PDA

View Full Version : Balista use with Enveloping Pit

Zhepna
2018-01-22, 01:01 AM
Hi,

I have an Enveloping Pit. I made 4 floors inside it and I want to put a balista on the top one. The idea is that I'll make an homemade shield, which consist of strap with a plain circle of woods on it. The Enveloping pit will be on the shield and always open. The opening of the pit will be directly in front of the balista. I'll aim the monster with my shield and shout to the NPC working for me in the pit to fire with the ballista. The balista will be attach to the flood and will never move, the NPC only fire and reload it.

1) Usually there's a attack roll penalty when someone attack with a ballista. Does it apply in the situation I described?

2) If there's 2 NPC are reloading it, does it takes half the time ? (1 full-round action instead of 2)

3) In term of actions, If I proceed like previously mentionned, do I still have my movement and standard action? I'll have to aim with the shield and shout so my free action is taken for sure. i was wondering which actions could be left in this situation.

4) for the 500 gp, does it comes with multiple 'arrows' or I have to buy them individually?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Ballista
A ballista is essentially a Huge heavy crossbow fixed in place. Its size makes it hard for most creatures to aim it. Thus, a Medium creature takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls when using a ballista, and a Small creature takes a -6 penalty. It takes a creature smaller than Large two full-round actions to reload the ballista after firing.

A ballista takes up a space 5 feet across.

Ballista 500 gp, 3d8 19-20crit 120 ft. increment, 1 crew member

zergling.exe
2018-01-22, 01:29 AM
Hi,

I have an Enveloping Pit. I made 4 floors inside it and I want to put a balista on the top one. The idea is that I'll make an homemade shield, which consist of strap with a plain circle of woods on it. The Enveloping pit will be on the shield and always open. The opening of the pit will be directly in front of the balista. I'll aim the monster with my shield and shout to the NPC working for me in the pit to fire with the ballista. The balista will be attach to the flood and will never move, the NPC only fire and reload it.

1) Usually there's a attack roll penalty when someone attack with a ballista. Does it apply in the situation I described?

2) If there's 2 NPC are reloading it, does it takes half the time ? (1 full-round action instead of 2)

3) In term of actions, If I proceed like previously mentionned, do I still have my movement and standard action? I'll have to aim with the shield and shout so my free action is taken for sure. i was wondering which actions could be left in this situation.

4) for the 500 gp, does it comes with multiple 'arrows' or I have to buy them individually?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Ballista
A ballista is essentially a Huge heavy crossbow fixed in place. Its size makes it hard for most creatures to aim it. Thus, a Medium creature takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls when using a ballista, and a Small creature takes a -6 penalty. It takes a creature smaller than Large two full-round actions to reload the ballista after firing.

A ballista takes up a space 5 feet across.

Ballista 500 gp, 3d8 19-20crit 120 ft. increment, 1 crew member

1) As long as the creature is Medium, they would take the penalty. The NPC would still be the one making the attack roll, not the one holding the shield.

2) Yes, as Heroes of Battle specifies an additional crewman will reduce the time needed to reload.

3) Pointing the shield would take an action determined by your DM. Since you do not make an attack roll you don't have to worry using an action to attack.

4) Ballista bolts cost 1gp as specified by Heroes of Battle.