PDA

View Full Version : Gestalting Question

Guari
2018-01-20, 01:00 PM
I have a Monk (enlightened from Dreamscarred Press) and a Swordsage. Just starting out and I figure that their AC Bonus abilities wouldn't stack...

But when I read them, they are slightly different. Is there a precedent for them stacking? or would it need to be from a different named ability for the two to stack or use different stats to stack?

Haven't had this discussion with my DM yet, wanted to do a little research before I approach the topic.

Enlightened Monk Class ability:

AC Bonus (Ex):When unarmored and unencumbered, the enlightened monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, an enlightened monk gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five enlightened monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level). These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the enlightened monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she wields a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Swordsage Class ability:

AC Bonus: Starting at 2nd level, you can add your Wisdom modifier as a bonus to Armor Class, so long as you wear light armor, are unencumbered, and do not use a shield.
This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when you are flat-footed. However, you lose this bonus when you are immobilized or helpless.

TL:DR; Do the two quoted abilities stack for a gestalted character?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-01-20, 01:03 PM
They're both named AC Bonus, so despite the differences in the ability descriptions, multiple untyped bonuses from the same source will never stack. RAW and officially from WotC, multiple "AC Bonus" class features from different classes do not stack.

EliDupree
2018-01-20, 01:10 PM
Would it make a difference whether it stacked? RAW, it looks like one only applies when you don't wear any armor, while the other only applies when you wear light armor.

Guari
2018-01-20, 01:19 PM
They're both named AC Bonus, so despite the differences in the ability descriptions, multiple untyped bonuses from the same source will never stack. RAW and officially from WotC, multiple "AC Bonus" class features from different classes do not stack.

That's what I thought, but I figured I'd double check.

Would it make a difference whether it stacked? RAW, it looks like one only applies when you don't wear any armor, while the other only applies when you wear light armor.

I mean if i can get my Wisdom mod twice in my AC... Yes please. At this point, i'm running around with no armor and using Inertial armor, (playing an Githzerai because I can)

I guess I could find some super light armor to wear for a bit until the Monk AC Bonus out weighs the SS AC bonus... *strokes beard*

Troacctid
2018-01-20, 02:03 PM
They're mutually exclusive. The one requires you to be unarmored, while the other requires you to wear light armor. As such, regardless of stacking rules, there's no way to have both abilities turned on at the same time.