PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Which Faerun god to use?

Pinjata
2018-01-21, 03:57 PM
Here is the tale: God X, a god of divination and foresight, sensed one of the time strands brings Tiamat into Faerun. God X liked its divine knowledge. God did not care much about Faerun itself, but it knew, there were those who do. So it went to Helm, the great Protector, informing him it has this knowledge of the future ... For a price. Thus Helm, being a greater god and highly interested in protecting Faerun, acquired a group of exceptionally competent adventurers - which were given at God X's disposal. It had sent them into another plane, to do his bidding. If they would suceed, An Enlightment would be bestowed upon one of the adventurers upon their return. One of the adventurers would know full (possible) story of Tiamat's emergence in Faerun, more accurately, in Sword coast.

My questions are:

Which god would be best to be used as God X?

What would be general outlines of this special quest/short campaign, adventurers should do in another plane?

thanks

Pex
2018-01-21, 07:56 PM
Savras

Adventure goal: Find a way to free Savras from oath of fealty to Azuth.

Possible solution: Presuming the Spellplague happened, separate the essence of Azuth from Asmodeous causing him to lose his divinity and return to Archdevil status. Return the essence to Azuth in Savras' name. Azuth releases Savras from service.

Pugwampy
2018-01-22, 05:20 AM
Laurue the unicorn queen

Yay

BWR
2018-01-22, 05:35 AM
Savras

Adventure goal: Find a way to free Savras from oath of fealty to Azuth.

Possible solution: Presuming the Spellplague happened, separate the essence of Azuth from Asmodeous causing him to lose his divinity and return to Archdevil status. Return the essence to Azuth in Savras' name. Azuth releases Savras from service.

Savras was my first thought too, but he's dead. You can always choose to alter that, of course. It could even be a leftover prophecy given to Helm before Savras' death.

Pex
2018-01-22, 08:52 AM
Savras was my first thought too, but he's dead. You can always choose to alter that, of course. It could even be a leftover prophecy given to Helm before Savras' death.

Not in my 5E Sword Coast Adventure Guide.

BWR
2018-01-22, 10:19 AM
Not in my 5E Sword Coast Adventure Guide.

Guess the wiki isn't updated. I'll confess most of my FR lore is from the 2e era, with only a little from 3e. I just checked the wiki because I couldn't remember Savras' name and noticed he was listed as dead. But anything ignoring 4e is good, so I'm not gonna complain.

Pinjata
2018-01-22, 10:55 AM
Good answers. Sad, Savras is dead. I do not intend to change that. Hmm.

LibraryOgre
2018-01-22, 11:58 AM
An unconventional choice: Faluzure (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_deities#Faluzure), the dragon-god of Energy Draining, Undeath, Decay, and Exhaustion... who is also worshiped in conjunction with Chronepsis as the Deity Null, (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Null), said to be co-equal to Bahamut and Tiamat.

So, Faluzure learns of this plot of Tiamat's, partially due to access to Chronepsis's foreknowledge, and partially due to being an equal with Tiamat. He approaches Helm, who provides the adventurers. But, being the god of Undeath and part of the deity of dracolichdom, the goal he wants the party to accomplish is going to be a bit twisted... or, at least, twistable. Maybe he wants them to steal the phylactery of a dracolich who is opposing him, without destroying the dracolich itself? Putting that phylactery into his control, and giving him influence over a near-deity of great power? It's the kind of thing that a good party would not automatically object to, but which could have greater fallout in the future.

Pinjata
2018-01-22, 12:25 PM
An unconventional choice: Faluzure (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_deities#Faluzure), the dragon-god of Energy Draining, Undeath, Decay, and Exhaustion... who is also worshiped in conjunction with Chronepsis as the Deity Null, (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Null), said to be co-equal to Bahamut and Tiamat.

So, Faluzure learns of this plot of Tiamat's, partially due to access to Chronepsis's foreknowledge, and partially due to being an equal with Tiamat. He approaches Helm, who provides the adventurers. But, being the god of Undeath and part of the deity of dracolichdom, the goal he wants the party to accomplish is going to be a bit twisted... or, at least, twistable. Maybe he wants them to steal the phylactery of a dracolich who is opposing him, without destroying the dracolich itself? Putting that phylactery into his control, and giving him influence over a near-deity of great power? It's the kind of thing that a good party would not automatically object to, but which could have greater fallout in the future.

This is an amazing combo. Helm has an interest in protecting Faerun. Faluzure gets the info. Offers this info to Helm in order to push his own agenda. During this, he messes with Tiamat. Sounds really well.

LibraryOgre
2018-01-22, 02:17 PM
This is an amazing combo. Helm has an interest in protecting Faerun. Faluzure gets the info. Offers this info to Helm in order to push his own agenda. During this, he messes with Tiamat. Sounds really well.

And Helm, for his part, won't care that it advances evil, since it protects Toril. And Faluzure can meet with the party in person, in human or elf form.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-23, 04:11 PM
Good answers. Sad, Savras is dead. I do not intend to change that. Hmm.

I think he got better. He seems to have been a casualty of 4th edition, but as of 5th, he's alive and kicking. So depending on edition, his fate is uncertain. However, if you are running a 4th edition game, I think the lore of gods coming in from other worlds is still present? Just pick a god from a different setting or make your own. Or a descendant of Savras, as several gods have reproduced and Savras probably saw his own darn death. Worked just fine for Bhaal and Bane, amirite?

I would say Faluzure is a really bad choice as the description linked is 1) of dubious canon status within Forgotten Realms, which might irk some people expecting a certain experience 2) his domains overlap with Velsharoon, which is a no-no in the Realms and 3) He's pretty evil, so you need to establish a reason Helm thinks listening to him is a good idea in the slightest. Evil gods are known schemers, after all. In 3rd edition, Helm opposes many evil gods for this reason.

Sehanine Moonbow is an elven goddess of Divination, so if you aren't going with Savras I'd look her up.

Another suggestion is a non-god, such as a very powerful outsider. Could make for an interesting ally or boss fight.