PDA

View Full Version : Faerun (For The First Time)

Fax Celestis
2007-08-25, 12:57 PM
So I'm going to be starting a game in Faerun, tabletop. This'll be my first time actually running something in Faerun, since I tend to stick with homebrewed settings--but this time I feel like something different.

I'm planning on a very "Mission Impossible" style game, with a specific focus on theft, assassination, moral ambiguity, social interaction, and Indiana-Jonesing. What would be a good region (up to and including locations outside of the FRCS) for this?

Talya
2007-08-25, 12:58 PM
So I'm going to be starting a game in Faerun, tabletop. This'll be my first time actually running something in Faerun, since I tend to stick with homebrewed settings--but this time I feel like something different.

I'm planning on a very "Mission Impossible" style game, with a specific focus on theft, assassination, moral ambiguity, social interaction, and Indiana-Jonesing. What would be a good region (up to and including locations outside of the FRCS) for this?

Calimshan and the shining sea is perfect for what you describe.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-25, 01:01 PM
Calimshan and the shining sea is perfect for what you describe.

Even as a part of a larger "Thieves' Network," if you will?

Attilargh
2007-08-25, 01:06 PM
Well, there used to be a Guild in Calimport until Drizzt and Co. came and killed the lot. After that another one was formed, but it was taken over by Bregan D'aerthe. I think they're still there.

For some outdated info, check out the 2nd Ed. supplement Calimport (http://wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9589.zip) and anything else you can grasp from here (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads).

If you'd prefer less desert-y regions, you might try Amn and its capital Athkatla. I believe the Shadow Thieves are quite the movers down there. (And no-one spoil the plot of Baldur's Gate II for me, okay?)

Talya
2007-08-25, 01:06 PM
Even as a part of a larger "Thieves' Network," if you will?

Calimport is the home of Artemis Entreri (a character with less personality has never had so much written about him) and the many thieves guilds he's either been a member of, or slaughtered wholesale. The area has a very "Arabic" feel, with opposing good and evil religions all having strong influence...and parity. There is opportunity for high-seas hijinx if you want it...but it's not necessary as there is plenty to do on land. The slave trade is alive and well, archaelogy is rampant (Calimport is the oldest surviving nation in Faerun) ...and the really big bad evil guys in the region are the type most people never use in their campaigns. Everyone wants to use devils, demons, and dragons....but they always forget Efreeti, Djinn, Marid and Dao.

Captain van der Decken
2007-08-25, 01:16 PM
Waterdeep could be quite good, by virtue of being utterly huge. Calimport and Athkatala are good suggestions as well.

Rex Blunder
2007-08-25, 01:20 PM
I haven't played it, but ebberon also sounds like a good setting for what you're proposing. Moral ambiguity (reduced alignment importance) check; indiana jonesy (pulp adventure feel) check; lowlevel magic, thus reducing the prevalence of high-level divination spells which would screw up theft and assassination, check.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-25, 01:24 PM
I haven't played it, but ebberon also sounds like a good setting for what you're proposing. Moral ambiguity (reduced alignment importance) check; indiana jonesy (pulp adventure feel) check; lowlevel magic, thus reducing the prevalence of high-level divination spells which would screw up theft and assassination, check.

The difference between Eberron and Faerun in this case is that I own the FRCS. I do not own the EbCS.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-08-25, 01:35 PM
I'd also advise not to overlook Cormyr as a possibility, due simply to the fact that the place is at a severe low due to various wars, conflicts with powerful beings, king's death, etc. It has a notable population of nobles who would be glad to scramble for the throne, and Sembia nearby would be willing to stage a takeover if the opportunity presented itself.

For that matter, Sembia itself would be a good place for what you're talking about. And never discount the classics: the Moonsea (read: Zhentil Keep) and Thay are the traditional "bad zones" of Faerun.

I've only read a few books on it and never really used it myself, but I think Tethyr may also be worth looking into.

Talya
2007-08-25, 01:42 PM
If you want your campaign to have something of an "epic" feel to it (not epic levels, I mean epic in the sense of grand plots that span events thousands of years older than your characters), you might want to look at "Lost Empires of Faerun." It goes into many of the ancient faerun empires that are now, well, lost. They all, of course, are near current cities and towns. Calimshan is the lone exception. it's dealt with for a few pages in the book, because much....perhaps most...of the old empires of Calim, Memnon and Ahjuu are lost, but the cities and cultures live on. Even if you're going into other areas, the book can add a lot of background for you.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-25, 07:01 PM
LEoF was a good call. I'll probably make some heavy use of it.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-25, 07:49 PM
What timeframe?

If you do it back in 1358 your PCs can experience the Time of Troubles.

Waterdeep (Hidden Lords of Waterdeep, 70 Noble Families, Various Factions), Amn, Calimshan, Cormyr, Silverymoon, Cormanthor (Basically the Dales with the elf factions (Drow and Human haters) Shou Lung or Zakhara could all work. Plus there is the City of Shade for plenty of intrigue based on an old empire setting.

There is the Sheep's Setting pdf adventure for a ruler's court at Wizard's in the adventure download section for free.

The previous editions section has lots of fluff from the older settings things like Calimport and Lands of Intrigue, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, the City of Raven's Bluff, Cult of the Dragon.

BardicDuelist
2007-08-26, 02:52 AM
Just an idea (though you probably have plenty of your own), using the Harpers for this type of campaign would be interesting, or using Blackstaff's faction for a morally ambigious take on it.

AslanCross
2007-08-26, 04:26 AM
Waterdeep and its sinister side Skullport sound good for this.
While Cormyr is pretty messed up at the moment, I'd think that campaigns here will still tend to have black and white morality due to the sinister presence of the Shadovar and Zhentarim on the horizon. If you want some moral ambiguity your campaign might involve overthrowing the current royal family and supporting some uppity nobles. They aren't really happy with the Princess Regent in general. (ie, overthrowing the current government in order to gear up for a fight with a greater evil, which may involve the Shadovar or Zhentarim)
Amn, Calimshan and the other "lands of intrigue" are definitely good for this.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-26, 01:22 PM
Just an idea (though you probably have plenty of your own), using the Harpers for this type of campaign would be interesting, or using Blackstaff's faction for a morally ambigious take on it.

Actually, I'm planning on putting the Blind Tower (from CScn) in the Spider Swamp in Calimshan and using that.