PDA

View Full Version : Spending stolen gold from a church, not on my character?

RaijinKnight
2018-01-21, 10:13 AM
We recently came to a town, with the church of a certain retributive saint. My character's parents were slaughtered by inquisitors, so he strongly dislikes religion.

Que the party scaring the priest into believing we are an avatar / representative of said saint, discovering the church's live savings and fighting animated church benches.

The party decided to leave the savings (52k gold) alone, seeing as the whole god of retribution part.

Well... My character was left alone. We knew how to access to money, so using unseen servants, a noxious smokestick and other shenanigans, I now have 52k gold.

Any ideas on what to do with it? I don't think my character would use it for personal gain, and I don't want to do something boring like distributing it to the poor.

More about my Character - Orphaned due to inquisitors killing parents (another religion, but strong dislike for religion across the board). Wants to bring about a technological revolution to the world (I'm an artificer).

Dislikes spiders and bugbear zombies, and is chaotic neutral. Also, I am level 4. So 52k gold is tempting... But I think taking it would be a golden opportunity for my DM to release some wrath upon us. Also doubt I'll be able to hide it from the party.

DeTess
2018-01-21, 11:09 AM
We recently came to a town, with the church of a certain retributive saint. My character's parents were slaughtered by inquisitors, so he strongly dislikes religion.

Que the party scaring the priest into believing we are an avatar / representative of said saint, discovering the church's live savings and fighting animated church benches.

The party decided to leave the savings (52k gold) alone, seeing as the whole god of retribution part.

Well... My character was left alone. We knew how to access to money, so using unseen servants, a noxious smokestick and other shenanigans, I now have 52k gold.

Any ideas on what to do with it? I don't think my character would use it for personal gain, and I don't want to do something boring like distributing it to the poor.

More about my Character - Orphaned due to inquisitors killing parents (another religion, but strong dislike for religion across the board). Wants to bring about a technological revolution to the world (I'm an artificer).

Dislikes spiders and bugbear zombies, and is chaotic neutral. Also, I am level 4. So 52k gold is tempting... But I think taking it would be a golden opportunity for my DM to release some wrath upon us. Also doubt I'll be able to hide it from the party.

Is there some kind of university, wizard school or mad scientist you can donate it to?

RaijinKnight
2018-01-21, 11:13 AM
Is there some kind of university, wizard school or mad scientist you can donate it to?

My background does contain a university, but they had religious members as well. I am currently trying to set up a technological based school, and I haven't thought of a way to fund it yet.... I just don't know if that's too close to home (i.e using it for personal gain). But definitely something to consider, thanks!

Tipsy_Pooka
2018-01-21, 02:08 PM
I'm more interested in how you're hiding, transporting, and securing half a ton of gold without the rest of the party finding out (much less anyone else). :smallsmile:

The tech university is a cool idea for the money though. Should cost between 9-69k (before employees) depending on where you build it...

RaijinKnight
2018-01-21, 02:47 PM
I'm more interested in how you're hiding, transporting, and securing half a ton of gold without the rest of the party finding out (much less anyone else). :smallsmile:

Well assuming platinum pieces, that's 5200 pieces or 104 pounds. One unseen servant can drag 100 pounds, I sent two. Then I just put it in my handy haversack.

I'm going to revisit my plans for the school, and see how much I originally worked it out as.

SirNMN
2018-01-21, 05:36 PM
My background does contain a university, but they had religious members as well. I am currently trying to set up a technological based school, and I haven't thought of a way to fund it yet.... I just don't know if that's too close to home (i.e using it for personal gain). But definitely something to consider, thanks!

Ok so a thing from real life is that if donate of that much you can dictate how it is spent or what it is not to go to,. you are donation what the average joe makes in a decade. the DM can still bring wrath down on you if he want to so be careful