PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you drink universal solvent?

nickl_2000
2018-01-21, 06:08 PM
It was an option to identify a liquid to sample a small amount by drinking a tiny amount. So what would happen if you did for universal solvent?

the_brazenburn
2018-01-21, 06:21 PM
Mucus is kind of like glue, right? Would it cause the lining of mucus inside your stomach to dissolve, therefore killing yourself with your own stomach acids?

Keltest
2018-01-21, 06:25 PM
Mucus is kind of like glue, right? Would it cause the lining of mucus inside your stomach to dissolve, therefore killing yourself with your own stomach acids?

If you only drank a couple drops, I don't think it would kill you. You would probably become very sick though. It would probably damage your mouth and throat pretty badly.

Alternatively, it could just be water, which is the closest thing the real world has to a universal solvent.

nickl_2000
2018-01-21, 06:41 PM
If you only drank a couple drops, I don't think it would kill you. You would probably become very sick though. It would probably damage your mouth and throat pretty badly.

Alternatively, it could just be water, which is the closest thing the real world has to a universal solvent.

Universal solvent is a magical item that dissolves anything... So definitely not water :)

nickl_2000
2018-01-21, 06:43 PM

I was wondering if it would burn a hole through your mouth or maybe permanently dissolves your taste buds making it so you can't taste anything until a regeneration spell has been cast on you?

Elminster298
2018-01-21, 06:46 PM
The equivalent of Taco Bell at the end of a night of heavy drinking?

Kane0
2018-01-21, 06:47 PM
Magical laxatives

nickl_2000
2018-01-21, 06:48 PM
The equivalent of Taco Bell at the end of a night of heavy drinking?

Magical laxatives

LOL, Immediate, Messy, and explosive incapacitation

PhantomSoul
2018-01-21, 07:02 PM
If your character has too much while testing, maybe they become an ooze?

ImproperJustice
2018-01-21, 07:11 PM
It would solve all your problems, universally.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-21, 07:34 PM
Nothing much, except making you feel very stupid when you realise what it is. It's not acid, it magically dissolves adhesives and nothing else. Doesn't make sense from our RL chemistry? It's a legendary magic item, not a RL chemical. It's also not a potion, so taste-testing doesn't work.

Pex
2018-01-21, 07:48 PM
Magical laxatives

That's cleaner than how I was going to put it.

nickl_2000
2018-01-21, 07:49 PM
Nothing much, except making you feel very stupid when you realise what it is. It's not acid, it magically dissolves adhesives and nothing else. Doesn't make sense from our RL chemistry? It's a legendary magic item, not a RL chemical. It's also not a potion, so taste-testing doesn't work.

Taste testing would not work, but it's a liquid in a vial. So, players may try it anyways.

I completely missed that it only dissolves adhesives. I was thinking it dissolved pretty much anything

Chugger
2018-01-21, 08:31 PM
You'd never stop pewping. Seriously.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-21, 08:47 PM
You take 1d4 acid damage as it burns your tongue?

It would solve all your problems, universally.
HAH!

Christian
2018-01-21, 11:03 PM
Is this the D&D equivalent of the Tide Pod Challenge?

Arkhios
2018-01-21, 11:16 PM
Magical laxatives

Lol, this was my immediate thought as well xD

bid
2018-01-21, 11:41 PM
It was an option to identify a liquid to sample a small amount by drinking a tiny amount. So what would happen if you did for universal solvent?
You could call your stomach lining as large fraction of "a square foot of adhesive".
So drinking a large fraction of universal solvent would cause your digestive fluids to do acid damage.

Taking a sip might clear your sinuses though.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-01-22, 01:26 AM
Is this the D&D equivalent of the Tide Pod Challenge?

Yes it is. Int save v. stupidity, Con save v. poison, disadvantage to both.

Beelzebubba
2018-01-22, 01:47 AM
If I lick a fly swatter, will I die?

IMC I'd say it probably has the smell and taste of something solvent-like her, so... acetone. That would be NASTY and the tiniest whiff would make your eyes water, let alone drinking it. Which you would instinctively know not to do because of the acrid odor.

