PDA

View Full Version : Player Help casting question

Chugger
2018-01-19, 06:19 PM
I get that on my turn I can only cast 1 lvl 1+ spell as an action or b.a. - and that my reaction is not "part of my turn" so I could do say Shield even if I did a lvl 1+ spell earlier that round on my turn.

If I'm a cleric and I channel divinity or use some feature like that - this doesn't count as a spell, from what I understand, even if it acts a lot like a lvl 1+ spell. Like I can Turn Undead and b.a. cast Spir. Weap same round, right?

Let's say I have a magic item like a staff or necklace of prayer beads, and on my action I use it - I haven't cast a spell necessarily - I've used an item...except I used the item to cast a lvl 1+ spell (or have I?). Let's say I use a necklace of prayer beads on my action do cast cure wounds - can I now cast as a b.a. on that turn Spir. Weap?

In other words, does using an item count as that and stop there? Or does the using an item to cast a lvl 1+ spell mean I've cast a lvl 1+ spell and it counts that way? Or is this not clear and up to DMs to decide?

Asmotherion
2018-01-19, 08:00 PM
I get that on my turn I can only cast 1 lvl 1+ spell as an action or b.a. - and that my reaction is not "part of my turn" so I could do say Shield even if I did a lvl 1+ spell earlier that round on my turn.

If I'm a cleric and I channel divinity or use some feature like that - this doesn't count as a spell, from what I understand, even if it acts a lot like a lvl 1+ spell. Like I can Turn Undead and b.a. cast Spir. Weap same round, right?

Let's say I have a magic item like a staff or necklace of prayer beads, and on my action I use it - I haven't cast a spell necessarily - I've used an item...except I used the item to cast a lvl 1+ spell (or have I?). Let's say I use a necklace of prayer beads on my action do cast cure wounds - can I now cast as a b.a. on that turn Spir. Weap?

In other words, does using an item count as that and stop there? Or does the using an item to cast a lvl 1+ spell mean I've cast a lvl 1+ spell and it counts that way? Or is this not clear and up to DMs to decide?

My understanding of the rules is that the limitation applies because "the act of using a spell slot on your turn will make you tired, so all you can cast as a bonus action afterwards is a cantrip, because those are easyer to use". However, using a magic item, you won't touch your own inner reserves of magic (spell slots), instead relying on the item's magic, thus the proccess won't tire you. This means the limitation won't apply, and you can cast normally.

Seeing it by an other perspective, you didn't use the "Cast a spell" action, but instead the "Use an Item" action. How you used the item has nothing to do with it; Practically, the item is the Caster of the spell, not you.

In the end, any DM might rule it an other way, but I think that's the RAI... Not sure, but possibly RAW as well?

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-19, 08:17 PM
If you use an item to cast a spell, you are casting a spell, you're just using an item to do so instead of a spell slot.
All normal rules apply.
If you use an ability which acts like a spell, such as certain Channel Divinity options, it is not casting a spell, unless the ability in question says it is.
Basically, if anything ever says "you cast X spell," then that's exactly what you did, regardless of how you did it or whether that spell came from the item or your own magical reserves. If it says you cast a spell, then you cast a spell, and have to follow all normal rules which then apply.

With regards to Spiritual Weapon, you only cast that once. The later and subsequent bonus action to attack is not casting. You can make that bonus action attack and still cast.

With regards to Shield, as long as it isn't your turn, no restrictions apply, except the one stating that you only have one reaction. If it is your turn, all normal restrictions apply. So if you cast a spell, and then move, provoking an OA, you can't cast Shield.

Chugger
2018-01-19, 10:35 PM
Thank you for the replies.

One is reasoned and expanding my thoughts on the matter, one is ... just kind of throwing what I already know, that it says you (1) use an action that is _not_ casting a spell (it's using an item) to (2) cast a spell.

And that person is telling me that because the words "casting a spell" showed up at all is the trump card that dashes everything else and rules. But it's not that clear to me. Because if the driving element, the ruling thing is more "what do I do with my action" and not at some point down the tree of things does it say casting a spell - then Asmotherion is right.

Div I'm going with Asmo because he reasoned his position. You just kind of went "but RAW - see? My interpretation of RAW - don't you see?" And if that's good enough for you, peace to you. I wish you the best. But that's not enough for me. Don't mean to offend you - just trying to help you see that you're not seeing (or addressing) the full scope of this problem.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-19, 11:13 PM
You can go with whatever you want, but I gave you your answer. And my answer was RAW, when he openly admitted that he doesn't know if his was.
Just because he explained his reasoning, and it aligns with what you want it to be, doesn't mean that it's correct. No offense to Asmo here, but nothing that he typed was correct, with the sole exception of an item casting not using a slot. That was literally the only thing he said that was right.
DMG 141. Read it. Some items allow the user to cast a spell. The user.
You.
You cast the spell.

Proof that using a magic item to cast a spell still counts as you casting it. (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/25/does-casting-a-spell-from-a-scroll-wand-etc-trigger-arcane-ward/)

So go on ahead and read my previous post again, because those are indeed the answers.

Edit
Oh, and for the record, using a magic item is NOT a function of the Use An Item action. Also on pg141 of the DMG.

Asmotherion
2018-01-20, 08:40 AM
You can go with whatever you want, but I gave you your answer. And my answer was RAW, when he openly admitted that he doesn't know if his was.
Just because he explained his reasoning, and it aligns with what you want it to be, doesn't mean that it's correct. No offense to Asmo here, but nothing that he typed was correct, with the sole exception of an item casting not using a slot. That was literally the only thing he said that was right.
DMG 141. Read it. Some items allow the user to cast a spell. The user.
You.
You cast the spell.

Proof that using a magic item to cast a spell still counts as you casting it. (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/25/does-casting-a-spell-from-a-scroll-wand-etc-trigger-arcane-ward/)

So go on ahead and read my previous post again, because those are indeed the answers.

Edit
Oh, and for the record, using a magic item is NOT a function of the Use An Item action. Also on pg141 of the DMG.

If you're looking for a RAW answear, Div is right. He clearly has spent more time understanding the RAW of the DMG than I have.

I still believe my suggested interpretation may stand, in case you're the DM, and you want your world to work that way.

I have been a DM for a long time now, and always went with whatever would give a more interesting story. I generally don't give non-consumable magical items (before level 10), but in the rare cases I do, I make sure to make them unique and count. If you feel that RAW gets in the way of you doing so for one of your players, just ignore it.

RAW is there as a guidline of what is supposed to happen, and help you get a grasp of the general rules and not to dictate to you, the DM what happens to your world.

In a sence, RAW is "physics". and the DM is a Deity who is able to re-write physics to better fit his own world. On the other hand, before he does so, he should get a good grasp of said physics, or he might mess his own world up.

Aaron Underhand
2018-01-20, 08:55 AM
There are many ways of interpreting things - Your DM and their conception of the universe is what counts.

For myself I tend to assume that "casting" withdraws magical energy from the surroundings, and that needs to refill before you can cast again. I maintain the "one spell per turn" limit even with haste and action surge.

So channel divinity has nothing to do with magical energies, but casting a spell counts from items, scrolls, or your own spell slots...

As noted YMMV