PDA

View Full Version : What would you make if you were me?

Spacehamster
2018-01-21, 01:07 PM
These are the rules:

Point buy, free feat at level 1 no v-human, level 10 start, all printed material allowed and 2 rare and 1 uncommon magic item,
thought I were sure what to make with a 6 champion 4 kensai(mostly to get 3 ASIīs right away for maxed WIS/DEX with a wood elf)
but I just keep coming up with new builds and canīt decide so I thought I would ask for some fun decently powerful builds with these rules. :)

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-21, 01:28 PM
Do you have any idea of what the other members of the party will be?

Spacehamster
2018-01-21, 01:39 PM
Do you have any idea of what the other members of the party will be?

Only know that there will be a single class life cleric so far. :)

hymer
2018-01-21, 01:54 PM
These are the rules:

Point buy, free feat at level 1 no v-human, level 10 start, all printed material allowed and 2 rare and 1 uncommon magic item,
thought I were sure what to make with a 6 champion 4 kensai(mostly to get 3 ASIīs right away for maxed WIS/DEX with a wood elf)
but I just keep coming up with new builds and canīt decide so I thought I would ask for some fun decently powerful builds with these rules. :)

I'd make a wood elf or ghostwise halfling moon druid. I'm not a particular fan of moon druids over the other circles, but that means I haven't played one at level 10 with the elemental forms. I'd like to try that.
I'd pick Mobile for a feat (going really well with earth glide and 90' flight speed), and pick up Warcaster or Resilient (depending on whether my Con score ends up odd or even before this feat choice). The last ASI would be +2 wis, for an 18.
For Uncommon, I'd take Insignia of Claws, and for rares probably Staff of the Woodlands and perhaps a Protection or Awareness Ioun Stone.

the secret fire
2018-01-21, 02:23 PM
I've always thought that a single-class Monk of the Long Death would be fun to play. At 11th level you get that showstopper ability where you can just cheat death all day long. Makes for a creepy but very effective sort of "death tank" with nice controller power from the at-will fear effect you get at 6th level. As far as feats go, Mobility is fantastic on a Monk. Other than that, Observant is great if you've got an odd Wis score. Lucky is always fantastic. The combination of those three feats makes for an incredibly resilient character, and you don't even need the Resilient feat, as you get Diamond Soul at 14th level (if your campaign gets that far). Lots of ways to go with feats as Monks are pretty self-contained.

It really depends on whether or not you want to RP this sort of character, though. Monk of the Long Death is a weird a sort of sinister class, but not necessarily evil...just strange and morbid. I feel like a goblin would make an excellent MoLD, as their culture is sufficiently dark and violent for this sort of belief system. Mechanically speaking, getting bonus action Hide as a goblin is also great for a Monk, and Fury of the Small lets you pack a nice punch, setting up easier killshots for the temp HP you get out of the 3rd level MoLD ability.

It's an exotic race/class combo for sure, but I think it would be tons of fun to play, and strong mechanically.

Spacehamster
2018-01-21, 02:24 PM
I'd make a wood elf or ghostwise halfling moon druid. I'm not a particular fan of moon druids over the other circles, but that means I haven't played one at level 10 with the elemental forms. I'd like to try that.
I'd pick Mobile for a feat (going really well with earth glide and 90' flight speed), and pick up Warcaster or Resilient (depending on whether my Con score ends up odd or even before this feat choice). The last ASI would be +2 wis, for an 18.
For Uncommon, I'd take Insignia of Claws, and for rares probably Staff of the Woodlands and perhaps a Protection or Awareness Ioun Stone.

Thought about Moon druid but a kobold instead since we tend to be melee heavy I would get constant advantage from pack tactics. :)

Asmotherion
2018-01-21, 03:02 PM
These are the rules:

Well, it's more what would you enjoy really...

Personally I would make a Hexblade 5/Dragon Sorcerer 5 with max Charisma and a high Con and call it a day. Pick a highly thematic spell list like Alter Self, Dragon's Breath, Thunderwave (Casting it as Fus Roh Dah) and stuff like that. I want Agonising Blast obviously, and then Improved Pact Weapon and Eldritch Smite. Hex, Armor of Agathys and Shield are also a must. Booming Blade instead of a regular attack. I think that' it.

You on the other hand seem to enjoy a Martial Character Concept more than a Magical/Dragonic character to RP. So my suggestion may not be the best for you. Stick with what you like best, and build accordingly.

