PDA

View Full Version : Omg 1111?!?

gooddragon1
2018-01-18, 08:34 PM
We're one strip away from 1111. Just a psa.

TheNecrocomicon
2018-01-18, 10:18 PM
We're one strip away from 1111. Just a psa.

Doesn't that make it strip #15? Unless you're nonbinary :smallbiggrin:

137beth
2018-01-18, 11:11 PM
Doesn't that make it strip #15? Unless you're nonbinary :smallbiggrin:

So, V would say that it is not the 15th strip.
Since V is nonbinary, but I really didn't want to explain the joke except in white text.

Euclidodese
2018-01-19, 03:55 AM
And what does 1111 look like..?

Four sticks.

There are currently five members of The Order of the Stick.

In the next strip... One of them will die...

Illuminati confirmed.

D.One
2018-01-19, 06:20 AM
And what does 1111 look like..?

Four sticks.

Let the Fourth Strip War begin...

Jaxzan Proditor
2018-01-19, 07:28 AM
I’m still holding out for strip 1024 myself. :smalltongue:

Cavenskull
2018-01-19, 12:43 PM
And it's the only comic where all four digits will be the same.

Cavenskull
2018-01-19, 12:45 PM
So, V would say that it is not the 15th strip.
I see what you did there. :D

EDIT: Then I saw what else you did there. :P

D.One
2018-01-19, 01:52 PM
One would think any one could trade places with some other one, and no one would notice...

martianmister
2018-01-19, 03:37 PM
Reminder: There will be no strip 2222, it's the last repdigit strip ever. :smallfrown:

Chronos
2018-01-20, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but we're only also only two strips from 1112! And three away from 1113!

D.One
2018-01-22, 06:25 AM
Reminder: There will be no strip 2222, it's the last repdigit strip ever. :smallfrown:

Which makes me think: will there be a #1234 Strip?

Jannoire
2018-01-22, 07:14 AM

Damn it! Does anyone remember, when the doomsday clock for our beloved halfling ranger is set? I remember a thread about guessing the time he has left...

Synesthesy
2018-01-22, 09:06 AM

but maybe there will be a bonus strip, 1111.1!

martianmister
2018-01-22, 09:35 AM
Which makes me think: will there be a #1234 Strip?

Probably. 1234

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-22, 10:08 AM
Probably. 1234
Most likely not. Book six isn't done yet and we are at 1110. For there to only be 123 more strips ... let's do some math.

Average of 123 pages per seven books = Seven books = 861. Long since gone.

Guessing at least 1260, closer to 1300.
I think book 5 ended at strip 936.
That's about 187 strips per book. (yes, I realize they aren't all the same length, and the published / pdf books have bonus strips ...)

martianmister
2018-01-22, 11:33 AM
Most likely not. Book six isn't done yet and we are at 1110. For there to only be 123 more strips ... let's do some math.

That's about 187 strips per book. (yes, I realize they aren't all the same length, and the published / pdf books have bonus strips ...)

...What? :smallconfused:

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-01-22, 12:29 PM

You seem confused. They are not saying 1234 will be the final in the slightest. They are saying it maybe the last strip with a simple arithmetical pattern with the form 1+xn. 1111 is a data set that's 1+0n for example. 1234 is 1+1n. If it only goes to 1300 as you think, 1379 (1+2n) will never be a comic, which is the next arithmetical pattern occurring. The next one after that would result in a double digits number (1+3n, with 1 4 7 10) so it could never be reverse engineered into a discernible pattern. :vaarsuvius:

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-22, 04:57 PM
They are not saying 1234 will be the final in the slightest. They are saying it maybe the last strip with a simple arithmetical pattern with the form 1+xnOK,///////////

Chronos
2018-01-23, 08:37 AM
No, they're just asking if there will be a strip #1234, without any commentary at all on strips after that. But KorvinStarmast apparently got confused, and said "probably not", and then explicitly showed why it was probable.

multilis
2018-01-23, 01:09 PM
But there will be a thread 2222 after Disney buys the rights to the comic, and then we'll start out with a repeat of similar plot to first 1/6 of comic, followed by some nazi copycats as villains (to make sure you know their evil), where nazi refers to Belkar "killo-nazi" graph rather than any real world politics.

