PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build a character for Ironfang Invasion

MindTheGap97
2018-01-20, 10:28 AM
Hello everyone, we are starting the Ironfang Invasion AP, I'd really like to play a frontliner this time around, still haven't decided on the actual class though, so I thought I would ask here, the options I've considered so far are:

-Cavalier (Green Knight archetype), seems like a pretty thematic choice for the campaign, I'm not too sure about it tho, is not being able to challenge animals or plants a big deal in this campaign?

-Fighter (Mutation Warrior/Eldritch Guardian), looks like a solid combination, refluffing the mutagens as herbal concotions to give it a more natury feel, probably going to dip Brawler somewhere down the line, he would lack the wilderness themed abilities though, is that a big hinder or just a minor nuisance, Jungle Boots would allow me to ignore natural undergrowth, which is the biggest nuisance, Dragon Style would allow to charge through difficult terrain too, seems like a solid character build to me.

-Ranger (maybe Trapper, dunno) kind of a boring choice, probably effective tho.

-Barbarian (probably Untamed Rager or Jungle Rager) Barbarian is usually an effective character, great HP, good damage and rage powers to boot, but my last frontliner was a barbarian too

I'd like a thematically and mechanically sound character for this game as we're just 3 players instead of the usual 5, maybe someone will tag in later on but there is no certainity about it.

The rest of the party is composed of a Nature Oracle and a Verdant Sorcerer for now, all I know is that the Sorc will be focused mostly on Battlefield Control.

Florian
2018-01-20, 03:30 PM
Hm.. What gives you the impression that this AP has anything to do with "nature", just because it starts in a forest realm? (It won't stay there...)

Green Knight is a ... suboptimal... choice because fey, nature and animals play a bigger role later along the story, so skip that.

For reasons, what you want is a dwarf and base it on Ranger 2/Fighter (Foehammer) 1+, Improved Shield Bash, TWF. You will want to have a non-L-or-E-alignment at one point, +5 BAB and each 5 ranks in Stealth and Survival and grab the opportunity when it comes up, you'll know why.

Edit: Forget about that, but Dwarves Hatred Style is your friend.

Jackalias
2018-01-20, 04:16 PM
A good alternative to the barbarian would be a primalist bloodrager. (Maybe with the greenrager archtype, I'm not familiar with it.)

Vertharrad
2018-01-20, 04:28 PM
Have you considered a Stalker? Sounds like it should meet your needs.

MindTheGap97
2018-01-20, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will read through all your suggestions, getting a look at Dwarven Hatred style, the Bloodrager archetype and the Stalker, I'll update you once I'm done.

Cheers

Florian
2018-01-21, 05:50 AM
-Ranger (maybe Trapper, dunno) kind of a boring choice, probably effective tho.

-Barbarian (probably Untamed Rager or Jungle Rager) Barbarian is usually an effective character, great HP, good damage and rage powers to boot, but my last frontliner was a barbarian too

Forgot to comment that yesterday. Ranger is the "easy mode" for this AP, especially when you know what Fav.Enemy and Fav.Terrain to expect and roughly at what level. I'm not really a fan of the Trapper archetype, especially when playing an AP and in a small group, as you'll want to have Instant Enemy at hand all the time, as well as the means to heal up your main healer should that go down.

Thanks for all the advice, I will read through all your suggestions, getting a look at Dwarven Hatred style, the Bloodrager archetype and the Stalker, I'll update you once I'm done.

Look up the player guide to this AP, if you didn't do that already. Notice that there's one dwarf-only campaign trait?

Edit: This AP features a custom Prestige Class with a quirk: It gains the Aligned Class feature every other level, so over the course of 10 PrC levels, you advance the base class you started from by 5 levels, meaning when you start with, say, Fighter 5, you'll end up with an effective Fighter 10 when finishing the PrC at level 15. This is something to keep in mind when building for this AP and should be discussed with the gm beforehand.

Eldonauran
2018-01-21, 01:04 PM
I'm going to be running an Ironfang Invasion game shortly after my group finishes up Iron Gods (last book!). I can only tell you what I would like to see, or hope to see, from the players in my group. I want to see well rounded characters that reflect the choices normal folk would make living in a small village like this. Nature/rural themed classes and backgrounds.

I am actually considering starting off everyone as a level 2 commoner, expert, adept, or warrior (NPC classes) and allowing them to retrain those levels as they earn enough experience to level up normally. I really want them to experience the introduction to this campaign as a normal person would, not as seasoned adventurers (if newbies at that).

Anyway, I'd suggest for you something that can fill the role of front liner, that comes with a flanking buddy, and has some potential for dealing with traps. Ranger is good. I'd suggest (as a do so waaaay to often) a Nature Fang Druid.

MindTheGap97
2018-01-21, 06:10 PM
I'm going to be running an Ironfang Invasion game shortly after my group finishes up Iron Gods (last book!). I can only tell you what I would like to see, or hope to see, from the players in my group. I want to see well rounded characters that reflect the choices normal folk would make living in a small village like this. Nature/rural themed classes and backgrounds.

I am actually considering starting off everyone as a level 2 commoner, expert, adept, or warrior (NPC classes) and allowing them to retrain those levels as they earn enough experience to level up normally. I really want them to experience the introduction to this campaign as a normal person would, not as seasoned adventurers (if newbies at that).

Anyway, I'd suggest for you something that can fill the role of front liner, that comes with a flanking buddy, and has some potential for dealing with traps. Ranger is good. I'd suggest (as a do so waaaay to often) a Nature Fang Druid.

The suggestion about starting with NPC classes sounds really cool, I'll try to ask my DM about it.
I'll also take a look at that druid archetype