower from #368, just before they let Miko in. I appear next to the signalling beacon on the fourth floor, activate the beacon, and kneel with my hands up to wait for the guards to come. I tell them, "You might want to flee from the huge army of hobgoblins led by a lich that is just over the horizon--your work here is done."

martianmister
2018-01-31, 06:51 PM

He gave you permission to get his stuff, in case of Jirix's turning him into shark's food.

bc56
2018-02-03, 09:00 AM
I would go to the Arctic, talk/play Go with O-Chul, then see if I can't sneak into the bugbear camp and find out what :mitd: is under that umbrella.

Shulk
2018-02-08, 02:15 PM
Personally I'd either have a good chat with roy, discuss swordsplay, politics, maybe inform them about modern technology, Possibly talk to belkar to see how his mid works, or just get to know hayley and elan.

Who knows, Maybe i'd make a good temporary party member, Heh.

knag
2018-02-08, 03:23 PM
Chill in the Elven Forest discussing the nature of magic with Aarindarius. Maybe pick up a scone from Inkyrius' bakery. See if I can learn Magic Missile before I leave.

woweedd
2018-02-09, 06:34 AM
Go to Miko, shortly before she meets the Order, and give her some freaking counseling, and a crash-course in Non-Violent Resolution. Failing that...Ask out Celia.

The Pilgrim
2018-03-15, 03:58 AM
I would give Therkla a potion of Neutralize Poison.

Darkship
2018-03-15, 08:01 AM
I tell V about his familycide before he does it

The Pilgrim
2018-03-15, 10:04 AM
I would also borrow the Ring of True Seeing from Tarquin, then follow V to the loo.

Kallor
2018-03-15, 06:38 PM
This would likely end terribly for me, but... I kinda really wanna know what that vampire lady was planning to do, and why she needed a poncho :P

bc56
2018-03-16, 06:59 AM
I would introduce the gang to 5e. Just for laughs.

PopeLinus1
2018-03-16, 08:35 AM
“Use, Use, Use, Use my Full Caster Spell Slots!

davidbofinger
2018-03-19, 07:39 AM
Something that maybe needs to be clarified: do we arrive with possessions that we can trade for wealth and use to prove we're something special, or are we, ahem, invisible?

Taking back a textbook of magic would be huge if it still worked on arrival and worth doing even if it didn't - who knows what we might learn?

An anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee would be nice, if it wasn't too much trouble.

jay103
2018-03-19, 10:36 AM
An anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee would be nice, if it wasn't too much trouble.

I'm kinda curious to see if heal spells can fix diabetes.

(as for characters, it might be interesting to talk to the Monster in the Dark (enlightened version))

Peelee
2018-03-19, 01:45 PM
I'm kinda curious to see if heal spells can fix diabetes.

I'd imagine that would fall under Remove Disease.

RatElemental
2018-03-19, 07:10 PM
I'd imagine that would fall under Remove Disease.

At the very least a lesser restoration or two to fix the damage, and maybe a(n item of) bear's endurance to help on the saves against disease.

DaLucaray
2018-03-19, 11:49 PM
Ask Oona and O-Chul what they think MitD is (I would ask Xykon too but that... doesn't seem wise.) then spend the rest of my time trying to learn magic in hopes that it would carry over to the real world, or at the very least I'd get to see what it feels like.