Roy will become a grumpy old man (sort of like his dad) and a new generation of female hero will take his place as protagonist.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-01-23, 01:48 PM
a new generation of female hero will take his place as protagonist.

Sounds good to me.

GW

gooddragon1
2018-01-23, 02:19 PM
Sounds good to me.

GW

She will also have 50% more hair than Roy.

https://d1u1mce87gyfbn.cloudfront.net/media/thumbnail/sombra-concept-8b9d88c6133f3248b496415b4ff11aad97e9cab5515daee752 6bbd17585bd8063899f1536e9646adb3e4d81f3b593822c2f1 fe0a30c0c219550b54c53fb1a6fe.jpg

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-01-23, 02:35 PM
She will also have 50% more hair than Roy.

That's not how percentages

That's

That

++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start

I hate you. You made my brain hurt.

GW

gooddragon1
2018-01-23, 02:36 PM

That's not how percentages

That's

That

I hate you. You made my brain hurt.

GW

She has hair on 50% of her head. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view. *maniacal laughter*

EDIT: Nerfed diabolical to maniacal to remove evil component.
EDIT: I cannot confirm or deny that I posted the 50% hair comment to elicit a response for the sole purpose of making the certain point of view comment.

Euclidodese
2018-01-23, 03:27 PM
To be fair, Roy probably has more hair than her, it's just not on his head.

D.One
2018-01-23, 03:56 PM
And we already know her father (last panel) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0942.html)...

Elanasaurus
2018-01-23, 10:25 PM
So the new fighter would be Haley's cousin's daughter.

Then maybe the wizard would be Julia's kid.

V's children could be in the party as well!

And Kudzu, of course, is the bearded bootclad god of war.
:elan:

Mad Humanist
2018-01-24, 02:50 AM

I know the Giant has said that we are more than half-way through. But the books get bigger and bigger. So it's a bit like Zeno's paradox.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-24, 05:48 AM
So the new fighter would be Haley's cousin's daughter.

Then maybe the wizard would be Julia's kid.

V's children could be in the party as well!

And Kudzu, of course, is the bearded bootclad god of war.
:elan:

I am pretty sure we see Belkar's spawn in this last panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1107.html). What are the chances of that kid turning out okay?

Who have we left out? Elan! So that means Hayley gets a double-shot at the next one.

D.One
2018-01-24, 07:10 AM
I am pretty sure we see Belkar's spawn in this last panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1107.html). What are the chances of that kid turning out okay?

Not to question your joke, but what makes you conclude that could be Belkar's kid?

Who have we left out? Elan! So that means Hayley gets a double-shot at the next one.

Until now, we have:

Haley's cousin's daughter, a human Fighter that specializes in halberds;
Julia's son, a human Wizard specialized in transmutation, who tries to avoid both the legacy of a warrior family and the mistakes of his illusionist grandfather;
One of V's children, a elven Ranger, honnoring V's parents (the other child choose to stay with Inkyrius and take on the family bussiness as a baker, despite having a strong talent for wizardry - it could be a future plot hook);
Kudzu grows up to became a dwarven Barbarian, both to steer away from the divine conflicts his parents were involved with and to reflect the chaotic enviroment his was created in;

I'm still not convinced the baby you cited is the half-halfling children of Belkar and the rogue from thieves guild (mostly because if so, the mother is right there on the poker table, and thus no babysitting services would be needed), so there's still an open spot for a halfling, possibly related to Belkar.

As for Elan, I believe he and Haley will have identical twins: one of them will become a bard and flee home in search for his grandfather, fascinated by his story of villany, and the other, who allways liked the stories daddy used to tell about his best buddy Roy and the battle of Azure City, will grow up to become a honorable and righteous warrior and the first new Paladin of the reforged Saphire Guard.

EDIT:

PS: oh, my god, we created a Fan Fiction!!! :smalleek:

Mandor
2018-01-24, 08:01 AM

Four sticks.

There are currently five members of The Order of the Stick.

Alternately, they may just break out some Led Zeppelin. Four Sticks, then Going to California. :smallcool:

But I will admit, I was glad to see your post, becuase SOMEONE had to say it, and I was going to if no one else did.

