PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5e feats and items for a new player PC LV 5 Beguiler

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-21, 09:26 AM
Hello guys :)

I am looking for items feats and a spell from advance learning for a new player PC(I do feel weird because this is two "player"s in a row).

LV 5 Dark, Fire Elf Beguiler

I don't play casters a lot so I don't know what to choose.

I want to give her +1 Mithral Breastplate and items with 10,000gp(the armor isn't a part of the 10,000 gp)

I was thinking about a +2 int item and I don't really know what more.

I don't know with feat to give her because I don't want to confuse her.
(maybe 2 more from flaws but I need to see if she want to take flaws).

I also don't know which spell she should get from Advance Learning.

All 3.5e
I am the GM so I can allow stuff out of 3.5e

The party is:
Half-Minotaur Fighter 3/ Barbarian 2(A regular Charger(not UberCharger))
Draconic Elan Erudit 5(Blasting and little BFC)
Draconic Tabbit Dragonfire Adept 3/ cleric 1/ Eldritch Disciple 1(BFC) (I allow some cheese so it is possible)

Darrin
2018-01-21, 01:34 PM
LV 5 Dark, Fire Elf Beguiler

Dark fire elf. That is awesome.

I was thinking about a +2 int item and I don't really know what more.

Head: Hat of Disguise (1800 GP, DMG)
Face: Third Eye Freedom (2600 GP, MIC)
Throat: Chronocharm of the Grand Master and/or Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC)
Shoulders: Cloak of Elemental Protection and/or Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 GP, MIC/DMG)
Arms: Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC).
Hands: Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC).
Ring#1: Ring of Protection +1 (2000 GP, DMG)
Ring#2: Ring of the Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC)
Torso: Dispelling Cord (1000 GP, MIC)
Waist: Healing Belt (750 GP, MIC)
Feet: Anklet of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC)

I don't know with feat to give her because I don't want to confuse her.
(maybe 2 more from flaws but I need to see if she want to take flaws).

I also don't know which spell she should get from Advance Learning.

Hmm. How about:

Tasha's hideous laughter (Core) is a pretty good shutdown spell.
Dark way (SC) provides some BFC.
Ray of stupidity (SC) is kinda situational.

Covenant12
2018-01-21, 04:16 PM
+1 Mithril Buckler (DMG, 2020 or so) 2 AC, no skill/to-hit penalty, no ASF
If that half-minotaur (you never specified a base race) qualifies as humanoid still,
Eternal wand of Enlarge Person (MIC, 840?) will make him her best friend quick.
Masterwork Longbow to contribute in easy fights never hurts.
Nothing wrong with a +2 int headband, as you said.

Boots and Cloak of elvenkind (DMG, 2500 each) would be good, but combining with Darrin's suggestions far too expensive.
Might look for those over the next 2-3 levels.

Feats hard to say. Something simple like Spell Focus never hurts. Shadow Weave Magic if you are ok with mildly evilish and reworking the lore. Darkstalker maybe to use the Dark template effectively.

Even if you sharply limit or ban mindsight, mindbender 1 for 100' telepathy is great (especially for a very stealthy scout), and it delays advanced learning so its a 4th level spell not 3rd. So you might check that she has the skill ranks for it.

DEMON
2018-01-21, 04:52 PM
Feats

When it comes to feats, I like Versatile Spellcaster and Darkstalker.
Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar later down the road is also an interesting option, if you're fine with having an additional character to take care of.
Arcane Preparation is good if you're thinking about the Mage of the Arcane Order PrC.

Equipment

+1 to Gloves of the Starry Sky suggested by Darrin. Some sort of custom Runestaff (MIC) might be handy. I'm also a big fan of the Rod of Shadowblending (CM), but that is a bit too expensive at this point (9000 gp). A Shadow Cloak (DotU) is also nice, if not the cheapest thing out there (5500 gp).

Spells

Tasha's hideous laughter (Core) is a pretty good shutdown spell.
Dark way (SC) provides some BFC.
Ray of stupidity (SC) is kinda situational.

Those are all second level spells. The 1st Advanced Learning is gained at level 3, when you can only cast 1st level spells.
Also, Ray of Stupidity is very strong as it one-shots opponents with animal-level intelligence. Might lead to a very annoyed DM, or even other players.

I suggest Distract Assailant (SpC) or Friendly Face (RoD).

Darrin
2018-01-21, 07:22 PM
Those are all second level spells. The 1st Advanced Learning is gained at level 3, when you can only cast 1st level spells.
Also, Ray of Stupidity is very strong as it one-shots opponents with animal-level intelligence. Might lead to a very annoyed DM, or even other players.

I suggest Distract Assailant (SpC) or Friendly Face (RoD).

Whoops. For some reason I thought Beguilers get 2nd level spells at 3rd. In that case, I like instant diversion (Races of the Dragon) or fengut (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a). There's also power word pain (Races of the Dragon), but that's an overpowered spell for 1st level. If you allow it at all, it might work better as a 2nd level spell.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-22, 04:38 AM
Cut
Thank you for the items and the spells.

