PDA

View Full Version : Charging on Rhinoback

RAGE KING!
2007-08-25, 04:36 PM
I was making a fighter who has a rhino, he likes charging on his rhino. I wanted to get lance for this purpose, and i seem to recall some way of getting more than a x2 bonus with a weapon used in a charge. Am I right? If so, how do i actually do that? Is there some way to get the bonus with a fullblade.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-25, 04:38 PM
Fullblades are perfect as they are.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-25, 04:41 PM
Spirited Charge changes your mounted lance damage from *2 to *3. The Cavalier has a bunch of abilities making mounted combat more dangerous for the intended target, and of course the standard Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper works from horseback (and is multiplied accordingly).

Citizen Joe
2007-08-25, 05:06 PM
FASA's Earthdawn had a class called Cavalryman. When charging on a mount, the damage was based on the mount's strength instead of the rider's.

Rex Blunder
2007-08-25, 05:12 PM
For extra fun, what about wearing rhino hide armor?

...deals an additional 2d6 points of damage on any successful charge attack made by the wearer, including a mounted charge.

Maybe your mount would find that too creepy...

horseboy
2007-08-25, 05:24 PM
FASA's Earthdawn had a class called Cavalryman. When charging on a mount, the damage was based on the mount's strength instead of the rider's.

Plus your ranks in charge and your own str step and the step of your weapons. So a Dwarf with a battle axe on a huwatta could do d20+2d10+d6 damage. Respectable even by troll standards.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-25, 05:33 PM
Plus your ranks in charge and your own str step and the step of your weapons. So a Dwarf with a battle axe on a huwatta could do d20+2d10+d6 damage. Respectable even by troll standards.

Its been a while, but I thought the mount's strength replaced your own. I just remember it being nasty with a troll on a thundra beast. Even an Ork on a thundra beast was pretty nasty.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-25, 06:22 PM
...nobody helped at all.

well the spirited charge thing...but w.e.

i'll bluff my mount into thinking my rhino hide armour came from a dead rhino, so no rhinos were deliberately harmed.

The White Knight
2007-08-25, 06:55 PM
Actually, they helped you just fine. Spirited Charge and Cavalier are the only answers I can think of that make any change to the multiplier of your damage on a (noncritical) mounted charge. Spirited Charge will increase your fullblade's damage, should you so desire, to double, and I think the Cavalier's increased charge multiplier applies to swords as well as lances, if not all weapons. That's only a limited number of times per day, though, if I recall.

In case you were wondering, Cavalier is from Complete Warrior.

dyslexicfaser
2007-08-25, 07:03 PM
For extra fun, what about wearing rhino hide armor?

Maybe your mount would find that too creepy...
Or lead to hot rhino-on-cavalier love.

See also: too creepy.

horseboy
2007-08-25, 08:28 PM
Its been a while, but I thought the mount's strength replaced your own. I just remember it being nasty with a troll on a thundra beast. Even an Ork on a thundra beast was pretty nasty.

http://www.earthdawn.com/forum/index.php?topic=252.msg3122#msg3122

Your weapon damage test is your str+ your weapon damage step.

Cubey
2007-08-25, 08:50 PM
Oh yes, the Cavalryman. The only way to make a Windling riding a small lizard rip off a troll's head with a single hit.

EDIT: As for DnD, there aren't many, if any, options from what was described already.

Benejeseret
2007-08-25, 11:10 PM
Train your rhino to fly and feed him potions of flight.

A diving charge does X2 damage.

Sooo, x2lancex2spiritedx2diving=X4 to all your damage. Use a two handed weapon and power attack. Ergo every attack point you power up with is 2 damage....x4=8 extra damage per 'sacrificed to hit' power attack.

And the x2 diving charge modifier would multiply the rhinos charge.
What is that....8d6+48?

de-trick
2007-08-25, 11:17 PM
Train your rhino to fly and feed him potions of flight.

A diving charge does X2 damage.

Sooo, x2lancex2spiritedx2diving=X4 to all your damage. Use a two handed weapon and power attack. Ergo every attack point you power up with is 2 damage....x4=8 extra damage per 'sacrificed to hit' power attack.

And the x2 diving charge modifier would multiply the rhinos charge.
What is that....8d6+48?

that would hurt alot

add a flaming so
8d6+48+1d6

SadisticFishing
2007-08-26, 02:11 AM
I think you guys are taking the term "charge attack" a bit too liberally. Using Shock Trooper on a mounted charge is one thing, it might make a little bit of sense... Though not really, Shock Trooper seems like the type of thing you'd need your legs for...

But Leap Attack? How are you supposed to Leap Attack while horse-back riding?

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-08-26, 02:29 AM
...But Leap Attack? How are you supposed to Leap Attack while horse-back riding?

You know how they have entire competitions based around horses jumping over things?

On topic: the valorous weapon enhancement, from Unapproachable East, gives you another multiplier for a piffling +1.

MrNexx
2007-08-26, 02:44 AM

You know how they have entire competitions based around horses jumping over things?

On topic: the valorous weapon enhancement, from Unapproachable East, gives you another multiplier for a piffling +1.

Ok, how do you make a leap attack while rhino-back-riding?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-26, 07:15 AM
Isn't there a few feats (Ride-by attack, Spirited Charge, et. cetera) That would allow allsorts of shock trooper-ey goodness whilst mounted?

Wolfwood2
2007-08-26, 11:35 AM

In which case it is the horse/mount that should have the leap attack feat and the horse/mount whose attack would get the benefits.

Sorry, but I would call shenanigans on a player trying to use his mount's jump to activate his own leap attack feat.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 06:25 PM
I think you guys are taking the term "charge attack" a bit too liberally. Using Shock Trooper on a mounted charge is one thing, it might make a little bit of sense... Though not really, Shock Trooper seems like the type of thing you'd need your legs for...

But Leap Attack? How are you supposed to Leap Attack while horse-back riding?
My friend, you don't want to know how broken the Mounted Combat Rules are once you start to examine them. I remember a lengthy Thread where we gradually came to the realisation that, as written, many Mounted Combat Feats simply did not work by the RAW with Mounted Combat because of the lack of specificity in what Action Charging on a Mount actually is. Am I Charging? Is my Mount Charging? Are we Charging? Argghh!

RAGE KING!
2007-08-26, 07:23 PM
meh, i just went with a x2 modifier. it's not really a bad thing now is it?

Edit: My rhino's damage is the most important really...

Khanderas
2007-08-27, 06:15 AM
i'll bluff my mount into thinking my rhino hide armour came from a dead rhino, so no rhinos were deliberately harmed.

Not technically a lie, because I am sure the Rhino was dead when you skinned him. I shudder to think why anyone would try to skin a live Rhino.
You might still have shot the animal in question though :smallwink: