V
Durkon
Lien?
Kazumi and Daigo as cohorts, perhaps.

Team 2;

Haley
Belkar
Roy if they can resurrect him

There's a really big deficiency in team two. No muscle without Roy, no healing even. Lien might've been able to, but she's following Hinjo's junk. (oh, gods. I hate myself.)

There are two named clerics in the city who can cast Raise Dead;

Redcloak and Tsukiko.

Redcloak, not likely. But, joining them to get revenge on Redcloak is the kind of thing that Tsukiko *might* do. Also, she was in the throne room, with the best capability to filch the diamond component from Shojo's failed resurrection.

So, my prediction is that they meet Tsukiko while she's ranting about what the goblin did, they assume that she's on the Azurite side, and she joins the party after rezzing Roy. The only problem is that she'd be more likely to zombify Roy than resurrect him. The question is, is she smart enough to pretend to be good? Because, she is well set up as a member of team two. She could handle both the divine and arcane magic.

Rethorn
2007-08-25, 06:08 PM
She might actually enjoy being on Haley and Belkar's team. She was in prison, so her and Belkar could swap chaotic-evil prison stories.

Cade Shadow
2007-08-25, 06:12 PM
Diamonds are consumed in the casting. Also, Tsukiko doesn't have to pretend to be good, she could just be a 'belkar' (poor Haley)

Green Bean
2007-08-25, 06:22 PM
She might actually enjoy being on Haley and Belkar's team. She was in prison, so her and Belkar could swap chaotic-evil prison stories.

Come to think of it, that would mean Belkar probably saw Tsukiko before in prison. So, lying about alignment is out, unless our dual-caster friend can convince Belkar to keep quiet.

yoshi927
2007-08-25, 06:32 PM
Come to think of it, that would mean Belkar probably saw Tsukiko before in prison. So, lying about alignment is out, unless our dual-caster friend can convince Belkar to keep quiet.If she's around the level of the OoTS, she might even be able to get rid of Belkar's MoJ with Limited Wish, so that'd be one way to keep him quiet.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-08-25, 07:30 PM
Come to think of it, that would mean Belkar probably saw Tsukiko before in prison. So, lying about alignment is out, unless our dual-caster friend can convince Belkar to keep quiet.

Unfortunately, Roy also saw Tsukiko being offered a reduced sentence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html), so he knows she's a criminal, and if she does indeed Raise him...

Regneva
2007-08-25, 09:13 PM
Well Belkar knows she "was" a criminal but he saw her get reduced sentence to fight against Xykon.

But he DIDN'T see her turn against the azure city. Neither did Roy. She doesn't have to tell lies, she can just tell the truth and leave one little detail out, keeping her hands clean. They would have the mutual goal of "escaping" and thats reasonable

yoshi927
2007-08-25, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, Roy also saw Tsukiko being offered a reduced sentence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html), so he knows she's a criminal, and if she does indeed Raise him...That's a good point, but it might still work. I mean, you don't expect him to stop Belkar, right? And as far as he knows, she's been fighting for AC this whole time. Heck, Roy might even decide to keep her on parole.

Zencao
2007-08-25, 09:33 PM
I think Tsukiko (or however you spell her damn name >.> ) and Belkar would make an awesome, he kills at close range, she re-animates and attack from long range.

vegataat
2007-08-25, 09:55 PM
Should we add her to Belkar's romantic interest list?

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-08-25, 10:30 PM
Should we add her to Belkar's romantic interest list?

:smallbiggrin: He he he...

Tsukiko could join the group, but it will be very unexpected and cercumstantial. As in Goblins attack, team up.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-25, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately, Roy also saw Tsukiko being offered a reduced sentence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html), so he knows she's a criminal, and if she does indeed Raise him...

Really? You think that if Tsukiko raised Roy, he would kill her, the woman who breathed the essence of life back into his very soul? Yeah, and SHE'S supposed to be evil.

lord of pixies
2007-08-26, 12:18 AM
its obvios that belcar would like her more because she was evil, only question is if he could ceep that from haley

Jasdoif
2007-08-26, 12:23 AM
Really? You think that if Tsukiko raised Roy, he would kill her, the woman who breathed the essence of life back into his very soul? Yeah, and SHE'S supposed to be evil.Roy doesn't have to allow Tsukiko to raise him. As is the case with any life restoring spell, he will know her name, alignment and patron deity (if applicable); and can refuse to return on that basis.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 12:54 AM
Roy doesn't have to allow Tsukiko to raise him. As is the case with any life restoring spell, he will know her name, alignment and patron deity (if applicable); and can refuse to return on that basis.

True. However, even though Roy is Lawful Good, he doesn't seem like the type who would be picky. He's smart enough to realize that this might be his ONLY chance to ever return, and if he wants to, he'll take it. He may not trust Tsukiko, knowing that she's evil, but if he puts up with Belkar all the time, he'd probably accept a raise from Tsukiko.

Wolfman42666
2007-08-26, 04:24 AM
This is nice and speculative, but honestly I want Tsukiko on team evil, I don't know what mystic theruges are capable of, but watching her duel V or Durkon for one of the gates is too funny not to try.

