PDA

View Full Version : Combat on the wing

The Duskblade
2007-08-25, 08:52 PM
In the campaign I'm signed up for my Paladin was lucky enough to be allowed to use a Giant Eagle for a mount. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for fighting from the back of a flying creature.

I'm armed with a Longbow and a great sword of undead bane

My feats are: Power attack, mounted combat, Mounted archery, Imp inititive

My mounts feats are: Alertness (Standard) Flyby attack (Standard) and wingover (Up to 180 degree turn as a free action)

I'm flexible as to the feats and gear but thats what I have atm.

MrNexx
2007-08-25, 09:22 PM
In the campaign I'm signed up for my Paladin was lucky enough to be allowed to use a Giant Eagle for a mount. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for fighting from the back of a flying creature.

I'm armed with a Longbow and a great sword of undead bane

My feats are: Power attack, mounted combat, Mounted archery, Imp inititive

My mounts feats are: Alertness (Standard) Flyby attack (Standard) and wingover (Up to 180 degree turn as a free action)

I'm flexible as to the feats and gear but thats what I have atm.

Really, if you anticipate being able to stay mounted, then the great sword is not your best friend, nor is power attack. I would suggest you go with Point blank shot (because that opens up the rest of the feat tree) and far shot (because that gives you a great range modifier). Make your long bow undead bane, fly above them and just shoot until they all fall down.

kpenguin
2007-08-25, 09:25 PM
Maximize your mounted abilities: take the mounted combat tree and get a lance.

Also: swap out your mount's alertness for something else, like Hover or Improved Flight.

adanedhel9
2007-08-25, 09:54 PM
Hover or Improved Flight are nearly necessary to set up attacks against moving targets.

If you're going to try to spend most of your time mounted, Ride By Attack and Spirited Charge are rather nice - especially while smiting.

But don't expect to be able to ride all the time. Be sure to be thinking about how you'll fight without the mount as well.

Creatures can only use natural flight if they are under a light load, so you'll probably want mithril armor and let someone else carry the miscellaneous adventuring gear. This will also mean barding is pretty much impossible; the paladin spell golden barding (Complete Divine or Spell Compendium) provides a good alternative.

The Duskblade
2007-08-26, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. It was quite helpful.

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-26, 09:06 AM
Don't forget the possibilities of deadfall ordnance. A load of Alchemist fire, in a net, hung underneath the eagle, secured on on eof those knots where you pull a string and they come undone. Fly over target, pull string, scatter the area with alchemists fire. Better ammo could probably be found.

A ring of feather-fall allows aerial insertion of any rogues your party might have. Depending on how you ineterpret the trap making rules, you could build a self-fresetting rapid firing dart trap (not too expensive) and use it to sweep areas of mooks, from tree-top level. Most modern aircraft technology can be recreated using magic or alchemy.