Cut
This look like good loot to give them and the feats looks good.
Thank you.

Cut

Thank you for the feats, spells amd items.

Gnaeus
2018-01-22, 06:44 AM
You want to plan how you are going to expand your spell list. The easiest ways are prestige classes and feats.

If PRCs, look at shadowcraft Mage, rainbow serpent (high power) or sandshaper or fiend blooded (lower power) and be taking the feats they need as prereqs.

If feats, find a god that has a couple of domains full of spells that aren’t on your list (I like travel or summoning but there’s lots of options) and prepare to take Arcane Disciple as soon as possible (I think at 6 without cheesing skill ranks somehow)

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-22, 08:52 AM
You want to plan how you are going to expand your spell list. The easiest ways are prestige classes and feats.

If PRCs, look at shadowcraft Mage, rainbow serpent (high power) or sandshaper or fiend blooded (lower power) and be taking the feats they need as prereqs.

If feats, find a god that has a couple of domains full of spells that aren’t on your list (I like travel or summoning but there’s lots of options) and prepare to take Arcane Disciple as soon as possible (I think at 6 without cheesing skill ranks somehow)

This is a PC for a new player, the fact that I am trying not to confuse her should show that more options will be bad.

The reason for taking Beguiler is the fact that it's simple with being spontaneous caster with a fixed spell list.

As the GM I will make sure she have stuff to do with her spell list and the Erudite+DFA/Cleric should take care of the rest.

Darrin
2018-01-22, 12:39 PM
I was also going to suggest Arcane Disciple along with a Reserve feat, but to keep things simple it would probably need to be a pretty blasty domain. Looking through the various domains... the Fire domain might work best, and fits in with the subrace. Maybe take Arcane Disciple at 3rd (fudging or ignoring the Know:Religion requirement) and Fiery Burst at 6th. "When in doubt, set it on fire."

Mithral breastplate +1 is good, but you could refluff it as firebrass, which has the exact same properties as mithral but looks much more badass. To make it more distinctive and add a little flavor, I'd also put a 1st-level 1/day spell effect on there, like endure elements or wall of smoke.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-22, 01:51 PM
I was also going to suggest Arcane Disciple along with a Reserve feat, but to keep things simple it would probably need to be a pretty blasty domain. Looking through the various domains... the Fire domain might work best, and fits in with the subrace. Maybe take Arcane Disciple at 3rd (fudging or ignoring the Know:Religion requirement) and Fiery Burst at 6th. "When in doubt, set it on fire."

Mithral breastplate +1 is good, but you could refluff it as firebrass, which has the exact same properties as mithral but looks much more badass. To make it more distinctive and add a little flavor, I'd also put a 1st-level 1/day spell effect on there, like endure elements or wall of smoke.

I don't think I can find the K:R requirement with my GM eyes ;) the "set it on fire" look great.

But I can't find Firebrass, do you know the source?

Anyway, the armor spell/day look really good.

Darrin
2018-01-22, 02:20 PM
But I can't find Firebrass, do you know the source?

Oops, sorry. Secrets of Xendrik p. 147.

Anyway, the armor spell/day look really good.

Adding a 1st-level spell as a 1/day spell effect is a good way to make a magic item feel unique and distinctive without inflating the cost a lot (costs around 360-400 GP for 1/day). Some examples:

Endure elements, delay disease, and healthful rest last 24 hours. First is core, the other two are in the Spell Compendium.
Enlarge person for 10 rounds a day is a great buff for meatbag builds.
Protection from evil for 10 rounds could be pretty darned useful against evil outsiders and undead.
Benign transposition (Spell Compendium) or protective interposition (Forge of War, 400 GP) for oh so many tactical possibilities.
Fist of stone (Spell Compendium) gets you +6 Str bonus and a slam attack for 10 rounds.
Ice slick (Frostburn) or impeding stones (Cityscape) for some BFC.
Lesser vigor (Spell Compendium) to heal 11 HP every day.
Ray of resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun) restores Str damage and removes fatigue.
Vigilant slumber (Complete Mage) for additional security.
Wall of smoke (Spell Compendium) for concealment/BFC/debuffing.
Weapon shift (Spell Compendium) to turn your greatsword into a guisarme, spiked chain, longspear, mancatcher, etc. for 10 rounds.

Palanan
2018-01-22, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin
I like instant diversion (Races of the Dragon) or fengut.

That has got to be one of the most obscure spells in all of 3.5. At least I’ve never heard of it before.

Darrin
2018-01-23, 06:09 AM
That has got to be one of the most obscure spells in all of 3.5. At least I’ve never heard of it before.

Yeah... there are not a lot of illusion spells with Fort saves. Some other contenders for "most obscure spell": fetid breath (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a) and lesser fireball (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020227a).