PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Windows 10 random program freeze

Morty
2018-01-21, 04:53 PM
Ever since yesterday, some programs started freezing on my computer. First it was Foxit Reader. Today, the same happened to Malware Bytes and League of Legends. They all turn on, but once they do, they freeze and respond very slowly, if at all. So it's not quite a freeze, but close. I don't remember it happening previously, but the only thing I did with my computer was to install an update Windows was telling me to install. I don't know what might have caused it and I'm worried other programs will stop responding too. I can close them through the taskbar or Windows Manager without any issues of crashes... but they don't respond otherwise.

Fri
2018-01-21, 08:46 PM
not sure if it has anything to do with windows 10 update, but it sounds like your memory or processor got overwhelmed by something? If you check using taskbar, do you see either the memory or cpu is fully used, when your pc slows down?

Do you use internet browser when those slowdown happens? It might also be your memory or processor power got eaten by something from browser.

Or is the windows update use up a lot of your hard drive? can you check? Maybe you're just run out of hard drive space for virtual memory?

Morty
2018-01-21, 08:59 PM
The processor is 21% used, the memory is 41%, with Firefox on. Turning off the browser doesn't seem to do anything, either. And to clarify - the computer doesn't slow down. Those four programs do, everything else works peachy. I forgot to mention GOG Galaxy does it too, even though it was fine this morning. I've got 41 GB of free space left on the hard drive.

Gnoman
2018-01-21, 09:33 PM
Check your hard drive for errors. It is possible that Windows rearranged your drive after the update and you have bad sectors.

Morty
2018-01-21, 09:37 PM
Scanning it from its properties window in Windows Explorer doesn't turn anything up. Or did you mean something else?

Gnoman
2018-01-21, 09:48 PM
No, that would have shown something if that was the problem.

Thing is, I can't see what all of those programs could have in common other than disk access.

Unless... Try disconnecting your internet and then run them (except, of course, for League). All of them would have auto-updaters.

Morty
2018-01-21, 10:09 PM
It appears to have worked. Once I disconnected from the Internet, both GOG Galaxy and Malwarebytes started working. I couldn't check Foxit, as I've uninstalled it. They continued to work after I linked up to my phone's hotspot. But they're also working now after I've relinked to my usual Wi-Fi. I have to go to bed now, but I'll see how it plays out tomorrow. And if the problem is with my connection or my computer's wireless adapter.

Morty
2018-01-22, 08:27 AM
Okay, so all those programs were working when I turned on my computer today. I even played a match of League. A few hours later, though, they stopped. After I disconnected from the wi-fi, they worked after a few moments. Switching to my phone's internet doesn't seem to help, so it must be a problem with my computer's web settings, somehow.

factotum
2018-01-22, 04:59 PM
Are you sure it's not a physical issue with the actual Wi-Fi hardware in your computer, or a bad Wi-Fi driver?

Morty
2018-01-22, 05:24 PM
Well, I've isolated the issue. It was caused by another program on my computer... my IRC client, specifically. It has a function that lets it pop up even if another program is running in full screen, but it seems to have started some conflicts. The problem disappeared when I turned it off.