PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next > Help? Fighter Homebrew

meganeman
2018-01-18, 09:06 PM
One of my players did this based on a reddit thread by Named_Bort. How can i balance it while keeping the Battle Master maneuvers in the base class?

Mods:

Maneuvers went from Battle Master Archetype to Base Class
Indomitable (1) and (2) went from Base Class to Sentinel Archetype. Indomitable (3) added to Sentinel Archetype
Two extra Ability Score Improvements went from Base Class to Paragon Archetype
Remarkable Athlete went from Champion Archetype to Base Class (optional)
Combat Intuition added to Base Class
Extra Attack (3) went from 20th level to 17th level, following the feature rearrangement pattern set by 5e Monks and Warlocks
Second Wind evolution added in Sentinel’s archetype
Survivor went from Champion archetype to Vindicator archetype
Vindicator Archetype has Brute Force and Brutish Durability, from Unearthed Arcana’s Brute Archetype. The Archetype also has Fighting Spirit and Tireless Spirit, from Xanathar’s Guide to everything’s Samurai Archetype, in addition to Survivor from the Champion Archetype, from the Player’s Handbook 5e.

https://i.pi.gy/rj8ew.jpg

Combat Intuition
Slayers aren't trained in only strength or agility, a skilled warrior knows how to read his opponents and understand what they will do before they think to do it
As a bonus action, you can use your Insight in an attempt to gauge your opponents and the battle. You size up one opponent within 5 feet of you, making a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by their Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) or Charisma (Deception) check. Any enemy that fails this check suffers Disadvantage on actions taken against you until your next turn.

PS: you cant stack Brute Force and maneuver die

JNAProductions
2018-01-18, 09:23 PM
Did you post this twice by accident?

And Combat Intuition is too good, considering enemies generally have low skills, and even if they don't, forcing disadvantage on EVERYTHING with a bonus action with even vague reliability is too good.

meganeman
2018-01-19, 12:07 AM
Did you post this twice by accident?

i dont know what happened. It just posted an unedited version along with this one

meganeman
2018-01-21, 08:11 PM
And Combat Intuition is too good, considering enemies generally have low skills, and even if they don't, forcing disadvantage on EVERYTHING with a bonus action with even vague reliability is too good.

Combat Intuition

Slayers aren't trained in only strength or agility, a skilled warrior knows how to read his opponents and understand what they will do before they think to do it

Whenever you make an attack and it hits, you may hold the subsequent attacks to get into a defensive stance and try to use your combat experience to attempt to gauge your opponent’s bodily response. You size up one opponent within 30 feet of you that you’ve harmed, making a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by their Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) or Charisma (Deception) check. Any enemy that fails this check takes a -5 penalty in all attack rolls against you until the end of the creature’s next turn. However, it’s added +5 to the creature’s damage rolls as long as they’re aimed at you. You can’t take any action or bonus action after this ability is activated and you can only activate this ability on your first attack roll.

what do you think about it like this?

Composer99
2018-01-27, 08:52 PM
General remarks:
(1) Why is there an ASI at 20th level, instead of 19th? There aren't many "hard and fast" rules for class design, butt hat's surely one of them. ASIs are at 19th level, and class-specific capstones are at 20th. I guess you could say "no other class gets an ASI at 20th!", but you're not getting any ability that is unique to fighters. Surely there could be something better than an ASI?

(2)Why are two fighter ASIs getting moved to a subclass? The two extra ASIs are part of the fighter's shtick. They don't do the archetype any favours - if anything, they're bad for the subclass, because they take away room for distinct and thematic features. If you don't want the base class to have the extra ASIs because it gets battlemaster maneuvers, that's fine. They just don't belong in an archetype (of which more below).

Archetypes:
Both the paragon and the sentinel are boring. There's not really much else to say.

Think of the other fighter archetypes - other than the champion, they all get some cool shtick: Battlemasters get maneuvers (*), Eldritch Knight gets spells, Arcane Archer gets the magic arrow tricks, and so on. Even archetypes that don't get those kinds of features get something that sets them apart from other fighters.

(*) I realise that this fighter retool is making the battlemaster's core feature part of the fighter base class, but I'm using them in this paragraph as an example.

The paragon gets one of the champion's features, and then nothing else to set it apart from the generic fighter. The sentinel is even worse: it takes away what ought to be a generic fighter feature (Indomitable) from the base class, gets an upgrade to Second Wind (that should probably just be part of the base fighter class), and gets absolutely nothing that makes one think of a "sentinel".

Recommendations:
I'd recommend ditching the paragon, and just having the RAW champion be a subclass. Revise the Vindicator so it has a new 18th-level feature, and change the sentinel so it actually has some features that pertain to being a sentinel: Protection as a bonus fighting style; extra opportunity attacks (like the XGtE... Cavalier, I think?); that sort of thing.