PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Death domain cleric class features

TotalAwesome
2018-01-23, 01:38 PM
I'm currently DM'ing a game where a PC wanted to take the death domain (hes not evil).
I have no problem with that, but I think I should change some of the cleric normal class feats, for example, change Destroy Undead to Control Undead.
Any ideas what should I change, or suggestions?

Millstone85
2018-01-23, 03:08 PM
Are you sure your player isn't after something like the Grave domain?

Hypersmith
2018-01-23, 03:46 PM
If you aren't sure what you want to change, is there any reason to change? If the player wants the death domain specifically, that should be no problem. If the player wants less something focused on death itself, and more the sanctity of death, try the Grave domain cleric.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-23, 03:49 PM
The Death Domain can be used to represent someone like Myrkul, who was an evil god of the dead that would probably have no problem with his followers creating skeletons and zombies, as well as Kelemvor, who was a more benevolent god of the dead who would love for his followers to destroy any undead that they came across.

While Kelemvor after XGtE is probably more Grave than Death, I would have no problem with a player choosing the Death Domain and leaving everything else as is.

TLDR: Find out why your player wants that particular Domain before you change things up.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-23, 04:29 PM
I'm playing a Death Cleric in a game. This was started before Xanathar's Guide released, so no Grave domain yet. The only thing I've had to change to fit with the theme of making sure things die and stay in the natural cycle of life and death, was swapping Animate Dead from the Domain spells.

Undead-disliking Clerics don't go around raising corpses as minions.

Beyond that, it's working out nicely, IMX.

ChainsawFlwrcld
2018-01-23, 06:10 PM
Keep in mind that with Toll of the Dead from Xanathar's the Death Domain Cleric can toss out a lot more damage than when the DMG first came out.

Their Level 1 ability grants them a necromancy cantrip from any spell list that can target two creatures within range and within 5 feet of each other instead of the normal 1 target. That means, by Level 5 the Cleric casting TotD can put out 2d12 + 2d12 damage per casting on failed saves.