PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Battle Mystic (3.5 Base Class)

gooddragon1
2018-01-20, 08:50 AM
Deleted content

Amechra
2018-01-20, 01:58 PM
Mystic Energy is worded oddly - how about:

Divine Mystic (Ex): A battle mystic may use magic items as a cleric of their level. If he has levels in the cleric class, actual cleric levels and this effective cleric level stack.

Mystic Energy (Su): At 1st level, a battle mystic can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to his class level x his Charisma bonus (minimum 1). A battle mystic may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn't have to use it all at once. Using mystic energy is a standard action.

At 6th level, a battle mystic doubles the total number of hit points of damage he may heal each day. At 12th level and every 6 levels thereafter, he also doubles his class level for the purposes of this class feature.

Mysticism (Su): A battle mystic of at least 2nd level may channel healing from this pool to cast a spell from the cleric list, using his Charisma modifier to determine the saving throw DC and his battle mystic level as his caster level. To do so, he must expend 2 points of healing per level of the spell (minimum 1), and cannot expend more than 1 point per class level in this way for a single spell. He may apply metamagic to the spell as if it were cast spontaneously.

At 10th level and every three levels thereafter, a battle mystic may use Mysticism an additional time per day.

Rapid Energy (Ex): At 4th level, a battle mystic may use their mystic energy class feature on themselves as a swift action.

---

I split it into four class features, since Mystic Energy was doing way too much. Oh, and I dropped the cost for orisons to 1, since most things that check spell level treat orisons as being Level ½.

As for the scaling... I threw it in, but I think it's jankier than it needs to be. You're going to be spending a maximum of 90 points on your spells, and using it for healing is kind of a joke. I would personally just double the initial amount, and then come up with something else for 6th, 12th, and 18th levels.

Amechra
2018-01-20, 06:11 PM
Did multiclassing beat up your parents or something? Seriously, Melee Blast (which feels pretty off now, since it's no longer mechanically connected to Blast Foes) and Force of Presence don't need a clause capping them.

To clarify my hostility - when you're designing your class, you want people to stick around and take more levels. There are two ways to handle this - I call them the stick and the carrot.

The "trap" is when you punish people for leaving your class early, usually through capping bonuses and restricting usage. Force of Presence is a classic example - it's a terrible ribbon feature unless you take a bunch of levels in battle mystic, at which point it becomes pretty good. You are effectively giving someone a feature and then telling them that they can't use it effectively without a bunch of levels in your class. It's a feel-bad kind of thing.

The "carrot" is when you tempt people to stay in your class by sticking cool class features in at higher levels - yeah, you could take a one-level dip into Paladin, but wouldn't you rather stick around for Divine Grace? Or, hey, you could take a level or two in Factotum, but 3rd level will net you +Int to a bunch of things, including initiative, which is pretty nice. And why leave when 8th level will net you bonus actions?

I personally vastly prefer the carrot to the stick - it feels better for the player, it gives me more room to design big splashy class features that couldn't show up at 1st level, and it prevents classes from being too front-loaded.

Additionally:

1) The current version of Melee Blast is very weak. Even without the weird anti-multiclassing clause, it's going to be +1d6 to damage until 12th level. Sure, it isn't conditional or precision damage (which is a point in its favor), but that's not enough to upgrade it past a cute trick. Adding +cha to your damage would at least scale.

2) Blast Foes is a mildly upgraded Eldritch Blast with all of the neat upgrades you'd get out of Blast Shapes and Eldritch Essences stripped out. And Eldritch Blast wasn't really all that good to start with - having an average of 31.5 damage at 20th level is absolute garbage, even if you're dealing it in a cone.

3) Speaking of being front-loaded, you get five class features at 1st level, and you have literally no non-upgrades past 2nd level. Spread the love out, my friend.

noob
2018-01-21, 01:45 PM
Maybe splitting the capstone in two abilities you get at level 20 would make it more readable.