PDA

View Full Version : Supermax prison for unkillable monsters

Greywander
2018-01-22, 04:57 PM
I'm prepping for a solo campaign where I'll be using a virtual DM, meaning it's up to me to actually design everything. The original idea was to start as a wizard that was turned into a lich through a magical accident, and the first session is a prison break. Thinking about the context a bit more, I came to the conclusion that, despite not being evil, my wizard was mistaken for a true blue evil lich and jumped by a bunch of paladins and cleric. Since they couldn't find his phylactery (because it doesn't exist), they decided to imprison him until the phylactery was found and destroyed. Thus, the nature of the prison itself would be a maximum security prison specifically designed to hold monsters and other creatures that either cannot be killed, or that would be undesirable to kill. I also thought it would make for a good quest if the inmates took over the dungeon and I would have to return much later when I'm much higher level to clear out the bad guys and reclaim the dungeon.

In this thread, I'm basically fishing for ideas on how to design the prison, as well as coming up with some other inmates.

Let's start with the design of the dungeon. The tricky part is that my wizard, as a 1st level character, needs to be able to escape the dungeon. The other tricky part is that I'd like to stay consistent with what should be possible according to the rules of the game. So, probably no permanent anti-magic fields, since the Anti-Magic Field spell doesn't have a permanency clause. Also, from my understanding, only spells up to 5th level are commonly known, with anything 6th level and higher officially not existing (so those claiming to have seen a 6th level spell would be treated like UFO conspiracy theorists). That said, for such a high-security dungeon for the most dangerous monsters, the guards are likely going to be the strongest available. I'm thinking that the guards would mostly fall in the range of 5th to 10th level, with a few exceptional individuals that were higher level.

For the general design of the dungeon, I'm inclined to use as many geographical features as possible to contain the inmates. For example, the dungeon itself is in the basement of a super strong tower (no chance to tunnel out), with the only exit at the top of the tower (have to fight through all the guards). After a drop long enough to insta-gib most monsters, the tower is then surrounded lava or acid or something, and then by a wall that's even higher than the tower, so you basically need a Fly spell or flying speed to get in and out of the dungeon. Then place the dungeon in the middle of the ocean, miles from any land. I don't think a 1st level character would be able to escape from such a place, however, but maybe I could work out a way to get some help.

For my own cell, I'm thinking something surprisingly mundane. The lich would be bound (no somatic components), gagged (no verbal components), and blindfolded (no line of sight for targeting). He would then be chained in the center of the cell so he can't move about (even if the door was opened, he couldn't escape). The cherry on the top is that the entire room is then flooded with sand. There's probably some sort of mechanism for filling and draining the room of sand. Ultimately, I would rely on the other inmates to spring me out, as I'd be unable to escape on my own power.

The inmates are also kind of tricky, as I'm not aware of too many monsters that simply can't be killed. The first thing that popped into my head was Rakshasas, which only die forever if you kill them in the Nine Hells. So, rather than kill him and look forward to him coming back for revenge later, someone opted to stick him in a dungeon forever. I'm not aware of too many other monsters like that, though. Otherwise, any monster with Rejuvination (liches, mummy lords, revenants, and nagas) would be obvious, but there aren't too many of those. I'm also thinking any monster that regenerates HP might be too difficult for anything but a high level adventurer to kill, especially something like a troll that mutated an immunity to fire and acid. However, I'm not certain why they couldn't just starve such monsters to death.

Unoriginal
2018-01-22, 05:14 PM
I'm prepping for a solo campaign where I'll be using a virtual DM, meaning it's up to me to actually design everything. The original idea was to start as a wizard that was turned into a lich through a magical accident, and the first session is a prison break. Thinking about the context a bit more, I came to the conclusion that, despite not being evil, my wizard was mistaken for a true blue evil lich and jumped by a bunch of paladins and cleric. Since they couldn't find his phylactery (because it doesn't exist), they decided to imprison him until the phylactery was found and destroyed.

So the wizard isn't actually a lich? Just an Undead?

Let's start with the design of the dungeon. The tricky part is that my wizard, as a 1st level character, needs to be able to escape the dungeon.

If it's a high-security prison, your wizard isn't going to be able to do this.

If the Paladins or whatever have a brain, they'll just put the presumed lich in a metal jar filled with concrete, then let it harden, then solder the lid on it.

The other tricky part is that I'd like to stay consistent with what should be possible according to the rules of the game. So, probably no permanent anti-magic fields, since the Anti-Magic Field spell doesn't have a permanency clause.