Jasdoif
2018-01-24, 03:52 PM
Julia's son, a human Wizard specialized in transmutation, who tries to avoid both the legacy of a warrior family and the mistakes of his illusionist grandfather;Seems like a wasted opportunity to write in Julia, a wizard herself, determined to beat the accomplishments of her father and brother (which she figures shouldn't be that difficult, if her meatshield of a brother did a better job dealing with sorcerers than her father did).

martianmister
2018-01-24, 09:12 PM
Not to question your joke, but what makes you conclude that could be Belkar's kid?

Probably because of baby's skin tone. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html)

Mad Humanist
2018-01-25, 02:22 AM

I wasn't joking. I was totally serious.

Probably because of baby's skin tone. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html)

Now there is someone, who is wearing the same glasses as me.

Euclidodese
2018-01-25, 02:49 AM
But the wrong lady is betting her baby, the curly haired woman Belkar got off with was just betting cash.

(And her expression doesn't read: Ah, a chance to win back the baby I lost in a previous, off-panel bet)

Fyraltari
2018-01-25, 03:09 AM
But the wrong lady is betting her baby, the curly haired woman Belkar got off with was just betting cash.

(And her expression doesn't read: Ah, a chance to win back the baby I lost in a previous, off-panel bet)

And the joke aboutthe Church's childcare does not work if that Cleric is not babysitting the baby and Greysky city was really not long enough ago.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-25, 04:05 AM

I don't think we know enough to judge either way. Jenny might be thinking: "Oh dear! I don't have the cards to win back my baby." However a society where people even think of betting away their children is a bit messed up. I guess the upside is that there are a lot of adults around, the downside is all of them seem to be shirking responsibility for the babies.

Sinewmire
2018-01-25, 05:19 AM
I don't think we know enough to judge either way. Jenny might be thinking: "Oh dear! I don't have the cards to win back my baby." However a society where people even think of betting away their children is a bit messed up. I guess the upside is that there are a lot of adults around, the downside is all of them seem to be shirking responsibility for the babies.

My first thought that it was Roy's baby with Suzy Finkelstein! But no, that doesn't make any sense at all. As fun as it would be, I don't think that's Belkar's three-quarterling baby, as the whole point of the joke is that the Church of Loki don't take good care of infants assigned to their babysitting.

If A) the mother is there, why's the baby with a babysitter and B) why would the cleric be ante-ing up a baby that she's not 'caring' for? C) No reaction from Jenny. D) They didn't live Greysky city all that long ago. E) Can you even get three-quarterlings?

D.One
2018-01-25, 06:28 AM
A) the mother is there, why's the baby with a babysitter?

My thoughts exactly...

B) why would the cleric be ante-ing up a baby that she's not 'caring' for?

She could have won the baby from the mother's bet, but this explanation creates an enviroment way darker than what I think The Giant intended and doesn't fit with the joke about Loki's Church Babycare.

C) No reaction from Jenny.

Again, can be explained by the dark possibility above, and again doesn't cope with the joke.

D) They didn't live Greysky city all that long ago.

We don't quite know how much time elapsed during the trip to western continent, but it wasn't 7-9 months, probably.

E) Can you even get three-quarterlings?

For the sake of the comedy, I think yes, you could.

Fyraltari
2018-01-25, 06:30 AM
Can you even get three-quarterlings?

If you can get half-dragons you really should be able to get half-halflings.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-25, 08:34 AM
She could have won the baby from the mother's bet, but this explanation creates an enviroment way darker than what I think The Giant intended and doesn't fit with the joke about Loki's Church Babycare.

This comic has children being tortured in front of a parent to punish the other parent. My interpretation is Teletubbies compared to that.

martianmister
2018-01-25, 08:34 AM

Wouldn't be out of character for her. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html)

Fyraltari
2018-01-25, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't be out of character for her. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html)

The Thieves' Guild is not a place where you make many friends. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0603.html)

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-01-27, 02:43 AM

Jenny was a bard/sorcerer/rogue, right? Not a cleric of Loki.

Emanick
2018-01-27, 03:22 PM
This comic has children being tortured in front of a parent to punish the other parent. My interpretation is Teletubbies compared to that.

Well, yeah, but that wasn't a joke. This is.

martianmister
2018-01-27, 04:13 PM
The Thieves' Guild is not a place where you make many friends. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0603.html)

She seems friendly with them. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0605.html)