PDA

View Full Version : What feat should I take? (revised beast master)

MagneticKitty
2018-01-19, 11:30 AM
This would be the lv 8 feat.
Stats are
Str 5/ dex 17/ con 16/ int 11/ wis 14/ Cha 8
All spells are utility and hunters mark not dependent on high Wis.
Race kobold / Revised ranger beast master
I have a wolf and two weapon fighting style
And the feat mounted combatant.

Considering
dual weilding feat for +1 ac and rapiers over short swords.
Or
Urd wings (expanded racial feats official purchasable kobold feat) +1 dex (which also gives me ac) and 30 ft flight.

Or suggest whatever you think fits.
Also what do you think of my wolf riding kobold? :)

alchahest
2018-01-19, 11:33 AM
since you're going for two weapon fighting and not archery, I'd probably go for dual wielding. Though, the jump up from shortswords isn't that large, you may want to consider mounted combatant instead to help keep your wolf alive.

MagneticKitty
2018-01-19, 11:44 AM
I already have mounted combatant. I got it at lv 4. Also my wolf has one more ac then me hahah.

alchahest
2018-01-19, 11:46 AM
I somehow missed it completely. Then yeah, I'd go for Dual Wielder!
alternately, +1 Dex/+1 Str.

MagneticKitty
2018-01-19, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I'd rather have the +1 dex and flight
then +1 dex and +1 str
Dual weilding feat will let me hit harder. Urd wings will be a fun rp feature. And good utility. I might need the power more than the fun of flight though.

PeteNutButter
2018-01-19, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I'd rather have the +1 dex and flight
then +1 dex and +1 str
Dual weilding feat will let me hit harder. Urd wings will be a fun rp feature. And good utility. I might need the power more than the fun of flight though.

Dual wielding feat will not let you hit harder. Adding to your dex increases your damage and chance to hit by 1 so boosting dex is more of a damage increase than the feat, and the same AC boost. I'd take something to boost dex. Flight is overpowered. You'll notice the dragon wings UA feat didn't make it into Xanathar's guide.

MagneticKitty
2018-01-19, 01:37 PM
Dual wielding feat will not let you hit harder. Adding to your dex increases your damage and chance to hit by 1 so boosting dex is more of a damage increase than the feat, and the same AC boost. I'd take something to boost dex. Flight is overpowered. You'll notice the dragon wings UA feat didn't make it into Xanathar's guide.

Using two rapiers d8 over short swords d6, is hitting harder.

PeteNutButter
2018-01-19, 02:00 PM
Using two rapiers d8 over short swords d6, is hitting harder.

1d8+3 vs 1d6+4 is the same average damage. And the 1d6+4 has a better chance to hit since dex is higher, making DPR higher overall.

Also you get better dex save, initiative, dex skills etc. The only reasons to ever take Dual Wielder are if a) you start with it as a variant human, b) you already have a 20 dex/str, or c) you've found a one-handed martial weapon that isn't light that you want to TWF with.

MagneticKitty
2018-01-19, 02:23 PM
I suppose I will take urd wings feat first then. Thanks

Easy_Lee
2018-01-19, 02:29 PM
Magic Initiate would be an option if not for the wording of your level 5 ability. Dual Wielder would be potentially great if you were Strength-based and wanted to use lances, but it adds less to a dexterity character. Shield Master would be nice in combination with Mounted Combatant if you had expertise athletics or something, but is a bit redundant with the wolf and pack tactics. Sentinel is useful but would be better if your wolf took it somehow.

I think Urd Wings is the right choice.