Spacehamster
2018-01-21, 03:06 PM
Oh and here is the one I built but not sure if I will play or not:

Lathorion Flameheart
Wood elf
skills: acrobatics, perception, sleight of hand, stealth and survival.
Level 1 feat: Elven accuracy
Starting stats/ Stats after 3 ASIīs: 8/18/14/10/16/8 start, 8/20/14/10/20/8.
Rare magic items: Flame tounge longsword, ring of protection.
Uncommon magic item: cloak of protection
6 levels champion with mariner as style(allowed UA style for us as its not OP like many other UA), 4 levels Kensai monk
with longsword and longbow as chosen kensai weapons.

At level 11 I will pick monk to get stunning strike for on demand advantage on attacks and control, then up to 11 fighter for 3rd attack.

Quoz
2018-01-21, 03:09 PM
Hexblade 1/ Conquest Paladin 9. Max Charisma, terrify everything around you and provide lockdown. Massive boost to the whole party's saving throws. Play the bad cop to whatever do-gooder allies you may have.

For stats, max Cha. Get enough strength to use Plate armor, then worry about con and dex in that order. Dump Int.

For race, I would look to Dragonborn. If you go that way, take Dragonfear as your opening feat. The flying tiefling variant could also be a blast. Halfling for the pint-sized terror if you want to go more tongue in cheek.

For your bonus feat at 1st lvl, I might look to shield master. Semi-evasion on top of your already ridiculous saves, and knocking prone on your terrified opponents who already can't move while close to you will just leave them groveling. The other ASIs should go to Charisma until it is maxed.

For items, pick one offensive, one defensive, and one utility. Mace of terror is a very thematic choice of weapon. In the right party, a ring of spell storing could make for a very versatile pick. Any more ways you can find to stack bonuses onto your ridiculous saves and AC will be fantastic choices. For mundane gear, go plate with shield and the one-hander of your choice.

XmonkTad
2018-01-21, 04:10 PM
High Elf Tempest Cleric 10. Use your feat to pick up War Caster and grab Booming Blade as your High Elf wizard cantrip. Not sure what magic items, but you get heavy armor, martial weapons, and thanks to Thunderous Strike you can play ping-pong with mobs (TS has to be large or smaller).

Note that Booming Blade doesn't rely on Int at all, so you're still only dependent on Wis for casting.

And of course, you're a full caster.

Spacehamster
2018-01-21, 04:16 PM
High Elf Tempest Cleric 10. Use your feat to pick up War Caster and grab Booming Blade as your High Elf wizard cantrip. Not sure what magic items, but you get heavy armor, martial weapons, and thanks to Thunderous Strike you can play ping-pong with mobs (TS has to be large or smaller).

Note that Booming Blade doesn't rely on Int at all, so you're still only dependent on Wis for casting.

And of course, you're a full caster.

Full cleric is only other party member I am sure that I will have in my group so would prefer at most a cleric dip if it fits
the build. :)

GorogIrongut
2018-01-21, 04:25 PM
Full cleric is only other party member I am sure that I will have in my group so would prefer at most a cleric dip if it fits
the build. :)
Dwarven Knowledge Cleric 1/Abjurer Wizard 9....

Asmotherion
2018-01-21, 04:34 PM
Hexblade 1/ Conquest Paladin 9. Max Charisma, terrify everything around you and provide lockdown. Massive boost to the whole party's saving throws. Play the bad cop to whatever do-gooder allies you may have.

For stats, max Cha. Get enough strength to use Plate armor, then worry about con and dex in that order. Dump Int.

For race, I would look to Dragonborn. If you go that way, take Dragonfear as your opening feat. The flying tiefling variant could also be a blast. Halfling for the pint-sized terror if you want to go more tongue in cheek.

For your bonus feat at 1st lvl, I might look to shield master. Semi-evasion on top of your already ridiculous saves, and knocking prone on your terrified opponents who already can't move while close to you will just leave them groveling. The other ASIs should go to Charisma until it is maxed.

For items, pick one offensive, one defensive, and one utility. Mace of terror is a very thematic choice of weapon. In the right party, a ring of spell storing could make for a very versatile pick. Any more ways you can find to stack bonuses onto your ridiculous saves and AC will be fantastic choices. For mundane gear, go plate with shield and the one-hander of your choice.

If you want a very thematic weapon, how about actually going all the way to Hexblade 3 and grab that Agonising Blast and Improved Pact Weapon on the Way? I'm only suggesting this because I like the character concept, and I'd think it would be more awesome with an Eldritch Blast and a Magical Mace in the form of Tiamat's Heads, dubbing as an Arcane Foccus. Blue or Red Dragonborn for theme.

BigONotation
2018-01-21, 04:36 PM
Evoker wizard with Elemental Adept Fire using 4th and 8th to get 20 Int. Pick any race you can start with Int 16.

