PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Thinking about a wizard 2/sorcerer X

holywhippet
2018-01-19, 04:35 PM
I've been thinking about this build and to my mind not much stops it from being better than pure sorcerer or wizard. By taking two levels of wizard you get the initial bonus from whatever school you choose. You also get a solid range of first level spells in your spell book and can keep adding any compatible scrolls you find to it. When you start taking sorcerer levels you do need to wait until taking your second sorcerer level to take level 2 spells, unless your wizard can get hold of some level 2 spell scrolls.

From there on you can keep adding any wizard suitable scrolls you can find to your books and use your 2 + int bonus spells you can prepare from anything in your book as well as your sorcerer spells. Even if you can't find spell scrolls to copy you can make them yourself using your sorcerer known spells, copy them to your spell book then swap out for a new on next level.

The sorcerer metamagic options can be applied to both your wizard and sorcerer spells and the wizard school options apply to any type of spell cast also from what I can see.

About the only weakness I can see with this build is that you would focus on charisma rather than intelligence so your save DC and attack bonus for wizard spells would not be as good. But you can counter that by focusing on wizard spells that don't involve saves or attack rolls while leaving the attack and save type spells to your sorcerer known spells.

Does anyone see any flaws in this build?

Flashy
2018-01-19, 04:41 PM
Does anyone see any flaws in this build?

Chiefly that this isn’t how the spellbook works. You can’t prepare wizard spells of a level higher than you could cast based only on your wizard levels.

From the SRD multiclass section:

You determine what Spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class. If you are a Ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level Ranger Spells based on your levels in the Ranger class. As 3rd-level Wizard, you know three Wizard Cantrips, and Your Spellbook contains ten Wizard Spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level Spells.

QuintonBeck
2018-01-19, 04:44 PM
Ninja'd but to expand. While you could rules-legally copy high level spells from scrolls into your Wizard Spellbook when you went to prepare your Wizard spells in the morning you'd prepare them as a Level 2 Wizard and thus would be incapable of preparing spells of any level higher than first, even if they were in your book. You don't have the wizardly training to hold high level wizard spells in your head for a day.