I don't see her wanting to escape when she could bring Haley and Belkar in, and she did say she was going to animate a corpse to be free-willed, hmm I don't really know how that works but I've got another suggestion.

How about;
Tsukiko sees Haley and Belkar carrying Roy's corpse, she therefore knows he's reasonably high level she makes him a free willed undead, try's to escape Belkar and Haley beat and then threaten her. Viola it's skullsey all over again (except longer for Roy to be raised) :smallconfused: If someone is zomibified or made into any kind of undead then killed again, can you ressurect their corpse?

Dark Wolf
2007-08-26, 06:45 AM
Reference to SOD

Xykon kills a druid and seems OCD about animating anyone he kills. Later he fights Dorukan who says he can get over animating the corpse of his girlfriend but he has spent years looking for her soul, which Xykon soul bound. So I'd say you can resurect someone if their corpse has been animated.

Solo
2007-08-26, 08:19 AM
I don't know what mystic theruges are capable of,

Sucking, I believe.

Kish
2007-08-26, 08:21 AM
This is nice and speculative, but honestly I want Tsukiko on team evil, I don't know what mystic theruges are capable of,
A Mystic Thuerge gains one caster level in both her arcane and divine spellcasting class whenever she gains a level.

Hyrael
2007-08-26, 09:33 AM
Here's what i see as another way to get roy Rezzed:
Haley and Belkar see REdcloak handing out Scrolls of Raise Dead, for use on anyone who was above 6th level, as they need the high-level troops back. Also, one Scoll specificaly to be used on Jim ":redcloak: The Guy's got a wife and four kids, and their house is mortgaged to the hilt."
Haley and Belkar kill one of the clerics and steal the scroll. Then Haley uses UMD (I know we havent seen her use it before, but there hasnt been any situation where she would have, anyway. besides, ":haley: What kind of rogue doesnt have ranks in UMD?" There's a Blinding flash, and roy is Raised, but perhaps hilarity could ensue form some sort of casting mishap, as haley isnt that good at UMD
":roy: Why the HELLs is Miko in here with me?!"
":miko: Yeah, I'm REEALY happy about this myself."

yoshi927
2007-08-26, 09:39 AM
Haley and Belkar see REdcloak handing out Scrolls of Raise Dead, for use on anyone who was above 6th level, as they need the high-level troops back. Also, one Scoll specificaly to be used on Jim ":redcloak: The Guy's got a wife and four kids, and their house is mortgaged to the hilt."
Haley and Belkar kill one of the clerics and steal the scroll. Then Haley uses UMD (I know we havent seen her use it before, but there hasnt been any situation where she would have, anyway. besides, ":haley: What kind of rogue doesnt have ranks in UMD?" There's a Blinding flash, and roy is Raised, but perhaps hilarity could ensue form some sort of casting mishap, as haley isnt that good at UMD
":miko: Yeah, I'm REEALY happy about this myself." I'm not sure that Use Magical Device allows you to use scrolls. Aren't the conditions for a scroll that it has to A. be a spell that you can cast and B. you have to decipher it? And even if they did that, one Raise Dead is good for one corpse. If there was some way to bring back two people with one, it would be a result of amazing experience rather than ineptitude. :smallbiggrin: Although, if there's any way for that to happen, Miko covers the healing too.

Kish
2007-08-26, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure that Use Magical Device allows you to use scrolls.
I'm the last person to advocate for previous editions, but considering Use Magic Device originated in earlier-edition rogues I mean thieves being able to use wizard/sorcerer I mean magic-user scrolls, it would be really ironic if scrolls were the one magical item type it didn't cover now.

FrostXian
2007-08-26, 11:22 AM
":miko: Yeah, I'm REEALY happy about this myself."
Or "Why is there an arrow on, no, IN my balls?"

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-26, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure that Use Magical Device allows you to use scrolls. Aren't the conditions for a scroll that it has to A. be a spell that you can cast and B. you have to decipher it? And even if they did that, one Raise Dead is good for one corpse. If there was some way to bring back two people with one, it would be a result of amazing experience rather than ineptitude. :smallbiggrin: Although, if there's any way for that to happen, Miko covers the healing too.

It does allow you to use them, it's just a lot easier if you cover all those points. If you don't, you have to Emulate them.

Haley would need to Emulate a Class Feature (DC 20) for the lack of spellcasting and assuming she didn't have the requisite Wis 15, she'd need to make a 30 on another check to Emulate Ability Score (Result-15 is the effective score). Deciphering the scroll would be a DC 30 (So assuming she can get the ability score she's fine).

Oh, and I think the designed humour in that idea would be better encompassed by there being a "mishap" such as one shown in Heroes of Horror. For example, Miko could be brought back in Roy's body, or Miko and Roy could be a split-personality in his body. Actually, that latter one would work perfectly for this comic, because the precise description is "someone else who died near the subject at some point in the past". Might be a bit of a leap, but it works.

