PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 100% Skill Proficiency

Tiadoppler
2018-01-20, 12:44 AM
Can anybody tell me if it's possible to make a character proficient in all 18 skills before level 7? Preferably without accidentally going over and having 19 trained skills.

My current thoughts

Vuman: 1 skill, 1 feat (skilled): 4 skills
Background: 2 skills

Rogue 1: 4 skills
Rogue 2:
Rogue 3 Scout: Nature and Survival
Rogue 4 feat (skilled): 3 skills
Bard 1: 1 skill
Bard 2: -
Bard 3 Lore: 3 skills

Biggstick
2018-01-20, 12:52 AM
You can't take Skilled twice. PHB, page 165 states you can't take the same feat twice unless the feat specifically says so.

I'm just curious, what reason are you wanting to create a character that has proficiency in all skills? If you're considering picking up Bard at all, that actually devalues their Jack of all Trades ability, by pretty much making it worthless (other then straight skill checks like Initiative or Counterspell). Is there a reason in particular you're trying to figure this out for a game you intend to play, or is it a thought exercise?

suplee215
2018-01-20, 01:31 AM
Vuman: 1 skill, 1 feat (skilled): 4 skills
Background: 2 skills

Rogue 1: 4 skills
Rogue 2:
Rogue 3 Scout: Nature and Survival
Bard 1: 1 skill
Bard 2: -
Bard 3 Lore: 3 skills
Cleric Knowledge: 2 skills

You get 18 skills exactly, you cannot pick Skilled more than once so the level of cleric helps. I am unsure if any of the other cleric domains give you 2 skills but a lot of them give you 1.

Hrugner
2018-01-20, 02:09 AM
If Unearthed Arcana is available, and your DM reads the rules regarding overlapping granted skills as always allowing you to change one of those overlapping granted skills rather than just at character creation.

4 from variant human with skilled
2 background
4 from Rogue 1
4 from warlock 2 with Caiphon's Beacon and beguiling influence
4 from lore bard 3

That's in 6 levels.

unusualsuspect
2018-01-20, 03:22 AM
If UA is allowed and the variant rule is used, you can get there by level 5.

Variant Human with Skilled for +4
Background for +2
Rogue 1 for +4
Mystic 1 for +3 (Order of the Awakened, Psychic Focus on Nomadic Mind)
Bard 1 for +1 (Multiclass)
Warlock 2 for +4 (Caiphon's Beacon and Beguiling Influence)

Or at lvl 6 with:

Variant Human with Skilled for +4
Background for +2
Rogue 3 for +6 (Scout)
Mystic1 for +3 (Order of the Awakened, Psychic Focus on Nomadic Mind)
Bard for +1 (Multiclass)
Cleric for +2 (Knowledge domain)

Which i believe wouldn't require doubling up on skills, and so doesn't rely on the variant rules.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-20, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone!

Darn, I thought for sure Skilled was one feat that could be doubled up.

I love the warlock invocation option! I can't believe I missed that. This is really just a thought exercise. I've been thinking about optimizing for general competence (in and out of combat) and this idea has been bouncing around my brain for a couple days. Alright, level 5 with UA or level 6 without.

2018-01-20, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Darn, I thought for sure Skilled was one feat that could be doubled up.

So far, I don't think there's any feat that can be taken more than once. Not even Resilient has the note necessary to allow it.

Also, if it helps, you could Use Cleric 1 (Knowledge) to pick up two skills at expertise-level. Better for an all-skills build if you're past lvl 6, since it gets you higher bonuses. Definitely not as fast as rogue, bard, or warlock though.

Naanomi
2018-01-20, 02:54 PM
So far, I don't think there's any feat that can be taken more than once. Not even Resilient has the note necessary to allow it.

Elemental Adept: You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you do so, you must choose a different damage type.

bid
2018-01-20, 07:58 PM
If Unearthed Arcana is available, and your DM reads the rules regarding overlapping granted skills as always allowing you to change one of those overlapping granted skills rather than just at character creation.

4 from variant human with skilled
2 background
4 from Rogue 1
4 from warlock 2 with Caiphon's Beacon and beguiling influence
4 from lore bard 3

That's in 6 levels.
And also the easiest, since you only need Dex13 / Cha13.

Also:
- half-elf rogue 1 = 8
- lore bard 4 (skilled feat) = +1+3+3
- warlock 2 (beguiling / caiphon) = +4
Which is 18 skills and an extra tool.

Daithi
2018-01-20, 11:41 PM
I like Mystic1 with Nomadic Mind --- you can only use one skill at a time anyway and this gives any skill, tool, or language proficiency you want, and it is changeable per turn. Add Rogue1 and get expertise in 2 skills of your choice. Since you have all the skills, instead of adding the Skills feat, go for the Observant feat instead and get +5 to the perception and investigation skills.

Lonely Tylenol
2018-01-21, 03:45 AM
If you want to maximize expertise as well, you want to incorporate Human Scout Rogue 6, Lore Bard 10, and Knowledge Cleric 1 with the Prodigy feat, which nets you 11 Expertise in a pretty straightforward fashion. Unless UA is allowed, in which case you want to be a Half-Elf to grab Everybody’s Friend (which also gives you Elven Accuracy, if you use a Warlock 2 dip to get Beguiling Influence, which also single-handedly makes you combat relevant).

Tiadoppler
2018-01-21, 09:58 AM
Right now I'm thinking

Rogue (Scout) 12/Bard (Lore) 4/Warlock () 4

Proficient in all skills (with 8 expertises) + Reliable Talent...

All proficiencies by level 8
At level 16 (rogue 11), you can no longer fail DC 15 checks in any skill.