PDA

View Full Version : Healing or mitigating non-lethal damage

martixy
2018-01-19, 03:54 PM
I'm looking ways to heal or mitigate non-lethal damage that are not:
a) Immunities (although I only know of two ways here - changing type to something that's immune like undead or favor of the martyr - any others?)
b) Don't heal lethal damage, or heal non-lethal damage better than lethal.

Only thing I'm aware of that deals specifically with non-lethal damage is Dragon magazine 304's Hasten recovery spell (L5) that lets you heal non-lethal at a rate of HD/round.

Yogibear41
2018-01-19, 04:21 PM
There is a 3rd level spell in BOED that completely heals all non-lethal damage.

Hellpyre
2018-01-19, 04:35 PM
Natural healing is much more effective on non-lethal :P

Other than that, the Druid spell Dawn can deal with an arbitrary amount of nonlethal damage by making a character Staggered instead of unconsious, which would set their nonlethal to their current hit points instead of whatever it was before.

And the BoED spell is Refreshment.

martixy
2018-01-19, 11:25 PM
There is a 3rd level spell in BOED that completely heals all non-lethal damage.

So that hasten recovery spell in dragon is L5 and heals HD/round in non-lethal.
And the BoED one is L3 and just fricking heals all of it. No sacrifice, no fancy-schancy components, even AoE.

I can't even......

Hellpyre
2018-01-20, 02:16 PM
So that hasten recovery spell in dragon is L5 and heals HD/round in non-lethal.
And the BoED one is L3 and just fricking heals all of it. No sacrifice, no fancy-schancy components, even AoE.

I can't even......

I mean, at least Hasten Recovery has an ongoing effect, so it has situations where it might be more useful than Refreshment. Still, yeah, sometimes the spell level balance isn't quite there.

ShurikVch
2018-01-20, 04:55 PM
I'm looking ways to heal or mitigate non-lethal damage that are not:
a) Immunities (although I only know of two ways here - changing type to something that's immune like undead or favor of the martyr - any others?)Crimson Scourge PrC (Cityscape) immune to non-lethal from level 8

To the main question:
Brawler PrC (Dragon #295)
Subdual Damage Reduction (Su): At 4th level, the brawler gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury due To subdual damage. Subtract the brawler's Constitution bonus from any attack or spell that deals subdual damage. The brawler takes subdual damage from forced marches, hustling overland, and non-combat sources normally.
Mighty Contender of Kord PrC (Dragon #283)
Mighty Endurance: A mighty contender has a special form of damage reduction that allows him to ignore 5 points of subdual damage every time he is dealt subdual damage. This extraordinary ability applies to all effects that deal subdual damage.
Pugilist - Fighter variant (Dragon #310, errated in #313)
Iron Jaw: Whenever the pugilist suffers nonlethal damage, the damage is reduced by a number equal to the pugilist's Constitution bonus. The pugilist also gain a +1 to saves to resist any attack that would leave her stunned.
Shake it Off: The pugilist develops fast healing 1 that applies only to non-lethal damage. This ability also reduces the duration of all stunning effects by 1 round, with a minimum of 1 round. The pugilist can take this ability multiple times; it's effects stack.

Yogibear41
2018-01-21, 03:37 AM
Should be noted that Refreshment affects everything in an area, including enemies, could be bad for business if you are fighting trolls or devils. Its also a good aligned spell, so only way to get it as an evil character is by casting it as an arcane spell(bard)

martixy
2018-01-21, 05:57 PM
Neat. Thanks Shurik.