Quoz
2018-01-21, 05:07 PM
If you want a very thematic weapon, how about actually going all the way to Hexblade 3 and grab that Agonising Blast and Improved Pact Weapon on the Way? I'm only suggesting this because I like the character concept, and I'd think it would be more awesome with an Eldritch Blast and a Magical Mace in the form of Tiamat's Heads, dubbing as an Arcane Foccus. Blue or Red Dragonborn for theme.

That was my thought at first glance, but I thought the ASI to max Cha and getting 3rd level spells gave more mileage. If none of the 3rd level paladin spells jump out as must haves, you could go Pal 8/Warlock X. More and better warlock slots for Smites, and eventually get the 5th level slots. You would even have room to dip somewhere else if desired. The build really only requires Pal 7 and warlock 1 to get off the ground, and after that warlock probably has a lot to add over more Paladin.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-01-21, 05:19 PM
Half-Elf (Drow Variant)
8, 14, 16, 10, 10, 17
Starting Feat Elven Accuracy +1CHR for a +4 modifier
Starting Class: Fighter Two levels to get action surge this also lets you start with a constitution modifier.
Multiclass into Warlock for the next 8 levels.
For your two ASI's grab Sentinel and GWM. at lvl 14 grab PAM switch these around if you want. Just remember you are going to have advantage ALOT and thus Elven accuracy and GWM will come into play more then expected.
Invocations: Thirsting Blade (attack twice with pact weapon), Devil's Sight (120' vision even through magical Darkness) Eldritch Smite(use a spell slot to deal 4d8 damage to a creature) Relentless Hex (pure fluff bonus action teleport to your hexed or cursed target in reality this will only be used if you are switching targets or if they are maneuvering so that you can't attack them.)

For enchanted items options are
Glaive or Halberd +2 (R)
Stone of good luck (UC)
Half Plate +1 (R) if your DM will allow it.
Ring of spell Storing (R)
Boots of elvenkind (UC)

Beelzebubba
2018-01-21, 05:38 PM
I can't offer a full build, but I want to try a Drow Gloom Stalker Ranger with a 2-level dip of Druid, Circle of the Underdark.

That, or a Drunken Master or a Dwarf Forge Cleric.

Mongobear
2018-01-21, 05:41 PM
Hexblade 3/Ancients Paladin 7
Half-Elf(Drow Magic variant so that you can take War Caster as a Paladin 1)
15/10/10/10/14/17 to start
Free feat - War Caster
Level 4 Paladin +2 Cha(19)
15/10/10(19)/10/14/19 When you sit down at the table (after Magic Items and ASIs)

Defense fighting style
Magic Items: Rare - Amulet of Health(Sets Con to 19), Uncommons - Cloak of Protection, +1 Shield
Invocations - Improved Pact Weapon, Devil's Sight
Pact of the Blade

Wear Plate for a 18 AC, +3 from Shield, +1 Defense FS, +1 Cloak = 23 AC in normal situations, with access to Shield from Hexblade.
+4 to all Saves from Paladin 6, Resistance to magic/spell damage from Ancients 7.
Since you have dual class spell slots, you can burn Warlock slots on Smites, and cast their spells via Paladin slots. Hex + HB Curse makes your damage pretty steady for a 'Tank' build, but it takes a few turns to get set up. Tons of self-healing with LoH, HB Curse, and Spells.
Your party will love you because of your Auras.

If you ever level, Take Paladin 8 for Elven Accuracy(+1 Charisma) to cap it.

Talamare
2018-01-21, 05:47 PM
Bard/Rogue/Warlock/Cleric Multiclass that gets Every Skill and as much Expertise as possible.

MxKit
2018-01-21, 06:46 PM
Air Genasi
Drunken Master 10
Courtier background
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, Persuasion
Level 1 Feat: Tavern Brawler
Stats By lv10 Start: 12, 18, 16, 8, 16, 10
Rare Magic Items: Cloak of displacement, ring of protection
Uncommon Magic Item: Alchemy jug or decanter of endless water

A disgraced courtier who became a drunk... sort of. This character is much more capable and strong than they were, and while they still have regrets about their past they are content with where they are. They're also quite canny, while not well-taught, and while they can be somewhat offputting to polite society given their constant apparent tipsiness (at least!), they're also very clever and tricky. I imagine this character to be a Chaotic Good sort. Might be a good idea to grab a level of Rogue at some point to Expertise Athletics and really double down on having grabbed Tavern Brawler.

(I absolutely love Drunken Masters! They give you a chunk of the Athlete feat and imo all the best parts of the Mobile feat for nothing. Great subclass and a ton of fun to play and roleplay.)