There is more magic than what is covered in the Spell section, you know. Could simply magically enchanted to be anti-magic (though it would be expensive and long)

Also, from my understanding, only spells up to 5th level are commonly known, with anything 6th level and higher officially not existing (so those claiming to have seen a 6th level spell would be treated like UFO conspiracy theorists).

No? High-level magic is rare and not well-know, but Archmages can and do cast 9th level spells. Archmages (and other casters of equivalent power) aren't common, but a few of them and their feats of might are probably well-known.

That said, for such a high-security dungeon for the most dangerous monsters, the guards are likely going to be the strongest available. I'm thinking that the guards would mostly fall in the range of 5th to 10th level, with a few exceptional individuals that were higher level.

Don't think of NPCs by level, but by CR. A CR 12 individual is already legendary.

I don't think a 1st level character would be able to escape from such a place, however, but maybe I could work out a way to get some help.

Aside from outside help, I doubt you have a chance.

The inmates are also kind of tricky, as I'm not aware of too many monsters that simply can't be killed. The first thing that popped into my head was Rakshasas, which only die forever if you kill them in the Nine Hells. So, rather than kill him and look forward to him coming back for revenge later, someone opted to stick him in a dungeon forever. I'm not aware of too many other monsters like that, though. Otherwise, any monster with Rejuvination (liches, mummy lords, revenants, and nagas) would be obvious, but there aren't too many of those. I'm also thinking any monster that regenerates HP might be too difficult for anything but a high level adventurer to kill, especially something like a troll that mutated an immunity to fire and acid. However, I'm not certain why they couldn't just starve such monsters to death.

Devils and Demons can't be killed in the Material Plane, either.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-22, 05:14 PM
As for why monsters are imprisoned rather than killed:

Imagine a D&D nation under rule of law, where the mere suspicion of guilt, or even proof of a minor crime, does not merit a death sentence (weird, I know).

This prison might not be for the unkillable, but for sapient beings who do not warrant an actual capital punishment. A goblin kidnapper isn't a nice person, but he might not be executed by a LG nation.

You can include a much wider variety of inmates this way.

Edit: If you're not in a supermax facility, you'll also be able to skimp on guards/defenses a bit, making it easier for your PC to escape.

Droodicus
2018-01-22, 05:23 PM
Demons and devils might be good choices. Keeping them trapped on the prime material plane instead of banishing them back down to their home plane.

You could also make it some forms of evil menagerie where either someone is studying big evils. Opens up a lot of monster options.
then either have a big bad bust you out thinking you're a powerful lich or you could escape in the aftermath fighting your way out through escaped or summoned level appropriate baddies

Greywander
2018-01-22, 05:59 PM
So the wizard isn't actually a lich? Just an Undead?
Basically yes. Although creatures like baelnorns set a precedence for liches with no phylacteries.

If it's a high-security prison, your wizard isn't going to be able to do this.
Not by himself, no, but with the other prisoners rioting and drawing the attention of the guards, it's not inconceivable that he would be able to slip out in the chaos.

If the Paladins or whatever have a brain, they'll just put the presumed lich in a metal jar filled with concrete, then let it harden, then solder the lid on it.
This isn't far off from the cell I've designed for him (bound, gagged, chained, and buried in sand). It's just designed to be opened once the phylactery is found and destroyed so they can be rid of him for good.

There is more magic than what is covered in the Spell section, you know. Could simply magically enchanted to be anti-magic (though it would be expensive and long)
True. One would have to consider the financial drain of the prison on whatever kingdom or kingdoms are running it. At some point, the cost becomes untenable and the prison either doesn't exist or gets downsized. The question, then, is not if it's possible, but if it's reasonable that someone would pay for it.

No? High-level magic is rare and not well-know, but Archmages can and do cast 9th level spells. Archmages (and other casters of equivalent power) aren't common, but a few of them and their feats of might are probably well-known.
I can't recall where I heard such a thing, and I suppose there are many different ways to portray magic in your game, but I think it fits with the lower magic setting that is 5e. In this case, archmages are like Area 51: sure, maybe the government does have a captured alien vessel, but it's kept secret from the public and UFO enthusiasts are still regarded as nuts. At the same time, though, people assume that governments are up to some shady and super secret stuff, so the existence of a place like Area 51 isn't entirely dismissed as impossible. Likewise, people would assume that an archmage has magical powers beyond the ken of the average mage, but no one is actually certain what they're capable of. You might read about the existence of a 9th level spell in a book, but you'd likely be hard pressed to get an archmage to admit that, yes, he can cast that spell.

Don't think of NPCs by level, but by CR. A CR 12 individual is already legendary.
Looking at the knight, priest, and mage NPCs, those CRs range from 3 to 6, and have access to 3rd level spells (CR 3) and 5th level spells (CR 6), which roughly fits with my description of 5th to 10th level. I could build NPCs with class levels, but I can also just take an existing stat block and add spells and maybe a couple class features to get a pretty good approximation.

