PDA

View Full Version : Disjunction

Crow
2007-08-25, 12:11 PM
Can you counterspell with Disjunction? It doesn't say specifically in RAW. How would you rule as a DM?

brian c
2007-08-25, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't that be kinda like using a 100 megaton H-bomb as a missile-shield type interception against a SCUD missile? I'm not too well-versed in counterspell rules, but unless it specifically says so then you can't use Disjunction to counterspell the same way you would use Dispel Magic. Disjunction can get rid of area effects with a duration though (I think).

Gralamin
2007-08-25, 12:57 PM
Can you counterspell with Disjunction? It doesn't say specifically in RAW. How would you rule as a DM?

I would rule Disjunction doesn't exist. Players and DM's Both don't like it (Destroy's loot, Destroy's player's equipment).

But as for your question, I do not believe you can.

Starbuck_II
2007-08-25, 01:36 PM

All spells can be counterspelled. So it does say you can in RAW.

But you need to ready an action to cast: Dispel magic/Greater or Disjunction and hope the enemy does the spell.
Same as all Counterspells though.

Douglas
2007-08-25, 02:21 PM
You can, of course, use it as a normal counterspell to counter another Disjunction. You cannot RAW use it as a generic counterspell the way you can with Dispel Magic, however.

Kaelik
2007-08-25, 04:03 PM
All spells can be counterspelled. So it does say you can in RAW.

But you need to ready an action to cast: Dispel magic/Greater or Disjunction and hope the enemy does the spell.
Same as all Counterspells though.

He asked if you can use it to counter spell, not if it can be counterspelled.

When readying a counterspell you can just state that you are readying an action to counterspell person X's casting if you can. By no means do you need to guess what spell they are casting before hand.

brian c
2007-08-25, 05:27 PM
He asked if you can use it to counter spell, not if it can be counterspelled.

When readying a counterspell you can just state that you are readying an action to counterspell person X's casting if you can. By no means do you need to guess what spell they are casting before hand.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#counterspells

It's not that you need to guess what they're casting, you just need to cast the same spell as them, unless

1) You use Dispel Magic as a counterspell

2) There's a specific counterspell besides the spell itself (ie Darkness counters and dispels Light)

3) You have Improved Counterspell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedCounterspell)

At any rate, the answer to this question is still that Disjunction cannot by RAW be used as a catch-all counterspell the way Dispel Magic can; you can only dispel with Disjunction if the other guy is casting Disjunction, or if you have Improved Counterspell and the other guy is casting an 8th level or lower Abjuration spell.

Crow
2007-08-25, 05:47 PM
Ok, that is what I was ruling. Now in the same vein, what about Chain Dispel?

martyboy74
2007-08-25, 06:41 PM
If it says...
This spell functions like dispel magic, except that the maximum caster level on your dispel check is......then you can counterspell with it as described by Dispel Magic (with the obvious caster level differences). Other spells (including Disjunction), which do not include that line of text cannot be used to counterspell.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-25, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't that be kinda like using a 100 megaton H-bomb as a missile-shield type interception against a SCUD missile?

That sounds like insane fun!

Crow
2007-08-25, 09:57 PM
If it says......then you can counterspell with it as described by Dispel Magic (with the obvious caster level differences). Other spells (including Disjunction), which do not include that line of text cannot be used to counterspell.

So then by RAW, Chain Dispel is out.