PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need knowledge of Faerun gods(D&D) AND Innistrad (MTG)!

Pinjata
2018-01-19, 02:27 PM
With all the twists and turns campaign in which I currently play has taken, I have a rather convoluted plan of how to patch things together when i get the scepter of a DM. I'd like to ask for help those who know settings of Faerun(D&D) and Innistrad (MTG).

Here is the deal: A god of Faerun is a "friend" across the planes to Avacyn angel/god of Innistrad. With dissapearance of Avacyn, friendly god from Faerun "helps" Avacyn with a number of small favours. Like, he/she "transfers" some competent adventurers from Faerun to Innistrad, to do some small bidding there.

My question is: Who would be the best pick in Faerun setting to be "a friend" with Avacyn AND be at the same time able to "send" adventurers (basically sending their souls into bodies on a new plane) to Innistrad? Some god dealing with fate? Travel? Both?

As a reward, god will give them deep insights into a massive campaign, PCs will be fighting against Drow in the coming months.

Tinkerer
2018-01-19, 03:01 PM
From what I understand of the Faerun deities any of them operating at full strength should be able to accomplish the actual task of sending adventurers there (the actual ability of sending the soul and creating a body is a relatively simple task, reaching the plane may be the difficult part). From what I know about Avacyn it seems as though a Lawful Neutral god would be the most likely to befriend her. The first one which springs to mind is probably Helm, the Lawful Neutral god of guardians. They both are known for destroying their own kind if the law demands it (Avacyn destroying a fellow angel and Helm destroying the... first Mystra? Or the second, I can't recall). They are both protectors. And the reward seems to line up with his domain.

That would be my first instinct anyway.

Narkis
2018-01-19, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Tinkerer is spot on. Any Faerunian god should be able to send them there, and since no one worships them directly there they'd be unable to intervene more directly. Helm the Watcher, god of Guardians, would fit pretty well with Avacyn personality-wise and both the task you want and the reward suit him.

Alternatively if you want a good-aligned deity you could use a member of the Triad, probably either Tyr, god of Justice, or Torm, god of Duty. Tyr is, like Helm, a Greater Deity and the more powerful of the two, but he'd probably object to some of her methods and he'd definitely have issues with Sorin. Torm would also get along fine with Avacyn, both of them having no compunctions sacrificing themselves to defeat a great evil besieging their city (Griselbrand and Bane respectively), but I can't really see him giving that kind of a reward to the players.

Oh, and Helm killed the first Mystra who was the second goddess of magic after Mystryl, unless you count Karsus's brief apotheosis, in which case she was the third.

Nifft
2018-01-19, 11:22 PM
IIRC there's a whole not-Egyptian pantheon which left their native world and moved to FR, these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities#Mulhorandi_panthe on

Since they're already planar traveler gods, they might be good candidates for planar shenanigans.

Narkis
2018-01-19, 11:36 PM
IIRC there's a whole not-Egyptian pantheon which left their native world and moved to FR, these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities#Mulhorandi_panthe on

Since they're already planar traveler gods, they might be good candidates for planar shenanigans.

It's actually more common than you think. Common enough that there's a specific term, "Interloper deity", for gods who originated in another plane and whose worship and presence spread to Faerun. Tyr himself was originally and canonicaly of the norse pantheon before he fell in with the Triad, as well as most (all perhaps, I can't remember) of the nonhuman deities and a whole bunch of others, like the Egyptians and the Babylonians.

Pinjata
2018-01-20, 06:20 AM
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much! :)