Aside from outside help, I doubt you have a chance.
Potential plot hook? I'll have to mull this one over, I still need to figure out how/why the prison riot starts in the first place, so instigation by an outside source wouldn't be unreasonable.

Devils and Demons can't be killed in the Material Plane, either.
This is a good point. I initially dismissed this because I didn't think devils or demons typically hang out on the Material Plane, with Rakshasas being one of the exceptions.

As for why monsters are imprisoned rather than killed:
- snip -
Edit: If you're not in a supermax facility, you'll also be able to skimp on guards/defenses a bit, making it easier for your PC to escape.
At first I wanted to point out that minor criminals not deserving the death penalty probably wouldn't be sent to such a prison, but you make a good point that a prison designed to hold more than just the most dangerous criminals would probably be easier to escape from. It would likely only be the deepest level of the dungeon that was maximum security, making it much easier to slip out during a riot.

Demons and devils might be good choices. Keeping them trapped on the prime material plane instead of banishing them back down to their home plane.

You could also make it some forms of evil menagerie where either someone is studying big evils. Opens up a lot of monster options.
This is actually an interesting idea. They're not there necessarily because they can't be killed, but because someone wants them alive, presumably for nefarious reasons. I smell a plot hook. It's nice when you can chain quests together so that the end of one quest results in a hook for the next one.

then either have a big bad bust you out thinking you're a powerful lich
This was the plan from the beginning. "Oh, a skeleton spellcaster? Must be a lich. Sure, I'll bust you out if you help us escape." Hopefully they aren't too disappointed.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-22, 06:07 PM
Even if your level 1 wizard lich is in the Supermax section the the prison, presumably through some sort of clerical error (pun intended), he might be in the middle of a transfer between cells, or daily interrogation when the jailbreak/riot happens and most of the guards get called away to deal with the more urgent matter. His cell may be impregnable for a level 1 wizard, but the interrogation room (or exercise yard or whatever) might not be.

Quoz
2018-01-23, 12:15 AM
Alternate take on the same concept: your prison is an archmage's laboratory. Every creature there is a rare, exotic, or unique specimen for study. Some might be there for full vivisection and worse, others maybe only for lengthy chats about their homelands, customs, and magics. This would allow for a more flexible security level (mostly golems and other constructs, the wizard is kind of a hermit) and cooperative prisoners getting enough perks to get some freedom on the grounds.

Escape could happen when the master is away for an extended period and a less capable assistant or apprentice is left in charge.

It would also make a great reason to come back later, as it would certainly hold a treasure trove of lore for your own high level studies.

Nidgit
2018-01-23, 02:38 AM
Another option is for your prison to have some sort of in-house monstrous guards or warden that are trained/employed to maintain order within the jail. Something like trained Salamanders or Remorhazes with a Behir or White Dragon as the chief jailer. Then some clever other inmate can find someway to turn or control them and start the prison break.

Greywander
2018-01-23, 02:54 AM
Thanks for all the help, everyone, I'm beginning to put together a much more coherent idea of the prison, its overseers, its inmates, and several of the hows and the whys. There's conspiracies, plots, betrayals, and, of course, lots of treasure.

I've been thinking about drawing some OotS style comics of the campaign as I play (see my avatar for an example of my work), so maybe I'll be able to share the journey. You know, whenever I finishing prepping and actually start the darn thing. I'm still reading up on the setting I'm using, Bard's Gate. I got it on Humble Bundle a little while back, and it is quite a thorough and dense document (400+ pages in small font, it even has a section on property value). I should probably just jump in and worry about the details later.

Wilko
2018-01-23, 03:56 AM
If you don't want permanent anti-magic fields to really be a thing you could still have your cake and eat it by declaring that the paladin order who run the place are the protectors of The Mcguffin of Doom, a powerful evil, and unique artifact which also happens to suppress all magic within X distance of it. This would explain why only they were capable of building this prison...

As to your list of inmates;

Death Knight - you have an order of paladins, and a death knight is "Immortal Until Redeemed"

Medusa - gives you some fun designing a cell where they can monitor the inhabitant without looking at them.

Naga - probably Spirit nagas, they are evil and won't stay dead short of a wish

Undead - most types could be on the list but you would have to consider why they were captured rather than destroyed.

Litchs - Assuming your character is not the first "Litch" they have imprisoned you should bear in mind they they would likely know that a "Starved" litch will degenerate into a demilitch, so your restraints would be designed to handle that transformation.

Yugoloths - again fiends that can only die on their home plane