PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Legendary Boxer - Monk Subclass

Sk8ter274
2018-01-22, 12:22 AM
While I have nothing against monks or samurai, both the addition of drunken master and samurai in XGA are addition I've been waiting for, I've always thought they stick out since I've always seen the world of D&D as medieval Europe instead of medieval Asia. So I thought I'd make my own subclass for the monk to keep with more western traditions, ie boxing. Any feedback is welcome and keep in mind it's unfinished. I've only thought up to level 7 and think one more ability at 11 and 17 would be good to keep with XGA's additions.

The Legendary Boxer

Sub class description – Monks are famous for the deeds they’ve accomplished with nothing but their bodies and minds. You’ve spoken with a few and learned roughly what kind of training they’ve endured. While you’re not one for that spiritual enlightenment stuff, there’s no ignoring the training’s results. You’ve no need for that fancy kicking. All you need is your two arms and skills you’ve developed over the years, now strengthened by monk training.

Iron Chin – Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level,, your training and experience have improved your ability to take a beating. Add half of your CON modifier (miniumum of 1) rounded down to your AC.

Rope-a-Dope - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level,, you’ve won countless fights by tiring your opponents out. Spend 1 ki point to take half damage from all incoming non-magical melee attacks as a reaction. You can spend an additional ki points to make an unarmed strike in response to any creature within 5ft.

Wild Haymaker - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you throw a desperate punch with full force and with the intent to knock your opponent out. Spend 1 ki point to make an unarmed strike with -5 penalty to hit, but add 1d10 to the damage if it hits. You can spend additional ki points to add and add 1d10 for each point, but each point spent adds -2 to the penalty.

Corkscrew Punch – Starting at level 5, you throw a punch in an overhand,motion intended to cause a cut. Any creature hit must succeed on a CON saving throw or suffer 2d4 of slashing damage each round. The damage increases to 2d6 at level 7, 2d8 at level 10, 2d10 at level 15, 2d12 at level 18, and 3d12 at level 20. The creature can continue to make CON saving throws on each of its turns until it succeeds or healed. All stunned creatures instantly fail the saving throw.

Down, But Not Out – Starting at level 7, unless that last hit messed with your hearing, you didn’t hear any bell. If reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can spend 2 ki points to roll one of your hit dice to recover hit points. You can spend more ki points for more hit die, but the cost increases by one ( 2 ki points – 1d8, 3 ki points – 2d8 , 4 ki points – 3d8, etc). Once used, this ability can not be used until a short rest. All hit die used are reduced from hit die used for short rest recovery, if activated when none are available, no hit points are recovered.

Blackbando
2018-01-22, 07:16 AM
First thing's first; what is with this levelling? Monk subclasses gain features at 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 17th level. There's no 5th nor 7th level features. Did you accidentally confuse monk's subclass feature levels with Revised Ranger's?

Anyways, now for the actual features.

Iron Chin
It does fit, and I'm unsure if just +2 AC is really gonna break anything. I'll say "probably not", but even then I'm lukewarm on that.

Rope-a-Dope
A reaction to what? How many ki points can you expend as a reaction to make unarmed strikes? I'm assuming these unarmed strikes don't cost a reaction, which if you have a lot of ki can be a little problematic with how high the damage is.

Wild Haymaker
This damage is honestly not that good for the penalty. I'd personally make it disadvantage, and maybe allow additional damage for the -2 penalties. Also, the damage scaling, in my opinion, would be better as your martial arts die. Just my 2 cents on that, though.

Corkscrew Punch
Can you do this for every unarmed strike? Does it have a cost? When does it take this damage? Even without these questions answered, this seems absurdly good for a 5th (should be 6th) level feature. Damage over time is hard to balance in 5th edition.

Down, But Not Out
I like this feature, though I'd personally make it 1 ki point initially instead of 2. Compare it to Long Death, for example.

Not that bad, but there's some definite wording issues. I'd personally not bother with Corkscrew Punch and just make Down, But Not Out the 6th level feature.

Sk8ter274
2018-01-22, 10:38 PM
First thing's first; what is with this levelling? Monk subclasses gain features at 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 17th level. There's no 5th nor 7th level features. Did you accidentally confuse monk's subclass feature levels with Revised Ranger's?

Anyways, now for the actual features.

Iron Chin
It does fit, and I'm unsure if just +2 AC is really gonna break anything. I'll say "probably not", but even then I'm lukewarm on that.

Rope-a-Dope
A reaction to what? How many ki points can you expend as a reaction to make unarmed strikes? I'm assuming these unarmed strikes don't cost a reaction, which if you have a lot of ki can be a little problematic with how high the damage is.

Wild Haymaker
This damage is honestly not that good for the penalty. I'd personally make it disadvantage, and maybe allow additional damage for the -2 penalties. Also, the damage scaling, in my opinion, would be better as your martial arts die. Just my 2 cents on that, though.