Grimslade5
2018-01-22, 06:10 AM
Permanent Freedom of Movement

Luppers
2018-01-22, 06:15 AM

IMC I'd say it probably has the smell and taste of something solvent-like her, so... acetone. That would be NASTY and the tiniest whiff would make your eyes water, let alone drinking it. Which you would instinctively know not to do because of the acrid odor.

Not all solvents have a bad odor, or even have an odor at all. Water is a solvent, so is alcohol.

Azgeroth
2018-01-22, 06:23 AM
any fillings or false teeth immediately become loose, and you dribble like crazy whilst your tongue slides around your mouth almost with a will of its own as your saliva becomes the most amazing lubricant in the the multi-verse..

KillingTime
2018-01-22, 06:28 AM
Universal solvent is a magical item that dissolves anything... So definitely not water :)

In the real world, chemists often describe water as the universal solvent, because it has near magical properties that allow it to dissolve almost anything.
Seriously.
Water is ubiquitous, but it has some extremely weird properties.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-01-22, 07:21 AM
Well if you go WAY WAY back to 3.0 not 3.5 but 3.0. If you concentrated the solution(no explanation as to how you did that) It'd have the effect of a disintegrate spell if used organic material such as a creature. Which incidentally was why it was 2,000gp in 3.0 instead of the 50gp in 3.5. That was the last time they listed an effect for drinking a universal solvent.

For 5e I'd treat it as taking dose of Pale Tincture.(pg258 DMG). Again my ruling not any RAW to support.

Its a milky liquid with a strong alcohol smell according to the items description in 5e.

Balyano
2018-01-22, 07:35 AM

I always figured it was Aqua Regia. AKA a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. That stuff can dissolve gold and platinum.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-22, 07:47 AM
1. Its a bad idea
2. you die

My guess that it would dissolve you, form the inside out, ouch.

Slipperychicken
2018-01-22, 10:25 AM
I thought identification happened with tasting, not swallowing.

It seems pretty reckless to gulp down unknown substances.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-22, 10:34 AM

"Hmm a small glass bottle. there seems to be some odd blue stuff in it." "I DRINK IT"
Your strength increases to 29
"Yay"
"hmm a purple bottle" "I DRINK IT"
"Take *roll *roll *roll 243 poison damage."
I believe there is a lesson here but i'm not sure. When im playing I like to take the "I DRINK IT" approach.

Edit: Also the only reason that one of my characters has ever drunk universal solvent is because I drank Sovereign glue. (don't ask) It didn't go well.

nickl_2000
2018-01-22, 10:37 AM

ever played a stupid barbarian?

Slipperychicken
2018-01-22, 11:06 AM
ever played a stupid barbarian?

Don't get me wrong: Despite the obvious and unmitigated danger, I've repeatedly had my characters pound down sketchy vials because it's fun.

I mainly mean it as an option for characters who aren't trying to be as stupid have that kind of fun.

nickl_2000
2018-01-22, 11:08 AM
Don't get me wrong: Despite the obvious and unmitigated danger, I've repeatedly had my characters pound down sketchy vials because it's fun.

I mainly mean it as an option for characters who aren't trying to be as stupid have that kind of fun.

Oh you meant a character that doesn't have a death wish :smallcool:

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-22, 11:23 AM
Oh you meant a character that doesn't have a death wish :smallcool:

If our characters didn't have a death wish, they'd stay peasants or shopkeepers. Knowingly entering a dragon's lair to loot it's hoard isn't exactly known as a low-risk hobby.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-22, 11:26 AM
If our characters didn't have a death wish, they'd stay peasants or shopkeepers. Knowingly entering a dragon's lair to loot it's hoard isn't exactly known as a low-risk hobby.

High-risk, high reward. It's exactly the kind of thing some young punk adventurer or middle aged wizard going through a midlife crisis might do. It's not the same as having a death wish.

If some did have a death wish, drinking anything akin to solvent is an absolutely horrible way to fulfill it. I'd much rather charge into a dungeon and go down swinging.

Demonslayer666
2018-01-22, 03:12 PM
You'd come unglued.

Quoxis
2018-01-22, 03:12 PM
Ask the tide pod eaters - oh wait, they won’t answer...

nickl_2000
2018-01-22, 03:13 PM
You'd come unglued.

Bah dum, Ping!

JakOfAllTirades
2018-01-22, 06:16 PM
You'd come unglued.

Winner winner chicken dinner!