PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Making Combat More Fun: Two Steps Further than Greyhawk Initiative

demonslayerelf
2018-01-20, 04:30 PM
Hello all, I've been working on a thing for a while. Still working on it, but I figured it's worth putting out there for feedback by now.

This makes combat much more complicated, yes, but also more satisfying, I think. Anyway, here's the rundown.

Combat happens in 7 phases, which are as follows; Planning Phase, Movement Phase I, Combat Phase I, Spell Phase, Combat Phase II, Movement Phase II, and ending with the Recovery Phase.
It seems pretty complicated, but the 10 second version is; Decide what to do, move, physical combat, magical combat, physical combat again, remaining movement, recover. Everybody performs each phase together, not one at a time; Initiative only exists when there is a tie, which will be explained in each phase.

Additionally, there are now "Abort" actions; You can throw out your plans at any time to do something else. Generally speaking, creatures may "Abort" to take attack action on any phase but Movement or Combat Phase I, sacrificing everything else they would do during the turn, other than move. A creature can't Abort after taking their actions. Certain class features will be changed to allow creatures to "Abort" to other actions.

Outside of those clarifications, it comes down to what happens on individual phases;
Nothing happens during Planning, but this is when characters will decide what to do; The character decides now to do things like enter a rage, or attack, or cast a spell.
Movement can be decided in the moment phases, without need for planning, and creatures may choose whether to attack during Combat Phase I, Combat Phase II, or to separate their attacks between them. Off-hand attacks(Or similar things) always happen during Combat II.

The creature's plans are announced openly, in order from the creature with the lowest intelligence+dexterity score, to the highest dexterity+intelligence score, with faster characters able to plan around the slower characters' plans. If there is a tie, they announce their plans together, and may not react to one-another's plans.

During these phases, every creature moves upto their movement speed. The creature may choose how much of their movement to use in phase 1, and may then use the rest later. A creature choosing to Dash may use the additional movement during the second phase exclusively.

Creatures move in order of creatures with the lowest dexterity score, to the highest dexterity score, again with faster characters able to react to slower character's movement. If there is a tie, they move at the same time, and might trip eachother up. If two characters are attempting to move through the same space, they make contested strength checks, with the losing creature losing 5 feet of movement, or are knocked prone, if this would reduce their movement to or below 0.

During these phases, creatures making weapon attacks make their attacks. The number of attacks made in each phase are decided during planning phase.

Attacks happen in order of the weapon's damage dice. Each attacking creature attacking rolls the damage of the weapon, then subtracts their dexterity modifier. The creatures with the smallest number attack first, with creatures with higher numbers attack later. If creatures possess the same number, the attacks happen at the same time, taking effect simultaneously. If a creature possesses multiple attacks, they roll this number for each attack. Alternatively, they may sacrifice any number of them, lowering their number by 1 for each attack sacrificed.

If creatures are attacking in both phases, they roll separately for each phase. If a creature is using two separate weapons in the same phase, roll the appropriate die for each attack with each weapon.

All spells are cast during this phase. The spell is decided during the planning phase.

Spells are cast in order of the spell's level; Cantrips are cast first, followed by 1st level spells, and so on. Creatures casting the same level of spell make a spellcasting check, with the higher check taking effect first. If this check also ties, they happen at the same time, taking effect simultaneously.

Nothing happens normally during this phase. It is a moment where the characters take a breath, and transition to the next moment. Spells which allow an effect or saving throw at the end of a creature's turn now take effect during this phase.

It's a little rough right now, but I hope y'all enjoy it. Feedback is always appreciated.