Jasdoif
2007-08-26, 12:06 PM
Haley would need to Emulate a Class Feature (DC 20) for the lack of spellcastingNo, she would need to make a check to Use a Scroll (DC 20 + scroll's caster level, almost assuredly 29 for raise dead). Class spell list isn't a class feature. The rest is correct.

Although the likelihood of Redcloak handing out 6,125gp scrolls seems rate slim to me, particularly since gentle repose will keep corpses from decaying until he has prepared raise dead spells, and those hobgoblin clerics are capable of casting gentle respose themselves. He'll save 1,125gp a piece that way.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-26, 12:58 PM
Alternatively, Animate Dead would probably be more cost-effective. However, we know that Azure City has a good few clerics, who can certainly afford to use Raise Dead. It's probable there are scrolls lying around and since Xykon's army now occupies AC...

And Haley isn't a spellcaster, so she would need to emulate the class feature of a Cleric's spellcasting, then cast the scroll using the DC 29 UMD. However, if she can even make that DC 30, she probably won't have much problem with it.

Caractacus
2007-08-26, 01:00 PM
Oh, and I think the designed humour in that idea would be better encompassed by there being a "mishap" such as one shown in Heroes of Horror. For example, Miko could be brought back in Roy's body, or Miko and Roy could be a split-personality in his body. Actually, that latter one would work perfectly for this comic, because the precise description is "someone else who died near the subject at some point in the past". Might be a bit of a leap, but it works.

That's what FrostXian was suggesting above. Sounds a bit of a larf... :smalltongue:

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-26, 01:04 PM
Plus: It would also please both the Roy and Miko supporters, simultaneously :smallbiggrin:

boomwolf
2007-08-26, 01:48 PM
you know...
a miko/roy split personality will be quite sick...

but...a miko-in-roy-body and a roy-in-miko-body would be quite amusing...

Jasdoif
2007-08-26, 05:11 PM
And Haley isn't a spellcaster, so she would need to emulate the class feature of a Cleric's spellcasting, then cast the scroll using the DC 29 UMD.The check eliminates the need to be a caster entirely. You just need to decipher the scroll, have/emulate a sufficient ability score, and make the Use a Scroll UMD check in order for the scroll to activate.

2007-08-26, 05:22 PM
you know...
a miko/roy split personality will be quite sick...

but...a miko-in-roy-body and a roy-in-miko-body would be quite amusing...

Especially since Roy would re-die about five seconds after he was raised, since Miko has been cloven in twain.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-26, 05:42 PM
To each DM his own

boomwolf
2007-08-26, 06:38 PM
better idea...

:haley: breaks the booty charm by mistake...summoning celia (whatever she is called) to the rescue!

Chronos
2007-08-26, 07:12 PM
Actually, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Haley doesn't have UMD. If she did, she would have attempted to heal Elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html), instead of Belkar. Or more likely, they would have tried one scroll each, since a single Cure Serious Wounds would stabilize him, and almost certainly get him back into the positives.

Nor do I agree with "What kind of rogue doesnt have ranks in UMD?". It's potentially a very powerful skill, but with the DCs so high, and many items requiring multiple successful checks (you need two or even three successful checks to use a scroll, for instance), it's pretty worthless at low levels. A character who's created at low level might not bother taking ranks in a skill with a 1 in 400 chance of success, and once she gets to higher levels, it'd be tough to go from no ranks at all to a useful number of ranks (she might, for instance, have to spend an entire level's worth of skill points on UMD). Besides, most balanced parties will already have other characters who can use most magical items, so how often would the rogue even have an opportunity to try?

Even if Haley has maxed ranks in UMD and a 16 Charisma, she'd have a slim chance of casting Raise Dead from a scroll. She'd need to make three UMD checks, with DCs of 30, 30, and 29 respectively: First, she'd need to decipher the writing, at a DC of 25 + spell level (5). Then, she'd need to emulate a 15 Wisdom (which she almost certainly doesn't have naturally), at a DC of 15 + ability score (15). Finally, she'd have to make a check to actually use the scroll, at a DC of 20 + caster level, and the minimum caster level for Raise Dead is 9. She rolls her checks at +19 (+16 skill ranks, +3 cha bonus), meaning that she'd have to roll at least two 11s and a 10, a mere 13.75% chance. And even if she beat those odds, that just brings Roy up to 1 HP, with no further means of magical healing, in a city infested with hobgoblins. She'd have to be pretty hard-pressed to face those odds, instead of just holding out until she can rejoin Durkon.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-26, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure I'd call #58 representative of Haley's lack of UMD, in #57 panel 11 we can see her firing her bow, so she's probably a bit busy to be making UMD checks.

Mawhrin Skel
2007-08-26, 08:23 PM
Haley
Belkar
Roy if they can resurrect him

There's a really big deficiency in team two. No muscle without Roy, no healing even. Lien might've been able to, but she's following Hinjo's junk. (oh, gods. I hate myself.)
Potentially O-chul too if they can rescue him. He should be good in a stand up fight and have at least a little healing. It looks to me like Team Evil will remove the paralysis so he can be interrogated.