Corkscrew Punch
Can you do this for every unarmed strike? Does it have a cost? When does it take this damage? Even without these questions answered, this seems absurdly good for a 5th (should be 6th) level feature. Damage over time is hard to balance in 5th edition.

Down, But Not Out
I like this feature, though I'd personally make it 1 ki point initially instead of 2. Compare it to Long Death, for example.

Not that bad, but there's some definite wording issues. I'd personally not bother with Corkscrew Punch and just make Down, But Not Out the 6th level feature.

The levels are a work in progress, but I'll revise as I go.

Rope a Dope - I thought the wording was clear, but then again I am the one who wrote it. It'a reaction to being attacked. As for the unarmed strikes costing ki, you are essentially attacking out of turn and delivering damage. It seems kind of OP/broken to be allowed to do that for free. Though a max of 1 since it stacks with Martial Arts Bonus unarm strike.

Wlid Haymaker - The damage did seem low to me, but I prefer less is more method. Maybe a base of 3d10 and it scales d10 with the martial arts die. I think penalties should make sense now. I mean 4d10 with -7 to hit seems fair to me.

Corkscrew punch - honestly I was scrambling at this one. I had ideas for high level things but not mid level. Probably gonna scrap it.

Down but not out - Seems like a good idea. Will do

Sk8ter274
2018-01-22, 10:59 PM
Alright, with adivisement from both here and DM friends, here's the revised subclass

Iron Chin & Fist – Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level,, your training and experience have improved your ability to take a beating. Add half of you CON modifier (miniumum of 1) rounded down to your AC and half your STR modifier (minimum of 1) to all unarmed strikes damage rolls.

Rope-a-Dope - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level,, you’ve won countless fights by tiring your opponents out. When a creature within 5ft makes an attack, spend 1 ki point to take half damage from all incoming non-magical melee attacks. You can spend an additional ki point to make an unarmed strike in response. You cannot spend additional ki points to make more unarmed strikes nor does Martial Arts Bonus unarmed strike apply.

Wild Haymaker - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you throw a desperate punch with full force and with the intent to knock an opponent out. Spend 1 ki point to make an unarmed strike with disadvantage, but add 2d10 additional bludgening if it hits. You can spend additional ki points to add 1d10 for each point, but each point spent adds -2 to hit

Down, but not out – Starting at level 6, unless that last hit messed with your hearing, you didn’t hear any bell. If reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can spend 1 ki point to roll one of your hit dice to recover hit points. You can spend more ki points for more hit die, but the cost increases by one ( 2 ki points – 1d8, 3 ki points – 2d8 , 4 ki points – 3d8, etc). Once used, this ability can not be used until a short rest. All hit die used are reduced from hit die used for short rest recovery, if activated when none are available, no hit points are recovered.

Eat Lighting & Crap Thunder – Starting at level 11, you remember your trainers words during training, Spend 5 Ki points and your next hit deals 10d12 lighting damage to the target and is pushed back 10ft. Any creature within 5ft must make a CON saving throw or also be thrown back 10ft & take half damage. You can spend 1 additional ki point to add another 1d12 to the damage roll.

One Punch – Starting at level 17, your training regimen of 100 daily push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, plus 10 km daily running has begun to show promise. When you make a hit with an unarmed strike on a creature, you can spend 10 ki points to force the creature to make a CON saving throw. If it fails the its hit point are reduced to 0. If it succeeds, then it’s hit points are reduced by half. Regardless of success or failure, any future physical attacks made against the boxer is made at disadvantage and all attack made by the boxer, except ki empowered strikes, are made with advantage.

OR

Infinite Mass Punch - Starting at level 17 you remember that the faster an object moves, the more mass it attains and nothing can move faster than light. When you make a hit with an unarmed strike on a creature after moving at least 20ft in the same direction, you can spend 10 ki points to force the creature to make a STR saving throw. If it fails, it is thrown back 1d4x15 feet (1d4x10 if it size large or higher) along with 4d12 bludgeoning damage and is stunned until the end of its next turn. If it succeeds, it takes half damage and is thrown back half the distance, but is only stunned for the rest of the round. If the creature is prevented from traveling the full distance, slamming into a cave wall for example, roll 2d8 for each ten feet not traveled. You can also spend additional ki points, to a maximum of 3, to increase the damage by 1d12

Fixed the wording the best I could, but I'm not entirely sure on the lighting damage at level 11. Can't tell if it's too much or too little for the 5 ki point cost. Same goes for One Punch. I modeled it after Quivering Palm and that's only 3 ki points. I figure if you're gonna burn 10 ki points, it'd better worth it even if it fails. As for the infinite mass punch, it's essentially another version of One Punch that I couldn't decide on. It strikes me as bit excessive, but it is for epic tier fights like dragons and such. I doubt anyone would bother burning half their ki point while fighting the big baddie's minions.