PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimizing a "Hand" Wizard

Kvard51
2018-01-20, 04:20 PM
I've had an idea floating around for a bit, one I'm sure isn't really going to fit any optimizer blueprints, but one I think would be fun to play.

I'd like to play as a wizard who focuses on the "Hand" spells. But, I want him to be optimized enough to not become a hinderance to the party. So that's what I'm asking.

How would you go about building the best "Hand" Wizard (or Sorcerer, I guess) you could build, mechanically?

Florian
2018-01-20, 04:41 PM
1) Combine "hand"-type spells mit meta magic that has a "shut down" effect, like Dazing Spell.
2) Push CL as far as it can go, else "hand" spells will lose effect.

So basically, Arcane bloodline Sorcerer. Advanced option would be a Fetchling Blood Arcanist (Arcane) and do it via Shadow Evocation.

Scots Dragon
2018-01-20, 05:33 PM
You should probably play it as a wizard with the Universalist school ('Hand of the Apprentice', natch), and name them something that sounds similar to 'Bigby'.

Lean into battlefield control and strategic spellcasting as an obvious extension of what the Hand spells generally do, probably with the use of the various crowd control metamagic feats for spells outside of the hand line.

Kvard51
2018-01-20, 05:46 PM
You should probably play it as a wizard with the Universalist school ('Hand of the Apprentice', natch), and name them something that sounds similar to 'Bigby'.

Lean into battlefield control and strategic spellcasting as an obvious extension of what the Hand spells generally do, probably with the use of the various crowd control metamagic feats for spells outside of the hand line.

Yes, hadn't considered Universalist. Was leaning towards Aethyr elemental school. I like that thought.

Geddy2112
2018-01-21, 01:44 PM
You could cast a lot of touch spells, and then have them delivered via spectral hand.

Coppertop
2018-01-21, 11:52 PM
If you want to lean extra hard into the hand motif, consider the Possessed Hand line of feats.

It's a steep feat tax, but after three feats you end up with a detachable hand that can act as your familiar. It's another flavorful way to deliver touch spells.

Ramza00
2018-01-22, 12:12 AM
Bonus points if you model the wizard after this mage.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/755/22197537.jpg