PDA

View Full Version : How to round out this party for ToA

Malaketh
2018-01-19, 08:25 PM
Hi forumers!

We will be starting ToA and I was late to the class picking party. Yes I ultimately will play what I want but hear me out on group composition and throw me some ideas on a good 5th.

We have a Cleric going Grave
We have a Rogue going assassin
We have a Wizard going bladesinger
And finally a Revised Ranger going beastmaster

Anything but Bard please....my group makes you sing and well....no
...just.......no

Thanks for any advice

Sigreid
2018-01-19, 08:36 PM
I'd go barbarian, battle master fighter or hexblade. Probably the fighter or hexblade as the barb is tougher but they have more versatile options.

Malaketh
2018-01-19, 08:45 PM
Yes I was thinking Hexblade. Not familiar with Warlocks buy I hear they are good

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-19, 08:49 PM
I suggest wood elf Monk.

mormon_soldier
2018-01-19, 09:17 PM
I'd go Devotion paladin; ToA has lots of undead and an extra healer and an extra tank will do everyone good.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-19, 11:02 PM
Pact of chain celestial warlock.

Super scout, touch spell delivery, bonus action healing that is pretty solid, and stick with eldritch blasts and invocations to amp it and flavor.

Nifty trick, Volo's Assimar have an ability that let's them add some radiant to the damage of the spell. Which would trigger their level 6 Ability to add cha to damage of radiant damaging spells.

Nifft
2018-01-19, 11:12 PM
Warlock
Druid
Paladin / Sorcerer
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD

Biggstick
2018-01-19, 11:47 PM
Definitely another vote for Paladin.

I'm currently in a group with two Paladins for ToA, and it's been great for roleplay, immunity to disease, the ability to cure disease and poison for minimal resources, free intelligent mounts that act as both beasts of burden and amazing scouts, etc, etc.

One of them is a standard Strength based PAM Aasimar Vengeance Paladin, whike I'm playing a Sharpshooting Stout Halfling Devotion Paladin. We complement each other extremely well. He plays as a standard Paladin, while I utilize the buff spells such as Bless, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Magic Weapon, to keep our combats smooth.

Anyways, one of the problems of playing a Paladin in ToA is wearing heavy armor. Medium/heavy armor in the jungle blows, and while my Studded Leather wearing Halfling is fine, the PAM Paladin is hating it. However, whatever route of Paladin you choose, I highly recommend it for ToA, to act as a Face (take Persuasion) and as a support tank for the largely squishy team mates you have.

Malaketh
2018-01-20, 02:15 AM
Definitely another vote for Paladin.

Anyways, one of the problems of playing a Paladin in ToA is wearing heavy armor. Medium/heavy armor in the jungle blows, and while my Studded Leather wearing Halfling is fine, the PAM Paladin is hating it. However, whatever route of Paladin you choose, I highly recommend it for ToA, to act as a Face (take Persuasion) and as a support tank for the largely squishy team mates you have.

One of the things that turned me off Paladin for this campaign was the heavy armor. I guess one could make a dex Paladin, but that just seems to me like a bard that doesn't sing :smalltongue:

Biggstick
2018-01-20, 02:52 AM
One of the things that turned me off Paladin for this campaign was the heavy armor. I guess one could make a dex Paladin, but that just seems to me like a bard that doesn't sing :smalltongue:

How does a Dexterity Paladin seem like a Bard that doesn't sing? Divine Smite is still just as effective on a Dexterity Paladin compared to a Strength one, and the auras work just the same for both types of Paladin.

With the amount of Undead in the campaign, it's great being able to have on demand radiant damage from Divine Smite. On top of that, a Paladin just brings a ton of things to a party that your standard Bard doesn't.

Gardakan
2018-01-20, 05:21 AM
Bringing a Paladin into Tomb of Annihilation can never goes badly. I've run a good amount of modules so far... it's a good investment to do.

Your group has both Arcane and Divine spellcasting covered + the rogue to do damage and the ranger to back it up.

A potent frontlane would be the minimal ''role'' you could fullfill without restraining yourself too much. Many classes would do it.

Paladin / Fighter / Barbarian are potent options.

A Paladin / Fighter could be deadly. The Action Surge capability + divine smiting is fairly easy to do.

seventh_soul
2018-01-20, 11:10 AM
Your party needs a tank, prob paladin for extra healing.

Malaketh
2018-01-20, 03:41 PM
How does a Dexterity Paladin seem like a Bard that doesn't sing? Divine Smite is still just as effective on a Dexterity Paladin compared to a Strength one, and the auras work just the same for both types of Paladin.

With the amount of Undead in the campaign, it's great being able to have on demand radiant damage from Divine Smite. On top of that, a Paladin just brings a ton of things to a party that your standard Bard doesn't.

Sorry, that was said tongue in cheek, as in stereotypes: bards sing, paladins wear heavy armor

Nifft
2018-01-20, 05:18 PM
Your party needs a tank, prob paladin for extra healing.

Barbarian is also a good tank, and with damage resistance the party's healing is potentially doubled.

Temperjoke
2018-01-20, 05:41 PM
Alright, based on what you've given us, your best bet is going to be a front line combat person, someone who can hang in there and take the hits. Since you've said that you don't like the idea of heavy armor (which honestly fits in with the campaign, since it's heavy rainforest jungle terrain, not terribly suitable for heavy armor), that largely leaves the Barbarian class. I know barbarians are stereotyped as unintelligent raging animals, but that doesn't have to be the case! If this is the route you choose, you might want to go with the Ancestral Guardian Barbarian from Xanathar's, it involves using your ancestor's spirits to aid you in various ways during combat and might serve to give your character personal motivation in the campaign.