PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to deal with an Antimagic Field

EldritchWeaver
2018-01-19, 07:58 AM
So last session my GM made true on his promise and increased the difficulty of RotR AP. So we entered the main dungeon of Jorgenfist and encountered in the second room enemies, which activated a homebrewed AMF. Homebrewed, because its reach actually extends back to the entrance, as it happens to be a spread in addition. Now this screws with the magic-users nearly completely. Except for my blaster who can actually cast into the AMF from the outside, but I'm not sure if we have line of sight to the enemies and those didn't chase us - which means that I might not be able to employ this tactic anyway. Our melee guys are pretty much debuffed and healing won't of course work. We have also a guy with Hellcat Stealth, who still might be able to Stealth through (despite losing +20 of a bonus) and find the generators. The "tower shield blocks AMF" tactic doesn't work because of the change to a spread.

That's our available options I can think of. There must be others ways still left I am missing. The GM mentioned, that he has left several approaches open, but isn't sure if we can access them. For example, we don't have Spellbane anyway. So do you have any suggestions what we could still do?

Edit: We use SoP in addition to core magic, but no one has a talent available which would help with an AMF directly. The hedgewitch is also out of Spirit Allies for the day. So anything SoP-related would be interesting, but would require rest first.

Dragovon
2018-01-31, 03:37 PM
Depends on what the GM will allow you. I'm not sure how your spells are taking effect within the AMF despite casting from outside, because they shouldn't. There are very few ways that I'm aware with to deal with it. Rod of Cancellation or Mage's Disjunction on the AMF. Alternatively there are a pair of 3rd party 3.0 feats that let a caster potentially cast in AMF. 1st one give you 50% spell failure, 2nd brings it up to only 10% spell failure. The source for them is St John's College of Abjuration...not sure publisher. There could be other ways I'm unfamiliar with.

EldritchWeaver
2018-02-01, 04:42 AM
My character is employing Spheres of Power, so there is a way to turn magical attacks into non-magical attacks. Further talking with the GM confirmed that the undead don't have ranged weaponry, so I got a plan. The elven ranger will shoot them from afar, while the dwarf monk carries him. Should the undead attempt to kill the ranger, the monk can keep the ranger (and himself) out of melee range. In the worst case, the undead come into attack range of my blaster and I can take them out, respectively slow them down with entangling them.

Still, while the feats - even if allowed - are not of use right now, since we can't take them, I will look them up. They might be useful later, although they need some conversion work to fit into PF.

Eldariel
2018-02-01, 08:23 AM
Depends on your party. Casters can still summon stuff with SR to function within AMF. Further, casters can cast instantaneous Conjurations (Wall of Stone, Wall of Iron, etc.) function even within an antimagic field and while they may not block the AMF itself, they may block the enemies within. Shrink Item allows carrying e.g. boulders, spikes, giant swords or whatever in and throwing them inside having them instantaneously acquire their full size. This can be a rather effective angle of attack. If you cast Conjuration: Calling spells like Planar Ally/Binding, or Animate Dead for your own Zombie Hydra or whatever, those all work just fine and they generally outmuscle most things in AMFs.

What level are you? What is your party composition? What preparations have you made in general? Can you dig around the room or cause it to collapse with Polymorph/Summons/Earthquake/etc.? Do you have access to Polymorph Any Object? Can you Teleport/Dimension Door past it? What kinds of enemies are you dealing with? Can you just pepper them with ranged attacks until they die (Telekinesis for Violent Thrust is a good example of a magical attack that works just fine against enemies in an AMF)? Can you skirmish them? Use alchemical items? Infinite options exist, the more spellcasters the better.

FelineArchmage
2018-02-01, 11:49 AM
This is a very temporary solution, but there is a spell called Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness that allows you to cast spells where you normally couldn't, such as in an antimagic field. It won't help right now since it sounds like you're already in the midst of a dungeon, but perhaps something to keep in mind for the future?

Downside is is that the spell has to be 4th level or lower and there's a pricey material component. So it's extremely circumstantial as well.

Edit: My apologies, I just realized that this is a Pathfinder thread and not 3.5.