PDA

View Full Version : An alterntive to making a PC Large size

Davrix
2018-01-22, 06:39 AM
So me and my Dm tried an experiment on letting me play a Large character. While fun in some ways (it worked better in 4th ed) In 5th its proven to be more annoying then its worth. So we had a small Retcon and nixed it out.

Now that being said both me and the DM sort of miss that aspect a little so here is what we were thinking of doing as a substitute of being large, we instead are toying with a modified vs of powerful build. Let me know what you all think.

Powerful Build.
You count as one size larger when
determining your carrying capacity, grappling, knocking an enemy prone and the weight you
can push, drag, or lift.

nickl_2000
2018-01-22, 07:47 AM
Sure, you can house rule it, there is no reason why you can't. It starts getting silly with Enlarge, but that can be mitigated at the table to prevent cheese where necessary

Azgeroth
2018-01-22, 09:56 AM
why not simply append it to,

You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity, the wieght you can drag, lift, or push, and any Strength Ability Check.

covers grappling, shoving, throwing, or anything else your DM might ask for..

BloodOgre
2018-01-22, 01:02 PM

You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity, the wieght you can drag, lift, or push, and any Strength Ability Check.

I don't have Volo's in front of me, but isn't that what the Goliath gets?

nickl_2000
2018-01-22, 01:11 PM
I don't have Volo's in front of me, but isn't that what the Goliath gets?

Yes, but they only get it for drag, lift, and push. Not for other strength checks

Maxilian
2018-01-22, 01:54 PM
Sure, you can house rule it, there is no reason why you can't. It starts getting silly with Enlarge, but that can be mitigated at the table to prevent cheese where necessary

Not more silly as having a Goliath enlarged, is hardly a problem, it is amusing to watch though

Maxilian
2018-01-22, 01:55 PM

Imho dont include str check, its most likely to be troublesome

Davrix
2018-01-22, 05:52 PM
Imho dont include str check, its most likely to be troublesome

I think your missing the point then behind the change, it wasn't simply meant to slap on the trait like a goliath but more of simulating that Heracles moment of lifting something big, which i think it does. The reason me and the Dm went with large was suppose to be a cool feature of the character / make him stand out. It just proved to be to much of a hassle mechanically so this is what we were thinking for a solution.

Also re-wording it to all strength checks does make it read far better and its more straightforward thanks.

As for the enlarge spell I wouldn't worry to much. No one in the game has it on their spell list and honestly unless its a plot point to resolve something thematically (lifting a drawbridge for the extreme example) I'm cool with leaving it by the wayside.