PDA

View Full Version : I'm Planning To Play A Male Human Cleric With Autism

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-22, 08:21 PM
Hey everybody, It's your truly once again. I'm planning to play a Neutral Good Male Human Cleric Of Pelor who was born with Autism. I haven't completed his character sheet yet but I'll show you anyway: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1397115 Also just to let you know that Shaun Murphy is inspired by a doctor who's has the same diagnosis and the same name in the hit TV show the Good Doctor. So how can I become a successful cleric with Autism and also how to build Shaun Murphy? Any advice anyone? :smile:

Mike Miller
2018-01-22, 09:00 PM
My honest advice is not to bring a real world mental health problem into an RPG like D&D. If you want a character with mental health issues, go cartoony

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-22, 09:06 PM
My honest advice is not to bring a real world mental health problem into an RPG like D&D. If you want a character with mental health issues, go cartoony

What do you mean by cartoony? :confused:

EliDupree
2018-01-22, 09:07 PM
I generally agree with that word of caution. However, there's an important caveat – if you're autistic yourself, as I am, there's nothing wrong with playing a character that reflects your own way of living. (If you're not, you'll probably just end up acting out a stereotype – especially if your only background knowledge of it comes from a TV show.)

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-22, 09:09 PM
I generally agree with that word of caution. However, there's an important caveat – if you're autistic yourself, as I am, there's nothing wrong with playing a character that reflects your own way of living. (If you're not, you'll probably just end up acting out a stereotype – especially if your only background knowledge of it comes from a TV show.)
Ok. I'm autistic myself. I could see why that this bring some red flags to some people.