PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars D20

talagan
2007-08-25, 08:37 PM
So I have several books on DnD and me and my group are gonan try something new. We are gonna alternate games each week, and I was wondering, Any tips for SWD20? So far all we have is the one book. We know DnD In and out, so is the learning curve gonna be a little easier... Any tips really.

Saucy_Ninja
2007-08-25, 08:43 PM
My friends and I are starting up our own SWD20 campaign ourselves. First piece of advice: if you wanna stick close to D&D 3.5 rules, make sure you have the Star Wars Revised Corebook. NOT the Sagas edition. The latter is supposedly newer...but the system is skewed beyond belief.

clarkcd
2007-08-25, 08:51 PM
My friends and I are starting up our own SWD20 campaign ourselves. First piece of advice: if you wanna stick close to D&D 3.5 rules, make sure you have the Star Wars Revised Corebook. NOT the Sagas edition.

I would agree with this. There is more commonality between 3E D&D and OCR or RCR SW than there is with SAGA. That said, SAGA is still D20 and with a few minor hicups our group was able to convert very easily from RCR to SAGA.

The latter is supposedly newer...but the system is skewed beyond belief.

This I must disagree with. SAGA, while still D20, is loosely based around the same rules set as 3.5 D&D. There are many, many similarities but there are also many differences. I and, from the response I've seen on the WotC SW boards, most people are impressed and quite pleased with the new SAGA edition. Sure it isn't for everyone but I wouldn't call it "skewed beyond belief".

Saucy_Ninja
2007-08-25, 08:57 PM
Fair enough.

I suppose my main beef against SAGA's is the new system for skills. And the cutting of Force Skills. I also miss the Jedi Guardian/Jedi Consular classes. Alot.

Logic
2007-08-25, 09:43 PM
I wish that they had not named "Jedi" a base class. It should be "force user" dammit!

talagan
2007-08-25, 09:52 PM
I Don't necessarily want to follow extremely closely with Dnd. The point is to try something new. Is Saga Broken or just really different.
(P.s. We have the book that is gold and black with the darth vader on the front, fully willing to buy a new one though.)

Pokemaster
2007-08-25, 10:49 PM
I Don't necessarily want to follow extremely closely with Dnd. The point is to try something new. Is Saga Broken or just really different.
(P.s. We have the book that is gold and black with the darth vader on the front, fully willing to buy a new one though.)

Yeah, that should be the Saga edition book. As far as I know, it isn't broken, but you can't approach it like you would 3.5E D&D. The main advantage of Saga is that you can just pick whatever classes give you the abilities that are best suited for your character and go with those, so you could end up with a character that has levels in all of the base classes, or a Jedi Master who has 20 levels in the Noble class. The Revised Core Rulebook is almost a direct port of D&D, but... it's almost a direct port of D&D. I think that it loses a lot of the setting-specific flavour that the Saga edition has.

BardicDuelist
2007-08-26, 01:23 AM
I like the SAGA edtion. My problem with SW is that we tend to end up with a party of Jedi. What I like about it is that, even with a party of Jedi, with some very simple multiclassing, it doesn't really matter. The need for balanced parties no longer exists.

brian c
2007-08-26, 01:26 AM
Fair enough.

I suppose my main beef against SAGA's is the new system for skills. And the cutting of Force Skills. I also miss the Jedi Guardian/Jedi Consular classes. Alot.

All indications point to a high probability of you not liking 4th edition D&D then.

talagan
2007-08-26, 02:55 AM
The jedi thing won't be a problem. Are group had a test run with Saga. I can't remember the specifics but it was droid assasin thing. Wookie assasin thing, and a noble. We really don't want to touch jedi at all.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 04:32 PM
From what I can tell, Saga is a major improvement over previous D20 Star Wars efforts. Your experience may vary, though. One thing worth mentioning is that the Skill System need not cause that much of a problem. If you really want to have more variable Skill Levels, it wouldn't be difficult to replace 1/2 Character Level with X Skill Points.

Sulecrist
2007-08-27, 12:09 AM
My sole complaint with Saga is that there's very little reason to be a Jedi with a single lightsaber and nought else, at least mechanically. Iterative attacks take a lot of work to make effective (like armor, so I use neither) and two-weapon-fighters are very, very good. I still go with only one lightsaber, but I'm a Strength 8 Kel Dor Consular Jedi with Osteogenesis Imperfecta. I'm just a party face.

TheOOB
2007-08-27, 02:16 AM
I wish that they had not named "Jedi" a base class. It should be "force user" dammit!

Really though, in SAGA edition, anyone who takes the force sensitive feat can be plenty good as a force user, the jedi class just focuses around the teachings of the guardian, consuler, and sentinal, as well as lightsaber combat. Really, all things considered Jedi should be a Prestige Class (they do allready have a jedi knight and jedi master PrC, as well as several other force adept classes), but considering how prolific jedi are in star wars fiction and such they probally wanted people to be able to be jedi at first level.

Sulecrist
2007-08-27, 09:47 AM
Really though, in SAGA edition, anyone who takes the force sensitive feat can be plenty good as a force user, the jedi class just focuses around the teachings of the guardian, consuler, and sentinal, as well as lightsaber combat. Really, all things considered Jedi should be a Prestige Class (they do allready have a jedi knight and jedi master PrC, as well as several other force adept classes), but considering how prolific jedi are in star wars fiction and such they probally wanted people to be able to be jedi at first level.

A Jedi isn't really a Jedi Knight anyway. I think of them just as someone associated with the Order, in the same way that a D&D wizard is someone who's begun to study magic. A low-level Jedi could be a Padawan, a Librarian that never made it to warrior status, or whatever.

Starsinger
2007-08-27, 10:22 AM
A Jedi isn't really a Jedi Knight anyway. I think of them just as someone associated with the Order, in the same way that a D&D wizard is someone who's begun to study magic. A low-level Jedi could be a Padawan, a Librarian that never made it to warrior status, or whatever.

I can't say for Saga, but in SW:RCR a character with 7 jedi levels (in any jedi class or PrC, and a few other PrCs which said so) became a Jedi Knight, until then you're a padawan.

Sulecrist
2007-08-27, 10:53 AM
I can't say for Saga, but in SW:RCR a character with 7 jedi levels (in any jedi class or PrC, and a few other PrCs which said so) became a Jedi Knight, until then you're a padawan.

Not so in Saga--Jedi Knight and Jedi Master are prestige classes, along with Sith, Mystics, and Force Adepts. None of which require the base class of Jedi.

Attilargh
2007-08-27, 10:56 AM
And to further muddle the issue, being knighted or promoted to the rank of master does not require taking levels in the Prestige Classes, or vica versa. (Although, if I recall, a character must be seventh-level anything to make his own lightsaber.)

Zim
2007-08-27, 11:44 AM
Seems to me that your character's actions, rather than class, determine your role in the game. Titles are now in-game, not mechanics. I like that!

yango
2007-08-27, 12:11 PM

They're talent trees now, though.
I like the system of talent trees. Sure its a bit like feats, but its cool to be able to choose your class features.