PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Disciple + Corruption as casting stat

Yogibear41
2018-01-22, 10:22 PM
If I am using the taint rules and have a prestige class that uses my taint/corruption as my casting stat instead of my normal casting stat, and I take the Arcane Disciple feat, do I use wisdom or my corruption score for the spells I cast via that feat?

NontheistCleric
2018-01-22, 11:46 PM
you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat.

Seems pretty clear that you would use Wisdom.

weckar
2018-01-23, 04:04 AM
Would you mind posting a snippet with the exact wording from your prestige class? This may be one of those unresolvables of two absolutes.

Goaty14
2018-01-23, 07:04 AM
The prestige class "Tainted Scholar" (HoH, pg 114) changes the previous class casting to taint.

Tainted Spellcasting (Su): Rather than using a key ability
score for spellcasting, you use your corruption and depravity
scores. To cast a spell, you must have a depravity score at
least equal to the spell’s level. Your bonus spells
are based on a number equal to your depravity
score + 10, and saving throws against your spells
have a DC of 10 + spell level + 1/2 your corruption
score.
The Arcane Disciple (CD, pg 79) is a feat that allows you to cast a few domain spells a day, provided you have enough WIS.

Add the chosen domain’s spells to your class list
of arcane spells (...) You may learn these spells as normal for your class; however,
you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for
your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the
spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to
10 + the spell’s level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained
from this feat

RAI: Tainted scholar only applies to arcane spells (it advances arcane casting, and taint is accumulated for casting arcane spells)
RAW: I don't know? I would just rule in favor of whichever was applied last, given that they both inherently clash. I guess my answer is:
Arcane Disciple adds to your class list of spells, and is casted off your class list, so thus is affected by Tainted Casting

Elrak
2018-01-23, 07:38 AM
I think an argument can be made for either side however I personally would rule this as having you use your Wis modifier. I see it as the prestige class being a general rule with the feat Arcane Disciple being a specific rule concerning solely the spells granted by the same. I may be wrong though so I would probably discuss with your DM/gaming group what they think works best for your table.

Lapak
2018-01-23, 07:43 AM
I think an argument can be made for either side however I personally would rule this as having you use your Wis modifier. I see it as the prestige class being a general rule with the feat Arcane Disciple being a specific rule concerning solely the spells granted by the same. I may be wrong though so I would probably discuss with your DM/gaming group what they think works best for your table.FWIW, this is how I would read it too. Your class spellcasting stat has been changed, but the feat explicitly ignores your class stat whatever it may be. I’d assume AD spells are running off Wisdom.